Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopefulmedic15)
    When I read posts like these about Muslim women I always think 'which Muslims are these?' - there's nothing inherent in our religion stopping us from working. I come from a household where every person works 8-12 hour shifts for the NHS - no one is expected to stay at the homestead.

I think this is a case of backwards culture and being uneducated leading to people being forced/choosing to just look after the home regardless of their capabilities.
    Yeah I didn't actually say anything in Islam says this just that it seems to be Muslim women.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by difeo)
    Isn't it common knowledge that the best paying subjects are engineering/medicine/maths/physics etc and these are all male dominated
    Even though that may be the case, you can't tarnish everyone with the same brush as I'm going into engineering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    Yeah I didn't actually say anything in Islam says this just that it seems to be Muslim women.
    This doesn't make sense? If you think it's linked to being Muslim that means you're saying its to do with Islam's ruling and I'm saying you could not be Muslim and still be forced to be a housewife because of culture. Hence I'm saying it only seems to be Muslim women because the Muslim women who go through this are from certain cultures. Ask non-Muslim south east or East Asians and they'll tell you that it's sometimes part of their cultures for women to stay at home and leave the work to the men. Or women from Saudi Arabia aren't allowed certain jobs but women from Iraq can work any job they like - both Muslim countries but different cultures.

Maybe think twice before just assuming from your own personal experience is representative of the whole population

ReputationRep:
    This doesn't make sense? If you think it's linked to being Muslim that means you're saying its to do with Islam's ruling and I'm saying you could not be Muslim and still be forced to be a housewife because of culture. Hence I'm saying it only seems to be Muslim women because the Muslim women who go through this are from certain cultures. Ask non-Muslim south east or East Asians and they'll tell you that it's sometimes part of their cultures for women to stay at home and leave the work to the men. Or women from Saudi Arabia aren't allowed certain jobs but women from Iraq can work any job they like - both Muslim countries but different cultures.

Maybe think twice before just assuming from your own personal experience is representative of the whole population
    No not a ruling in Islam but for some reason the women I know seem to be Muslim. Therefore it could be something to do with Asian culture etc. Dosent necessarily mean there has to be anything implicit in the religion, however the people that do it are members of that religion, for whatever reason

ReputationRep:
    No not a ruling in Islam but for some reason the women I know seem to be Muslim. Therefore it could be something to do with Asian culture etc. Dosent necessarily mean there has to be anything implicit in the religion, however the people that do it are members of that religion, for whatever reason
    Yes that's what I'm saying, their religion is irrelevant to it, it's their culture.

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's what I'm saying, their religion is irrelevant to it, it's their culture.
    And I wasn't saying their religion was relevant, merely that they happened to be Muslim. Something I observed from my own experiences

ReputationRep:
    And I wasn't saying their religion was relevant, merely that they happened to be Muslim. Something I observed from my own experiences
    Ok, I appreciate that, just a note that from what you initially said, it made it seem that it was their religion. We're on the same page now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Degrees don't pay salaries btw, jobs do

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am aware of that, I was talking about the associated career pathways that arise from those degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Since when do you get 'paid' to do a degree??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.