Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://heatst.com/uk/11-countries-ge...-with-britain/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    So now you think Iceland is comparable to the UK? A country of 320,000 that sells mostly fish and raw materials? Good job. They are part of the EEA and pay for the privilege, have free movement and part of schengen.
    So, Norway and Switzerland are outside the EU and oddly enough are the most prosperous countries in Europe. And why has Iceland got a trade deal with China and the EU doesn't, nor India? This is not personal, or about gloating or futile victories. This is about whether we attach ourselves to a stifling, protectionist, bureaucratic, oppressive monolith or we reclaim our potential. Nowhere else in the world has to live on Britain's terms in the EU, with a trade partner. Japan, Canada, Australia, NZ, none of them. It is a diabolical deal. Europeans who support it envy our greatness and want to reduce it, and so do Americans who have a post colonial chip on their shoulders. This is evidenced by veiled jokes about us eating kebabs and curries and colonizing the world. We are not little Englanders, we will be little Europeans missing out on the world in the EU.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    x.
    Let me guess, you are going to argue that not a single country ion the world except is anything like the UK and thus the UK must collapse outside the EU?

Meanwhile we get people pushing for the US to start negotiations, and there have been criticisms from Congress of Obama's position ever since he visited; Iceland very quickly started considering `a trade deal; the Indian finance minister indicates a desire to finally enter into a FTA with a European nation; Australia and New Zealand might be teaming up to negotiate a FTA (and the latter is offering us some of their top trade negotiators); Ghana almost immediately started preparing to enter into talks; the Canadian PM wishes to deepen ties and Canada is reported to have approached the FCO; Mexico has already drafted a deal; Switzerland is very open to us returning to EFTA with only Norway potentially taking issue and I expect would otherwise engage in negotiations; and South Korea have also already formally approached us to engage in negotiations.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Let me guess, you are going to argue that not a single country ion the world except is anything like the UK and thus the UK must collapse outside the EU?

Meanwhile we get people pushing for the US to start negotiations, and there have been criticisms from Congress of Obama's position ever since he visited; Iceland very quickly started considering `a trade deal; the Indian finance minister indicates a desire to finally enter into a FTA with a European nation; Australia and New Zealand might be teaming up to negotiate a FTA (and the latter is offering us some of their top trade negotiators); Ghana almost immediately started preparing to enter into talks; the Canadian PM wishes to deepen ties and Canada is reported to have approached the FCO; Mexico has already drafted a deal; Switzerland is very open to us returning to EFTA with only Norway potentially taking issue and I expect would otherwise engage in negotiations; and South Korea have also already formally approached us to engage in negotiations.
    Not at all, but its pretty stupid and ridiculous, when you are comparing the UK to tax havens like Monaco, Bahamas or Lichtenstein and countries rich in oil and natural resources.

If you'd bothered to read what I have said several times the UK will survive, its a question of how well. The UK needs every advantage it can get if it wishes to prosper.

Brexit people need to decide what it is they want from the EU they have a choice of access to the single market on existing terms (which includes free movement if people) or being outside the single market like any other non EU country.

You can decide if you want to join EFTA, but you have to pay plus accept free movement of people. Norway pasy nearly as much for being in EFRA as we currently pay to be in the EU, except it has none of the influence and has to accept free movement. Brexit really need to decide what it is they want and what they are unwilling to accept.

Cant and wont negotiate US deal until extricated from the EU, so thats 2.5 years + the amount of time it takes to negotiate a deal.

It says in your link Aus is seeking the agreement with the EU.

So that leaves you with Ghana, Mexico and S Korea.

Brexit people better hurry up and make clear what the plan is and start delivering on promises over the next two years.

ReputationRep:
    I was right before the vote. I was right in saying that after we leave, the UK's financial markets will calm and improve.

Proof:

"Despite some apocalyptic warnings before the referendum, Today the FTSE 100 is up more than 2% and is now above its level for all of June save referendum day""Government borrowing costs are falling. And Sterling has stabilised"
    "Second, as Samuel Tombs of Pantheon Economics told me, it has become clear that Britain is not heading for a "hard Brexit".

^ Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36665685

This is hopefully just the beginning. There will hopefully be much more improvements coming, especially after we have triggered Article 50 and elected a good new Prime Minister from the Leave campaign.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    So, Norway and Switzerland are outside the EU and oddly enough are the most prosperous countries in Europe. And why has Iceland got a trade deal with China and the EU doesn't, nor India? This is not personal, or about gloating or futile victories. This is about whether we attach ourselves to a stifling, protectionist, bureaucratic, oppressive monolith or we reclaim our potential. Nowhere else in the world has to live on Britain's terms in the EU, with a trade partner. Japan, Canada, Australia, NZ, none of them. It is a diabolical deal. Europeans who support it envy our greatness and want to reduce it, and so do Americans who have a post colonial chip on their shoulders. This is evidenced by veiled jokes about us eating kebabs and curries and colonizing the world. We are not little Englanders, we will be little Europeans missing out on the world in the EU.
    Thats fine but if you wnat a deal along the lines of Norway and Switzerland you have to accept you are going to be paying billions to the EU plus the free movement of people.

Which is it to be?

Iceland isnt a good example its only 320,000 people and sell mostly aluminium (42.9%) and fish or related products ( 37.56%). Thats over 80% from two niche areas.

Its main trading partners are in Europe.

The rest is just frothing. Start providing some answers about what the plan is what you wnat and what you believe you are going to get.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Short answer: of course we can.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    I was right before the vote. I was right in saying that after we leave, the UK's financial markets will calm and improve.

Proof:

"Despite some apocalyptic warnings before the referendum, Today the FTSE 100 is up more than 2% and is now above its level for all of June save referendum day""Government borrowing costs are falling. And Sterling has stabilised"
    "Second, as Samuel Tombs of Pantheon Economics told me, it has become clear that Britain is not heading for a "hard Brexit".

^ Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36665685

This is hopefully just the beginning. There will hopefully be much more improvements coming, especially after we have triggered Article 50 and elected a good new Prime Minister from the Leave campaign.
    Not really, you have to wait longer and see what the actual economic results are over the short medium and long term. June is not a very good measure because it reflects uncertainty. You dont know what britain is heading for because negotiations have been started and agreed on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    All the reports I've read quote traders explaining that this relief is temporary. They explain it is caused by the prospect of the UK remaining in the single market.

I don't really see that as a win for Leave supporters.*

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Based on what metric? Posted from TSR Mobile
    See above really. The economy took a tumble and its fall was only arrested by the prospect of us staying in the single market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Define culturally rich. What impact does this have on our ability to survive outside the EU?
    The UK are the laziest, most benefit grabbing, arrogant people ever.
    I'm British but grew up in another country and it frankly shocks and disgusts me the rude, lazy and racist attitudes over here.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.