Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just voted remain and was exit-polled as well. Was so tempted to tell them I voted leave just to shake it up a bit.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scriggy)
    Just voted remain and was exit-polled as well. Was so tempted to tell them I voted leave just to shake it up a bit.
    It's only a hedge fund, it's not an official exit poll that broadcasters and papers will be using.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It's only a hedge fund, it's not an official exit poll that broadcasters and papers will be using.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aww. How do you know that? Do they not do the official exit polls at polling stations?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aww. How do you know that? Do they not do the official exit polls at polling stations?
    Not for referendums, nobody knows where or what to be checking, especially given how close it will be

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There are no official exit polls. Anyone conducting one is working for a polling organisation selling the results to the media or industry.

ReputationRep:
    Not for referendums, nobody knows where or what to be checking, especially given how close it will be

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    There are no official exit polls. Anyone conducting one is working for a polling organisation selling the results to the media or industry.
    I see. Well in that case I wish I just did tell them the wrong thing.

ReputationRep:
    I suspect quite a few voters game pollsters like this now, people are very savvy to the system. Still, perhaps they cancel each other out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I suspect quite a few voters game pollsters like this now, people are very savvy to the system. Still, perhaps they cancel each other out.
    I'm not sure they do for exit polls. They have been notably accurate over the years. Remember the reaction to the exit polls at the last general election? Nobody believed them, and people promised to eat hats if the exit poll was right. The poll was right and hats were served (but not eaten).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    So you prefer Farage's "vote with your heart!"... the unsaid bit being "not with your head". Fair enough if that floats your boat.

For something as important as this I'll go with my head.
    Funny you would say that because so far the remain campaign has had little to go on but love-dovey arguments for togetherness and about how the EU somehow prevents armageddon.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrControversial)
    Funny you would say that because so far the remain campaign has had little to go on but love-dovey arguments for togetherness and about how the EU somehow prevents armageddon.
    And over 1,000 "Nazi" experts with all their facts and figures and economic models.

Awkward that.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    The bookies now have Remain at the highest likelihood (83%) since they started offering odds.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 11.52.22.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  116.6 KB

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06...n-say-bookies/

ReputationRep:
    And over 1,000 "Nazi" experts with all their facts and figures and economic models.

Awkward that.
    This is a political decision. There are no experts. And you should know better than to to fall into the logical fallacy of the appeal to authority anyway.

ReputationRep:

Awkward that.
    Some of the New Extreme Right are actually descended from Nazi leaders, at least in Germany. Quite troubling really.

ReputationRep:
    This is a political decision. There are no experts. And you should know better than to to fall into the logical fallacy of the appeal to authority anyway.
    Yes how stupid to appeal to the authority of experts and professionals. Better off appealing to the man down the pub eh?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The bookies now have Remain at the highest likelihood (83%) since they started offering odds.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 11.52.22.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  116.6 KB

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06...n-say-bookies/
    Bookies odds do no more than reflect the betting situation, which might even be caused by cynical leavers betting on the opposite so that they have some good news whichever way the poll goes, or by a very few very big bets in one direction or another.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    It was in reply to post that said Remain has "little to go on but love-dovey arguments for togetherness".

And if it's a political decision, what about just leaving it to the democratically elected politicians we already have.

Name:  MPs Leave vs Remain.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  65.1 KB
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It was in reply to post that said Remain has "little to go on but love-dovey arguments for togetherness".

And if it's a political decision, what about just leaving it to the democratically elected politicians we already have.

Name:  MPs Leave vs Remain.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  65.1 KB
    Because by convention such major constitutional questions are put to the people

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They are elected for general purposes. This is a specific single issue that transcends party lines.

In any event, the mere existence of the referendum confirms that remain-supporting politicians are being too pessimistic in their predictions of doom and gloom for exit.

If the result would be such a catastrophe, Mr Cameron, why did you place the country into the position of being on a knife-edge over falling into the abyss? You are either a liar or an utterly reckless PM.

I take the view that he is just a typical political liar.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Because by convention such major constitutional questions are put to the people

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No. It's because UKIP.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    They are elected for general purposes. This is a specific single issue that transcends party lines.

In any event, the mere existence of the referendum confirms that remain-supporting politicians are being too pessimistic in their predictions of doom and gloom for exit.

If the result would be such a catastrophe, Mr Cameron, why did you place the country into the position of being on a knife-edge over falling into the abyss? You are either a liar or an utterly reckless PM.

I take the view that he is just a typical political liar.
    I don't disagree... but he probably didn't have much choice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.