Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Not the first time I've heard this sentiment, but imo, most bankers I know are normal human beings..
    According to someone who has been networking since the age of 15...

(Original post by KatieBlogger)
    'Everybody else?'. Not all of us are doing jobs purely for the salary - some of us chose vocations that make a difference to peoples lives.
    yawn

Earning to give, especially in high paying careers like banking, results more readily in a bigger social impact than a doctor can achieve. By donating a small proportion of their earnings, they can save more lives too. 'Bankers are evil' is trite. Search effective altruism.

Here's a nobel laureate arguing that a career in finance makes more of a difference than one as a google engineer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6ecPxD_tV0
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CharlieGEM)
    According to someone who has been networking since the age of 15...
    Congrats, you've made an attempt at sarcasm.. Do you want a prize dude?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jbaby98)
    Degree: : Chemical engineering
    Jobs/Careers of Interest: Lots.Offshore engineering or oil finance type stuff if oil prices come out of the *****er. Otherwise, finance/banking/ professional dota 2/football player/teacher/truck driver/stripper/ Game of Thrones actor(only if they offer me the role of headless zombie ned stark)/modern artist/househusband/dictator
    Graduate Salary Expected:
    Banking - 50k+
    Offshore engineering - 45k+
    Other finance/engineering jobs - 25-35k
    Dota 2 player/footballer/modern artist - 1mil+
    teacher - 22k
    truck driver - no clue for a truck driver but it cant be bad cus this guy I know who drives trucks buys Ben and Jerry's so he must be rich
    stripper - everyone knows strippers make bank
    GoT actor - wont have any lines as a zombie so probably very little
    househusband - might buy and sell stuff on ebay so like 1k max
    dictator- depends on size of my future country
    What's your MMR bro? Let's try and make it to TI7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BizzStrut)
    yawn

Earning to give, especially in high paying careers like banking, results more readily in a bigger social impact than a doctor can achieve. By donating a small proportion of their earnings, they can save more lives too. 'Bankers are evil' is trite. Search effective altruism.

Here's a nobel laureate arguing that a career in finance makes more of a difference than one as a google engineer:
    You don't get it do you? You can't buy morals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrododo)
    What's your MMR bro?
    2k/3.5k depending on account but I would be 9k if my team didnt hold me back.

(Original post by KatieBlogger)
    You don't get it do you? You can't buy morals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you watch the debate, you'll find the very first statement he makes is "I'm assuming nobody here just wants to make a lot of money, because then you'd go to Goldman. This is a debate for idealistic students."

Please go elsewhere with your shaming rhetoric. I care. I just know that I am very well suited to corporate work environments and I know I can make a hell of a difference if I succeed there. More than anywhere else.

It might make you feel warm and fuzzy pulling a splinter out of a kid's finger or building a house in Africa for a single family but every large scale project worth doing needs finance and I can support those things that actually matter, instead of piling into field that is already overly saturated with applicants (like medicine) and people who are in it because they want society to think they're kind, considerate and decent people.

I'll have to carry the judgement of people like you for my whole career and it's silly because it's unjust.

ReputationRep:
    2k/3.5k depending on account but I would be 9k if my team didnt hold me back.
    Good response - made the mistake of playing ranked asap when I started 3 years ago so just made a new account, much quicker climb than 2k MMR hell

ReputationRep:
    yawn

All those things in banking that are so moral like gaming the regulators (who don't appear to even make a genuine effort to ensure the rules are followed), or applying political pressure to get a 100 billion Euro bailout of toxic assets (the bank I worked for was essentially bankrupt without this according to a speech given by one of the senior executives). The more time you spend in this industry the more you realise the financial system is basically rigged in favour of the top 0.01% of the population.

I started off with the attitude that it was providing capital to efficiently and effectively oil the wheels of trade but my views changed over time actually working in the industry. It does provide capital but only so long as a certain tiny minority get to take their large slice of the pie first. And I think the industry itself has changed over the last 10-20 years.

All those things in banking that are so moral like gaming the regulators (who don't appear to even make a genuine effort to ensure the rules are followed), or applying political pressure to get a 100 billion Euro bailout of toxic assets (the bank I worked for was essentially bankrupt without this according to a speech given by one of the senior executives). The more time you spend in this industry the more you realise the financial system is basically rigged in favour of the top 0.01% of the population.

I started off with the attitude that it was providing capital to efficiently and effectively oil the wheels of trade but my views changed over time actually working in the industry. It does provide capital but only so long as a certain tiny minority get to take their large slice of the pie first. And I think the industry itself has changed over the last 10-20 years.
    Here's the thing. Your argument is essentially: If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

But we know that no matter what I do the banking field is not going away. We know that there are 20 applicants willing to kill for a position who don't give a ****. So my presence there or not doesn't make a difference. It's going to happen.

I can take a stand on principle. But what for? It's meaningless. What I can also do, though, is use that cash that would be in an *******'s pocket and use it well.. to donate. To give to the right places. If I'm better suited to making money than by doing good directly then why shouldn't I? I'm not *adding* to the problem. It's one that would exist either way... so me being there and donating leads to a net positive effect. Surely you see the logic is there.

ReputationRep:
    Here's the thing. Your argument is essentially: If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

But we know that no matter what I do the banking field is not going away. We know that there are 20 applicants willing to kill for a position who don't give a ****. So my presence there or not doesn't make a difference. It's going to happen.

I can take a stand on principle. But what for? It's meaningless. What I can also do, though, is use that cash that would be in an *******'s pocket and use it well.. to donate. To give to the right places. If I'm better suited to making money than by doing good directly then why shouldn't I? I'm not *adding* to the problem. It's one that would exist either way... so me being there and donating leads to a net positive effect. Surely you see the logic is there.
    I do completely understand the logic, equally someone could use the same argument to justify a life as a drug dealer though.

ReputationRep:
    I do completely understand the logic, equally someone could use the same argument to justify a life as a drug dealer though.
    Drug dealing is illegal though- banking is not. As long as bankers aren't committing any crimes, what they are doing is perfectly fine.

And if it were legal I could probably stomach it if there were a positive net impact (bigger than I could achieve elsewhere).

Though if you've read Freakonomics you'll see the average drug dealer earns ~$3.00 an hour - way below minimum wage - and so it certainly isn't a sound career choice either way, especially if it were legalised where earnings would likely go down with drug prices as availability increases.

ReputationRep:
    I've worked in IB and "money obsessed robots" covers nearly all of them pretty well.

As for the bits about interesting work with intelligent co-workers: forget it. The work is incredibly dull and the co-workers nowhere near as smart as they think they are.
    The other day I found a thread on WSO where a guy was pretending to be **** Fuld, the ex-CEO of Lehman Brothers, and he was offering advice and stuff to the people in there with the majority of them actually believing he was the real **** Fuld and bombarding him with questions and business plans. I guess this is an example that proves you right

ReputationRep:

Sure, but within 10 years a computer might be doing 50% of your workload better than you. And dont forget the unavoidable further regulatory restrictions which most certainly will be coming the way of finance/IB.

(Original post by ahpadt)
    Sure, but within 10 years a computer might be doing 50% of your workload better than you. And dont forget the unavoidable further regulatory restrictions which most certainly will be coming the way of finance/IB.
    Maybe you're right.

I think I'm using banking here as a placeholder for 'high paying career perceived as immoral' for the sake of philosophical discussion. Of course, nearly every industry will have issues with automation. But deals between companies will always be run by people. People will always write the programmes that run the algorithms. We're not being kicked out of the labour economy just yet

ReputationRep:
    So many options m8, cant choose just one..
    Stay away from oil and gas. It has no future with the super salaries you've heard so much about. People are being laid off all over the place.

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for a law degree but really want to be an architect, but I don't want to do an architecture degree because I prefer the law course but prefer the job role that come with architecture.
    Wonder how in going to work that out in the long run

ReputationRep:
    economics
    priminister or investment banker
    60k min
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by youreanutter)
    economics
    priminister or investment banker
    60k min
    Ok bro, at least spell 'prime' minister properly PM is also not a grad job aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.