The Student Room Group

AQA AS Product Design 2016 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Anyone else mention how they use nylon rollers for spinning? Also i forgot what compression moulding was and kind've made it up :/ Really wishing for an A, my teacher wouldn't tell me what i got in my coursework though.
[QUOTE=Salamandastron;65714447]No nylon rollers are used in spinning :redface:
Spinning is to do with metals.

Yeah i know that, but the tools they use to pressure the metal into shape need a high resistance to wear, so i suggested nylon
Hey are any A2 Product design students from last year doing it this year? If so, how's it going? Im sorry for those who have finished the A level last year, but I want to get a discussion going about the A2 part of the course. I haven't really found any recent forums about the AQA A2 course itself which I found to be odd.
For both the current Product Designers and old Product Designers, what are you tip for getting the examwork completed? Cause to be honest last year was a bit of a cramming session of trying to get everything and anything done before exam day. I just want to see if I can get revision done quicker and effective-er? Cause reading through the history of major developments in technology is intresting and all, but I'm concerned that I'm taking too much time on it. Like I'm only halfway though that topic and I spent 3 hours reading and highlighting the key points about it. I am generally a slow reader and I am aware that it would take me some time to read through the whole of it. But is there somewhere that crushes it down to a sort and easy standard?
Original post by Fruitbasket786
Hey are any A2 Product design students from last year doing it this year? If so, how's it going? Im sorry for those who have finished the A level last year, but I want to get a discussion going about the A2 part of the course. I haven't really found any recent forums about the AQA A2 course itself which I found to be odd.
For both the current Product Designers and old Product Designers, what are you tip for getting the examwork completed? Cause to be honest last year was a bit of a cramming session of trying to get everything and anything done before exam day. I just want to see if I can get revision done quicker and effective-er? Cause reading through the history of major developments in technology is intresting and all, but I'm concerned that I'm taking too much time on it. Like I'm only halfway though that topic and I spent 3 hours reading and highlighting the key points about it. I am generally a slow reader and I am aware that it would take me some time to read through the whole of it. But is there somewhere that crushes it down to a sort and easy standard?

:hello:
do you mean year 13 resitters or people who did AS last year doing A2 this year?
either way i was year 12 last year who did the AS and now im year 13 doing the A2 :smile:

EDIT: whilst we are here don't suppose you know the date of the A2 exam do you because i can't find it on the AQA download timetable thing :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CoolCavy
:hello:
do you mean year 13 resitters or people who did AS last year doing A2 this year?
either way i was year 12 last year who did the AS and now im year 13 doing the A2 :smile:

EDIT: whilst we are here don't suppose you know the date of the A2 exam do you because i can't find it on the AQA download timetable thing :s-smilie:

9th of june. Nice to talk in this thread again, how's the examwork going? I'm trying to do as much as possible, cause I got a mock at the end of this month. STRESS! Have you done some exam question practice?
9th of june. Nice to talk in this thread again, how's the examwork going? I'm trying to do as much as possible, cause I got a mock at the end of this month. STRESS! Have you done some exam question practice?

Thank you so much :hugs:
tbh im a bit worried we aren't going to get through it all :s-smilie: we don't seem to have done very much theory considering it is now January..
how is urs going?
and omg goodluck! will you be doing a past paper mock or one the school made?
and yeh been trying to do them under exam conditions to prepare for the january mocks and to just get quicker in general bc for A2 there seems to be a lot more writing and drawing than AS :redface:
tbh im a bit worried we aren't going to get through it all :s-smilie: we don't seem to have done very much theory considering it is now January..
how is urs going?
and yeh been trying to do them under exam conditions to prepare for the january mocks and to just get quicker in general bc for A2 there seems to be a lot more writing and drawing than AS :redface:

The issue I find with the PROD 3 exams is that if your teacher marks it, you can actually get a legit result of what you get. Mostly cause the mark scheme is a bit vague and im not 100% familiar with it at all. It looks odd and sometimes im not sure if I get a mark about mentioning something extra. But my teacher said by doing that im wasting time in the exam xD .

That's also sort of true isnt it? I think the last question I did had three or four drawing. But most of them were just drawings of joints or a process of which its copied from the textbook xD
The issue I find with the PROD 3 exams is that if your teacher marks it, you can actually get a legit result of what you get. Mostly cause the mark scheme is a bit vague and im not 100% familiar with it at all. It looks odd and sometimes im not sure if I get a mark about mentioning something extra. But my teacher said by doing that im wasting time in the exam xD .

That's also sort of true isnt it? I think the last question I did had three or four drawing. But most of them were just drawings of joints or a process of which its copied from the textbook xD

yes! urgh it really is :/ tbh tho i find some of the questions quite vague, especially those 'discuss' ones like they can be so open ended :s-smilie:
apparently you get marked on SPaG now as well for some questions but they don't tell you which ones :/
least this is still not linear so that is one saving grace :adore:
how is urs going?

Hey I'm currently on my gap year doing a placement and plan to sit both the AS and A2 modules, honestly recommend working through it all yourself (as well as what ever your doing in school). Reading through the old forums as well DT teachers aren't the best at keeping up with theory work. But to be honest if you are smashing the AS papers you'll do great on the A2 you just need to use a lot more words.
Heya everyone! I got the paper for my mock recently, and I'm glad you all did good. It wasn't too hard, really. Just that if you'd read the book over an over again instead of watching Netflix, you would've passed with a good grade.

But I was wonderin', what dya' all get in the end? Ad if there are any revision tips, please share 'em! And any revision sites, booklets and whatnot? Everything is appreciated! Thanks a bunch!
Original post by master_cyli
Heya everyone! I got the paper for my mock recently, and I'm glad you all did good. It wasn't too hard, really. Just that if you'd read the book over an over again instead of watching Netflix, you would've passed with a good grade.

But I was wonderin', what dya' all get in the end? Ad if there are any revision tips, please share 'em! And any revision sites, booklets and whatnot? Everything is appreciated! Thanks a bunch!

well done for just insulting everyone on this thread who worked their ass off to get their desired grade :lol:
best revision tips? do lots of past papers and dont just read the book over and over again instead of watching Netflix :smile:
~ regards

someone who got 4As at AS, one of these being in Product Design.
Original post by Salamandastron
well done for just insulting everyone on this thread who worked their ass off to get their desired grade :lol:
best revision tips? do lots of past papers and dont just read the book over and over again instead of watching Netflix :smile:
~ regards

someone who got 4As at AS, one of these being in Product Design.

Oh my... I didn't intend to insult everyone! I am a bit passive aggressive and I was kinda pointing the talk to myself, just so I could realise what I'm doing, and what I should be doing. And dammit, 4 A's? At AS? Kudos to you man!

Well, past papers are great, I know. But I should know the content before I try answering a question eh? How did you revise, apart from doing past papers of course?

Sorry if I was insulting. Really, didn't mean to.:colondollar::h:
Original post by master_cyli
Oh my... I didn't intend to insult everyone! I am a bit passive aggressive and I was kinda pointing the talk to myself, just so I could realise what I'm doing, and what I should be doing. And dammit, 4 A's? At AS? Kudos to you man!

Well, past papers are great, I know. But I should know the content before I try answering a question eh? How did you revise, apart from doing past papers of course?

Sorry if I was insulting. Really, didn't mean to.:colondollar::h:

Well most of the AS paper is focused on processes and Materials; i found it helpful getting flash cards for each process and material highlighting important stuff and also for the processes drawing the setup which you are expected to know. But the A2 is kind of different you need to knowledge of the content in AS and you just go deeper.
Original post by hossein178
Well most of the AS paper is focused on processes and Materials; i found it helpful getting flash cards for each process and material highlighting important stuff and also for the processes drawing the setup which you are expected to know. But the A2 is kind of different you need to knowledge of the content in AS and you just go deeper.

Thanks man.
Hi ive got my as product design mock soon and its last years paper, any heads up to what topics i should revise for it?
Hey I was just wondering if anybody did the A2 product design aqa paper last year, what type of questions or topics were in it? I know it may be hard to remember but I have a mock next week and i'm pretty sure it's based on last years paper! Thankyouuu
As a Private candidate re-sitting the AS I've got a horrible urge to leave it to like a week before and cram the **** out for this paper.
Hun, the questions are always different for exams being done at different times. So eh~ It doesn't really help.

How did you do though? It was much better than I expected!
Guys! How was the paper? It was far better than I expected it to be eh?

Quick Reply