Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

You cannot choose to be from a country; hence it is pointless being patriotic. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itsyaboy)
    There's no point in being patriotic.

Why would one want to be proud of being British or whatever your demonym is, because you did not choose to be born there, you did not take some big test that you should boast about on the rooftops.

Every time I see someone identity as a patriot, I cringe. Not only has patriotism not just become being proud of one's country (which is stupid as explained above)
    it's become a code word for the phrase "I'm a closet racist". Note that I immediately stop taking any person who says that seriously.

What are your thoughts
    your a faggit---- does it non make you proud when you see your own county competing in the olympics?? Does it not make you proud (if you are from england) that we once owned the *****es from all the other meaningless countries one wole quarter on the ****ing world??? Do you not fel any gratitude or the millions of people that gave their lives for their country???? obviosly one of these hippy lefty tree huggers arent you ???

ReputationRep:
    From my opinion England is shite, I can't wait to move to another country and get out of this shithole

ReputationRep:
    I did not choose this body but I'll be damned if I stop being sexy because of that.

Also it's not what you choose, it's what chooses you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrControversial)
    I did not choose this body but I'll be damned if I stop being sexy because of that.

Also it's not what you choose, it's what chooses you.
    Like Slavery?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't choose to be born here, true, but this country looked after me and the population of this country are my brothers and sisters.
    Did you decide to not try and score any goals in P.E because the teams were randomly assigned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Like Slavery?
    Oh I forgot about slaves even though I live in the real world and I see them every day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not_lucas1)
    From my opinion England is shite, I can't wait to move to another country and get out of this shithole
    Try the Congo or Lesotho or Botswana or Niger or Sierra Leone - some people have no idea how spectacularly lucky they are...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jjj90)
    Try the Congo or Lesotho or Botswana or Niger or Sierra Leone - some people have no idea how spectacularly lucky they are...
    And those countries are how they are because they don't help themselves. 3rd world countries do nothing to improve themselves and rely on resources from 1st world countries such as mine

ReputationRep:
    And those countries are how they are because they don't help themselves. 3rd world countries do nothing to improve themselves and rely on resources from 1st world countries such as mine
    What does that have to do with being an ordinary person living day to day in one of those countries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youngmetro)
    lmaooo most of the youth arent even patriots anyway, just on TSR

who gives a **** anymore, patriotism and nationalism is dead
    No not really. What about in America, Russia, China, Japan, North and South Korea, France, Spain, etc etc etc.

Basically the only country that is not patriotic is Britain. And that is a shame, but I don't think British people have ever been patriotic, not really. It was just a concept thrust upon normal people by the upper and elite ruling class. Whilst in other countries as the middle class grew and became the majority and so adopted this sense of patriotism, in Britain most people have always had this sense of national self-doubt and insecurity, thus patriotism has never really taken off.

However, there are still many people who say they are proud to be British, but I'm not sure that is quite the same thing as patriotism, it implies a greater sense of achievement and that this proudness was earned but at the same time is still a little unsure of itself whereas patriotism is just straight out there "I love my country. Why? Just because." Whereas people who say I'm proud of being British usually continue with "because.......(reason)". So I don't see it as the same thing.

I mean don't you think it is funny how in USA the political parties say "Let's make America great again!" whereas in Britain its "Let's make Britain Great" as if it has not yet ever been achieved. It's almost as though the "Great" of Great Britain was added half sarcastically as part of British humour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jjj90)
    What does that have to do with being an ordinary person living day to day in one of those countries?
    And what does that have to do with me wanting to leave England?

ReputationRep:
    And what does that have to do with me wanting to leave England?
    It was barely a complex point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jjj90)
    It was barely a complex point.
    Neither was mine tf u on

ReputationRep:
    Why?? I mean, I'll probably move away later too but why for you, just out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    Reason first world countries are at the beginnings of decline is our increasing rejection of capitalism. Meanwhile, all the worlds fastest growing economies including China are increasingly favourable towards Capitalist principles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itsyaboy)
    There's no point in being patriotic.

Why would one want to be proud of being British or whatever your demonym is, because you did not choose to be born there, you did not take some big test that you should boast about on the rooftops.

Every time I see someone identity as a patriot, I cringe. Not only has patriotism not just become being proud of one's country (which is stupid as explained above)
    it's become a code word for the phrase "I'm a closet racist". Note that I immediately stop taking any person who says that seriously.

What are your thoughts
    I disagree with the idea that it is 'pointless' as patriotism clearly serves a very real purpose. Perhaps it is illogical but even then pride in the accomplishments of others i.e. friend's or family's success rather than our own is no less illogical. Though I certainly agree with your "I'm a closet racist." idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeroline1999)
    Why?? I mean, I'll probably move away later too but why for you, just out of interest?
    The only good thing we have in England is football. We have **** weather, skanky places full of obese and scruffy people, just look at Liverpool, its a disgrace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cressiswell)
    I disagree with the idea that it is 'pointless' as patriotism clearly serves a very real purpose. Perhaps it is illogical but even then pride in the accomplishments of others i.e. friend's or family's success rather than our own is no less illogical. Though I certainly agree with your "I'm a closet racist." idea.
    I think the closet racist thing is really unfair. Nationalism is basically closet (or not so much depending on its extent) racism but not patriotism. There are plenty of non-white British people who are proud to be British.

ReputationRep:
    The only good thing we have in England is football. We have **** weather, skanky places full of obese and scruffy people, just look at Liverpool, its a disgrace
    I like our weather, it has a good variety. Cold winters, hot summers, windy wet autumn. i don't like mono-weather countries, they are boring. I know people always say british summers are like 2 days but it isn't really true. it can average about 25-33 degrees celsius from about june to september.

My issue with Britain is its lack of forward planning and foresight. Its increasing distaste to capitalism and the fact we are destroying our last major industry. Also how taxes are too high and iPhones cost too much here

Only problem is, they don't sell cadburys chocolate anywhere else, so I'm kinda stuck here unless i can buy a ton, ship it over to another country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeroline1999)
    I like our weather, it has a good variety. Cold winters, hot summers, windy wet autumn. i don't like mono-weather countries, they are boring. I know people always say british summers are like 2 days but it isn't really true. it can average about 25-33 degrees celsius from about june to september.

My issue with Britain is its lack of forward planning and foresight. Its increasing distaste to capitalism and the fact we are destroying our last major industry. Also how taxes are too high and iPhones cost too much here

Only problem is, they don't sell cadburys chocolate anywhere else, so I'm kinda stuck here unless i can buy a ton, ship it over to another country
    I don't know what the weather has been like near you but i can tell you that we dont have a cold winter, we have a cold year. Most of the time it's freezing in England and often rains, we lack warmth and when it snows, its petty. We defo lack behind countries such as America, they get most new technologies weeks before us

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.