Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Will examiners look at crossed out work if it is correct?

ReputationRep:
    how many marks would i get for question 2 (b) , the force on the saucepan question (it was out of 3 marks)

resolve upwards for the sauce pan
    r - 1.5g - 0.5g = 0.5a
    r = 1.5g + 0.5 + 0.5(0.5)
    r = 19.9

could i possibly get 1 method marks out of the 3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tarek888)
    Estimates for grade boundries/UMS?
    not a clue, personally I would say 64 for an A, others have been claiming lower, but I think that would be wishful thinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattJacks)
    Will examiners look at crossed out work if it is correct?
    depends on how much you crossed it out, if it is illegible then no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GarlicBread01)
    How many marks would I get for this for question 2 (b) (it was out of 3 marks)

Resolve upwards for the sauce pan

R - 1.5g - 0.5g = 0.5a
    R = 1.5g + 0.5 + 0.5(0.5)
    R = 19.9 N

Could I possibly get atleast 1 M1 Method marks out of the 3?
    I did the same as you, looking at a very very similar question from Gold 5 Question 3 part b. We would get 2 out of 3 marks!

https://2802a3b1a650824d2586fd3336bd...%20Edexcel.pdf

M1 A0 A1(ft)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    Okay, I've done all the model answers and i've written out every question. its officially complete!

i have no life
    Thanks for making it extremely clear just how badly I did!! :-)

Think I got 54.....praying for decent boundaries...anything above 70ums and im still in the game!

ReputationRep:
    depends on how much you crossed it out, if it is illegible then no
    if you go on to do incorrect work will they track back?

ReputationRep:
    fantastic, ill add that last one in
    cant seee q2 solution

ReputationRep:
    KloppOClock

Will anybody be doing an IAL M1 unofficial Mark scheme? :/

ReputationRep:
    if you go on to do incorrect work will they track back?
    I believe they ignore subsequent working even if it is wrong.

For example if you did a question and got the right answer, then re-did the question on the next page and got a different answer, they would only mark your first attempt!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaadKaleem)
    KloppOClock

Will anybody be doing an IAL M1 unofficial Mark scheme? :/
    Not a clue, I didn't sit that so I have no idea what was on it. I saw a thread before on the IAL exam though and people were posting their answers.

ReputationRep:
    ALL MODEL ANSWERS ARE NOW DONE!

IMPORTANT NOTE: After speaking with some maths teachers, they have said that they believe the grade boundaries will be relatively low due to the simultaneous vector question and question three! :banana2:

*So people stop asking, when using 'g' 2 or 3 significant figures is fine.

Question 1: (10 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1(a) 104, (3 marks)

1(b) p = (400+15t)i + (20t)j (3 marks)
    q = (20t)i + (800-5t)j

1(c) Q = 640i + 640j (4 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 2: (6 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    2(a) T = 20.6N or 21N (3 marks)
    2(b) 15N or 15.5N (3 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 3: (7 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    3 Ns (7 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 4: (12 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    4(a) (4 marks)

4(b) T = 8.75 s (8 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 5: (10 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    μ=0.73 or μ=0.727 (10 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 6: (7 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    d = 1.2m (4 marks)
    m = 42kg (3 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 7: (11 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    7(a) F2 = 2.5i + 2.5j (7 marks)
    (b) 13 ms-1 (4 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 8: (12 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    8(a) T = 11.8 N or 12 N(8 marks)

8(b) = 16.6 N or 17 N
    It has a bearing of 225
    or
    45 degree angle between horizontal plane and vertical rope
    or
    draw a diagram and annotate angles (4 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Model Answers: (click spoiler to show images).

Question Bank: (simplified)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Question One:
    Q has velocity (20i-5j) and starting position (800j). P has velocity (15i+20j) and starting location (400i).

a) Find the bearing of Q.
    b) i) Find the location of P and Q at time = t.
    c) Find the location of Q when it is west of P.

Question Two:
    A scale pan of 0.5kg carries a brick of 1.5kg and is attached to a vertical rope. The body is accelerating upwards at 0.5m/s/s.
    a) Find the tension in the rope.
    b) Calculate the force exerted by the scale pan onto the brick.

Question Three:
    A particle of mass 0.4kg collides with a wall at a speed of 4m/s and rebound back 5m before stopping. The coefficient of friction on the ground is 1/8. Calculate the magnitude of the impulse exerted by the wall onto the particle.

Question Four:
    A car M overtakes car N at 40m/s at point A and travels for T seconds before uniformly decelerating to 0m/s at point X. Car N travels at 30m/s for 25 seconds before decelerating uniformly at the same point. AX = 975m.
    a) Draw a speed-time graph of both cars on the same graph.
    b) Find the value of T.

Question Five:
    Particle of mass 2kg on slope inclined to ground at 20 degrees. Being pushed up a rush surface by force of 4 N at angle of 30 degrees to slope. Calculate mew.

Question Six:
    Non-uniform rod of length AB has length 6m and mass 30kg. It has two supports S and T, where AS = 0.5m and TB=2m. When a particle of mass M is placed at A, the rod is at the point of tipping around S. When a particle of mass M is placed at B, the rod is at the point of tipping around T. The distance between A and the center of mass is D.
    a) Find D
    b) Find M

Question Seven:
    F1 = (-i + 2j) F2 same direction as (i+j). Resultant of F1 and F2 has same direction as (i+3j). The resultant of F1 and F2 has acceleration (3i+9j) and initial velocity (3i-22j).
    a) Calculate F2
    b) Find the velocity of the resultant of F1 and F2 and t=3.

Question Eight:
    Mew = 1/5. Particle A is on a horizontal plane and has mass 1.5kg. Particle B is on a verticle rope and hangs with mass 3kg. Both are connected to a pulley so that the angle between them is 90 degrees. A is to the left of B.
    a) Find Tension
    b)Find magnitude of tension on pulley

I hope you all did well!
    why is "the force exerted on the scale pa by the create " the normal reaction of the crate surely it cant be because thats the force exerted by the scale pan on the crate isnt the forceexerted on the scale pan by the box the normal reaction between bottom of scale pan e.g, R-o.5g=0.5a?

ReputationRep:
    I believe they ignore subsequent working even if it is wrong.

For example if you did a question and got the right answer, then re-did the question on the next page and got a different answer, they would only mark your first attempt!
    i really hope so, with an expectation of 90+% in M1 i really cocked up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youreanutter)
    why is "the force exerted on the scale pa by the create " the normal reaction of the crate surely it cant be because thats the force exerted by the scale pan on the crate isnt the forceexerted on the scale pan by the box the normal reaction between bottom of scale pan e.g, R-o.5g=0.5a?
    i dont know, i thought the question read what was the force exerted onto the pan by the brick, so i ended up focusing on the scale pan. apparently i misread the question and you had to focus on the brick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alesha98)
    yes you are correct.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    i really hope so, with an expectation of 90+% in M1 i really cocked up
    im fairly confident that they will. most examiners are trying to give you marks, not take them away from you. you probably did a lot better then you think!

ReputationRep:
    im fairly confident that they will. most examiners are trying to give you marks, not take them away from you. you probably did a lot better then you think!
    I hope so, scrape an A, resit next year thank you for your feed back

ReputationRep:
    For the moments question, would you still get working out marks if you took the moments about A and B? Instead of S and T? Also for 1c, I found the same time by finding out PQ was. Would I still get marks?

ReputationRep:
    i dont know, i thought the question read what was the force exerted onto the pan by the brick, so i ended up focusing on the scale pan. apparently i misread the question and you had to focus on the brick
    yeah the question definetly sed
    what was the force exerted
    on the scale pan
    by the brick
    so do u not find the force on the scale pan the normal reaction of the scale pan as i doubt it wud be the other way around as if so it wud basically bethe exact same as the 2015 paper again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by don't cry-craft)
    For the moments question, would you still get working out marks if you took the moments about A and B? Instead of S and T? Also for 1c, I found the same time by finding out PQ was. Would I still get marks?
    if you took moments about A and B you would get 2 unknowns which is why they state its on the point of tipping. They expect you to know that so I don't think you would get the method marks for creating an equation around those points.

If you found out the correct answer, they would give you the marks as your method must have been correct to give you that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 10, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.