Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SocialStudiesETC)
    Wouldn't mind a nuclear one, hard to go off it tbh if you put your brain to it! Yeah, first question is usually rate of reaction. I always make stupid mistakes on them admittedly
    What do you think it would be about Nuclear radiation ? I dont have any general knowledge of examples etc, do I need to know that?

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity, what did everyone get in their prelims?
    I got 65 out of 80 (81%)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SocialStudiesETC)
    Wouldn't mind a nuclear one, hard to go off it tbh if you put your brain to it! Yeah, first question is usually rate of reaction. I always make stupid mistakes on them admittedly
    Me too sometimes

ReputationRep:
    How do u know if an atom has lost or gained electrons so that you could write + or -

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethan100)
    What do you think it would be about Nuclear radiation ? I dont have any general knowledge of examples etc, do I need to know that?
    Well, I'd think about the ray lengths. Also, their effect on bodies and other relevant things mentioned. Their atmospheric life: I think gamma has the shortest and alpha has the longest. This is due to the structure of the particles emitted, with gamma rays having no photons. Why their use is useful compared to the other rays: for example, beta particles are used for medical imaging because they penetrate the skin but not the bones/organs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aston177)
    How do u know if an atom has lost or gained electrons so that you could write + or -
    Assuming this is related to ionic formulae, metals LOSE ELECTRONS which give them a positive charge. Non-metals GAIN ELECTRONS which give them a negative charge. This is because of their positioning on the periodic table. Now, anything before group 4 loses electrons to achieve a stable outer shell. Group 4 gains electrons. Anything after group 4 gains electrons to fill their outer shell.

ReputationRep:
    How to answer this sort of question?

Which of the following has metallic bonding?

A) Calcium
    B) Carbon
    C) Oxgyen
    D) Fluorine

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody use a triangle or something to help them with half life questions, I find them quite difficult
    is there a formula for it that I can follow or something ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis H01)
    How to answer this sort of question?

Which of the following has metallic bonding?

A) Calcium
    B) Carbon
    C) Oxgyen
    D) Fluorine
    A as calcium is the only metal.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and another thing, for the last part of chemistry in society I think its called Chemical Analysis, what do I need to know about it ? My class literally spent have a lesson on it and I don't know if it was enough

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody use a triangle or something to help them with half life questions, I find them quite difficult
    So say if the half life of carbon is 5 years, in 5 years time there will be 50% left. in ten years time, there will be 25% left.

100%-----50%-----25%-----12.5%-----6.25% and so on
    0 yrs -----5 yrs----10yrs-----15yrs-----20yrs

I hope that makes sense and I hope it is right!

ReputationRep:
    Oh and another thing, for the last part of chemistry in society I think its called Chemical Analysis, what do I need to know about it ? My class literally spent have a lesson on it and I don't know if it was enough
    That's like the titration calculations, flame tests, and if a precipitate is formed. So titre calcs are c1v1/n1 = c2v2/n2, flame tests are in the data book and the precip. is basically looking at the equation and seeing if a (s) has been formed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_4342)
    So say if the half life of carbon is 5 years, in 5 years time there will be 50% left. in ten years time, there will be 25% left.

100%-----50%-----25%-----12.5%-----6.25% and so on
    0 yrs -----5 yrs----10yrs-----15yrs-----20yrs

I hope that makes sense and I hope it is right!
    THATS WHAT HALF LIFE MEANS
    I WAS DOING IT WRONG ALL ALONG

THANKS SO MUCH EVE

Wait, what exactly is left ? The percentage is of what ?

THANKS !

ReputationRep:
    There's no specific formula used for it. If you can give me an example of one of the questions, I can show you how to do them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_4342)
    That's like the titration calculations, flame tests, and if a precipitate is formed. So titre calcs are c1v1/n1 = c2v2/n2, flame tests are in the data book and the precip. is basically looking at the equation and seeing if a (s) has been formed.
    Does this stuff come up in the exam ....

You just spoke a completely different language there

ReputationRep:
    Does this stuff come up in the exam ....

You just spoke a completely different language there
    yep titration calculations have come up in both the 2014 and 2015 exams

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me the main equations I need to know for neutralisation reactions?
    Thanks, in advanced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomson521)
    yep titration calculations have come up in both the 2014 and 2015 exams
    What is a titration calculation ? Would I be able to learn it now ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis H01)
    Can someone tell me the main equations I need to know for neutralisation reactions?
    Thanks, in advanced.
    Metal + Acid = Salt + Hydrogen
    Metal Oxide + Acid = Salt + Water
    Metal Carbonate + Acid = Salt + Water + Carbon Dioxide
    Metal Hydroxide + Acid = Salt + Water

ReputationRep:
    What is a titration calculation ? Would I be able to learn it now ?
    Yes, they are very easy. The formula is in the data book

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.