The Student Room Group

If parliament had allowed 16-18 to vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
I'm sceptical that somebody with no comprehension of the English language, nor even theory of self and the likes, would be able to understand even basic political concepts

Posted from TSR Mobile

People who don't speak English wouldn't be voting. I doubt they would be eligible. You have to live in the UK. Most eligible people for the vote speak English.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
If 16-18 years old were allowed to vote in the referendum, then it's very likely that remain would have actually won. There's a very clear trend that shows how the elderly are very anti EU while the younger people tend to be pro EU. It's very frustrating for me as a 17 year old to see decisions being made by people who will honestly die within the next 10 years while I am unable to have a say. The future belongs to us, the youth.

Absoulutely disgusting what you just said. Saying elderly people shouldn't be allowed to vote because they'll "die in the next 10 years". attitudes like this is why under 18's are not allowed to vote. Plain immature, rude and filled with ignorance.

Yours sincerely, a 17 year old.
I’ve made a petition will you sign it?

Click this link to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/146588/sponsors/JcHmmRJjPGXFd6IGBc

My petition:

'individual' EU membership for UK citizens Visa free, work and study.

There is a need for people, especially the young, to be able to move freely for travel and broaden their horizons, education, employment.

The recent referendum was a protest about the country not providing the infrastructure and services for it's people before opening the doors to others. The referendum was advisory and not legally binding, and no one, not even the leave party expected the outcome. Individual membership will provide an imcome to the EU, allow free movement without additional paperwork and checks. It is not for large groups to abuse a country's system, but to build friendships and bridges. References available
Original post by Theplace

There is a need for people, especially the young, to be able to move freely for travel and broaden their horizons, education, employment.

In what sense do you believe that you won't still be free to move freely around Europe? That notion is nuts !
I understand where you're coming from but people 65+ have been on both sides. The were in the world when we weren't in the EU and when we were.

It's very likely that the youth (16-18) would have voted remain because they're scared of change. It's also very likely that if they did get a vote, some of them would have voted a certain way for a laugh. It would be like what the conservatives did when voting a labour leader in. You were able to pay £3 just to vote for the labour leader when Ed Milliband resigned so a load of Tories payed their £3 to vote Jeremy Corbyn in because they knew he would be a bad leader. So they voted Corbyn to bring down the labour party...Now look where they are now.
Pil, it appears that these are the main concerns for most people. Most people are not involved in trade deals and big business, but want to feet connected and ONE with other in the EU.
A younger generation has never had to get a visa, or a work permit.
I’ve made a petition will you sign it?Click this link to sign the petition:https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/146588/sponsors/JcHmmRJjPGXFd6IGBcMy petition:'individual' EU membership for UK citizens Visa free, work and study.There is a need for people, especially the young, to be able to move freely for travel and broaden their horizons, education, employment.The recent referendum was a protest about the country not providing the infrastructure and services for it's people before opening the doors to others. The referendum was advisory and not legally binding, and no one, not even the leave party expected the outcome. Individual membership will provide an imcome to the EU, allow free movement without additional paperwork and checks. It is not for large groups to abuse a country's system, but to build friendships and bridges. References available
I'm turning 17 next week, but I agree that 16-17 year olds shouldn't vote. The simple facts are:

- They aren't adults yet, and haven't lived independently.
- They are less informed about politics.
- Teachers can easily indoctrinate students, allowing them to change outcomes of elections/referendums. My form tutor is a far-left pro-EU Guardianista who think BoJo is 100x worse than Satan. The class just take it as fact.

It has always been this way, and just because a vote didn't go your way, doesn't mean it should change.
Reply 229
I understand that as a 17 year old that I cannot vote, and I don't have a problem with it or expect anyone to change it. However it does annoy me that the older generations voted out in order to go against the government, and that so many didn't fully research before doing their vote. Those who didn't take their vote seriously make me annoyed, when I don't have a say
Original post by Lanterne Rouge
I'm turning 17 next week, but I agree that 16-17 year olds shouldn't vote. The simple facts are:

- They aren't adults yet, and haven't lived independently.
- They are less informed about politics.
- Teachers can easily indoctrinate students, allowing them to change outcomes of elections/referendums. My form tutor is a far-left pro-EU Guardianista who think BoJo is 100x worse than Satan. The class just take it as fact.

It has always been this way, and just because a vote didn't go your way, doesn't mean it should change.

It seems we agree the voting age should go back to at least 21 then :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The person
Absoulutely disgusting what you just said. Saying elderly people shouldn't be allowed to vote because they'll "die in the next 10 years". attitudes like this is why under 18's are not allowed to vote. Plain immature, rude and filled with ignorance.

Yours sincerely, a 17 year old.

Only I didn't say that they shouldn't be allowed to vote..
Original post by dihhfu
Why are you trying to be so clever? The fact of the matter is that those under 18 are less mature and simply don't have a clue about the economy or the EU. Sure a few 16-18 year old do, but the majority don't. It's ludicrous to even suggest lowering the voting age, if anything i think it should be increased. (Coming from a 17 year old)

I was saying what I was saying comparatively. Also by suggesting, as you are, that a persons maturity decides whether they are allowed to vote completely undermines the concept of democracy. A person one day over 18 is not any more mature than someone who is on the last day of their 17th year. You can argue extensively about this but "the fact of the matter" is that a) lots of people of the voting age from 18 to 65 and over have absolutely no clue what they are voting for and b) the latter doesn't matter as they are all entitled to democracy and what does is that those of the 16-18 year old bracket will be more heavily affected by brexit for a longer period of time than those over 65. That is a fact.
Reply 233
Original post by hfd
How about if votes were weighted according to age?

Take the UK life expectancy then weight votes according to age (i.e. youngest votes weigh the bear the most significance). Since your age will determine the number of years that you will deal with the consequences of a referendum.

So not only do we want to give 16-18 year olds the vote, we want to give them the most SIGNIFICANT vote? Not sure that would work so great...
Original post by EnglishMuffin29
I can accept that you have a different opinion than me :smile:
On another hand, 3 languages?! Haha I'm impressed, I'm in the midst of learning German and Afrikaans for my family/godmother/boyfriend, and then after that hopefully expanding my Italian knowledge...I kinda forgot how fun learning a language was!
Out of curiosity, which languages do you speak?

English, Norwegian and Tamil :smile:
Original post by teenhorrorstory
So most students, those on benefits, part time workers, new mothers, and pensioners shouldn't be allowed to vote?

Yeah :smile: (cue the flame wars :wink:)
Original post by the IT MAN

PROSM

Attachment not found

"Dear young Remainers..
65 year olds + knew rationing
75 year olds + knew the Luftwaffe
90 year olds + knew Panzers
They didn't "STEAL YOUR FUTURE", THEY GAVE YOU ONE!!
Remember that!!"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I have seen so many people lament old people's choices, citing the fact that old people will die sooner. Yes, true. But what do you honestly think should be the solution? No democracy for you, sorry, you're over 65! Utterly disgusting, and I think if I was of such an age I'd find it pretty damn insulting.
And I suppose the terminally ill shouldn't vote either? Hey, you just got terminal cancer? Well, the vote won't affect you for very long, no democracy for you!

I agree. Some elderly people will have fought for this country in WW2, imagine them being told they are not allowed to vote. Outrageous.
Original post by Jammy Duel
PROSM

Attachment not found

"Dear young Remainers..
65 year olds + knew rationing
75 year olds + knew the Luftwaffe
90 year olds + knew Panzers
They didn't "STEAL YOUR FUTURE", THEY GAVE YOU ONE!!
Remember that!!"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Bern Herkins
I agree. Some elderly people will have fought for this country in WW2, imagine them being told they are not allowed to vote. Outrageous.

but wussel bwand and the labour party said to remain and it's cool to be trendy and hip and left wing waaaahh! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending