Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should european women dress modestly to accommodate other cultures? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should they dress modestly?
    Yes
    7.62%
    No
    92.38%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by msmeme)
    Getting raped in Saudi Arabia is a rare instance,
    The number of reported rapes is low, but that is not surprising when it is virtually impossible to prove rape under Saudi law

one that guarantees punishment when reported.
    For some, yes...
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/200....international

As for your 'liberal' countries, there's a greater chance of rapists getting a small life-sentence and then being released to prowl the streets again.
    Whereas in countries like Saudia Arabia, the rapist is unlikely to even be reported - and there is no such offence as spousal rape.

ReputationRep:
    Nope they shouldn't if other cultures don't like it then tough either deal with it or don't go to the country. It is that simple and easy

ReputationRep:
    These other cultures shouldn't be here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    i'm not wrong. there are a lot of racist people in this thread right now who will only protect women if it means being able to express their racism, but each to their own. TSR is going to **** anyway, no point trying to stop this
    I was gone for maybe 3 years.

It was like this back then, and the 4 years before that when I was posting. It ain't going.

And maybe, but that is an assumption on my part. Personally I have something against Islam and how many choose to follow it, regardless whether they are Arab, African, Asian, or White.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by msmeme)
    Has any of you even been to Saudi Arabia or any other 'Muslim country'?
    "Raped by horny Muslim men" AHHAHA, are y'all really so dumb or did watching Fox news all day brainwash you? Western countries have a higher rate of assault and rape.
    Getting raped in Saudi Arabia is a rare instance, one that guarantees punishment when reported.
    As for your 'liberal' countries, there's a greater chance of rapists getting a small life-sentence and then being released to prowl the streets again.
    And what. the. fu** is wrong with you Muslim refugee-haters? Do you really think that a man whose wife and children died, one who has no house and had to leave behind all his family, all of his life's savings, will be interested in even LOOKING at your women, much less raping them?I'm glad I wasn't bred like most of you. If you want to hate on someone, hate on yourself.

I shouldn't have to spell this out for you love, but statistics of reported rapes that lead to conviction most certainly do not equate to statistics of actual rapes.

Consider the abundance of factors that makes a woman in Saudi Arabia unlikely to report being raped, such as fear of being punished for being a rape victim, fear of being ostrasised, fear of bringing shame upon her family, fear of a brutal backlash from her attacker. Also consider the likelihood of a rape victim receiving just legal action to lead to a conviction, considering that there is no criminal code in Saudia Arabia which criminalizes rape. Also consider that it's highly unlikely that Sharia law considers marital rape a form of rape at all.

But yep, I'm sure that the rape statistics of Saudi Arabia are a perfect representation of the actual picture of rape in Saudi Arabia

ReputationRep:
    If they don't like how we dress then they should leave immediately and please do! nobody forces them to be here, they should go and live in Saudi Arabia or the Syrian Islamic state where the dress code is more to their liking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainhuman)
    I was gone for maybe 3 years.

It was like this back then, and the 4 years before that when I was posting. It ain't going.

And maybe, but that is an assumption on my part. Personally I have something against Islam and how many choose to follow it, regardless whether they are Arab, African, Asian, or White.
    okay good for u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    your reply was useless. you assumed that i am talking about muslims (which only serves to perpetrate islamophobia even moreso), but i was talking about the negative view people have on refugees, as is clearly shown in the OP. read
    Not this again. Anti-Muslim bigotry is a problem, criticism of Islam as an ideology is not.

ReputationRep:
    Very interesting piece in Die Zeit from 28/04/2016 about integration:

Name:  IMG_7662.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  496.2 KB

They interview several people including a refugee, and a policewoman. And what the policewoman said reminded me of a thread on here from some time ago. She said that these newcoming Muslim girls wear the Hijab, but at the same time the tightest leggings. And she has seen increased criminal complaints against these women because they act arrogantly towards German women of same age (for not wearing the hijab), calling them sluts and verbally attacking them in the street (whether or not one should go to the police for insult/defamation is another story, she just said its happening more and more). Regarding young Muslim men she said that more and more she sees her colleagues getting called at night to disturbances and when they ask "have you drunk alcohol" they reply "of course not, I am Muslim".

She said the police are holding special Islam seminars which she wants to attend soon, in order to help its officers on how to deal with this new situation. Her bottom line was that while she is from a left background and wants to welcome them, the way it's going now is not going to work in the long run. For example the school teacher they interviewed as part of this article said many don't come to school on Friday and as an excuse say they have to go to the mosque.

And what is most sad of all is the language teacher (an Iranian woman) they interviewed said that at first the female refugees that come to her are shocked that things are run by a woman, then they are enthusiastic about it, that they can do all this as a woman here. Then the men find out about it and want to stop it and (e.g. one example she mentioned was a refugee had made friends with German women and went to coffee once a week, her husband found out and beat the living daylights out of her and now she doesn't even come to the language course anymore).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erebor)
    This, this and this again. Getting a straight, honest answer from some ''cultures'' is like pulling teeth from a chicken.
    Or pulling the meat from a pig.

ReputationRep:
    people should wear what they want particularly in their own country if they don't like it don't come or don't stay. On the flip side if they are visiting another country they should at least dress in a way that wouldn't offend for instance you wouldn't walk around shirtless in Dubai would you.

ReputationRep:
    If they want to dress like this I have no objections.

ReputationRep:
    Clothes refer to items worn to cover the human body. It is a fact that human beings wear clothes according to their function and, of course

ReputationRep:
    Italy :

Germany :

http://www.thelocal.de/20150626/refu...niform-modesty

''A school in Bavaria has sent a letter home to parents warning them not to let their daughters wear revealing blouses or short skirts, because emergency accommodation for refugees has been set up next to the gym''

Cliffs: men from other cultures can't help themselves if they see a woman showing skin or even curves under tight clothing so if a woman gets harassed/raped/worse it's pretty much her fault since men can't help themselves.
    Since when do men not have control of their own actions? They should learnto control themselves just like any other human being and waering certain clothes is NOT asking for sexual harassment!

ReputationRep:
    Italy :

Germany :

http://www.thelocal.de/20150626/refu...niform-modesty

''A school in Bavaria has sent a letter home to parents warning them not to let their daughters wear revealing blouses or short skirts, because emergency accommodation for refugees has been set up next to the gym''

Cliffs: men from other cultures can't help themselves if they see a woman showing skin or even curves under tight clothing so if a woman gets harassed/raped/worse it's pretty much her fault since men can't help themselves.
    Shouldn't THEY divert their eyes if they can't control themselves.

ReputationRep:
    😑😑😑 what kind of ******** is this? So if I go to a beach and wear a one piece swim suit is some guy going to **** me down because he saw my ankles?

ReputationRep:
    No, unless you're in a country where people are expected to dress differently, but this cuts both ways.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.