Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    UK universities know and understand qualifications from other countries - they're still only likely to admit you if you have the qualifications that are required to do well on the course concerned.

Only universities themselves can comment on whether your qualifications would be suitable - start putting together your UCAS application (you will NEED a reference and a personal statement) and contact universities you're interested in informally to ask about your chances of a place.
    Sorry to bother you again , I just wondering if you could answer a quick question, let's assume for a second that I might not get an offer from the university, and I decide to re-apply for the next year, can I use the same personal statement and the same reference, for the application, or I need to start over again?

ReputationRep:
    If a course is in clearing now, is that university more likely to accept more people outside the entry requirements too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by particlestudent)
    If a course is in clearing now, is that university more likely to accept more people outside the entry requirements too?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4#post66575434

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h8 grapes)
    if i apply through clearing will i need the certificates of my qualifications or will unis be able to see through ucas all my details? i lost my gcse certificates when i was moving to qatar and now im moving back so am worried about this.
    During clearing, universities can see your complete Ucas application, but this is a separate issue to accepting your GCSEs without seeing the certificates. Verifying your qualifications by seeing the certificates is a process some universities will do at registration and some will ask to see a scan by email. Not having your certificates won't stop you getting offers, but it could prevent you from taking up the place, so I'd suggest getting the process to get replacements started now.

ReputationRep:
    Is the courses they have on clearing be the ones available for adjustment or will the latter be different
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Pato1)
    Is the courses they have on clearing be the ones available for adjustment or will the latter be different
    They may be different. There is no central list of courses in Adjustment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    They may be different. There is no central list of courses in Adjustment.
    For Adjustment there are no advertised 'vacancies' - you just phone Universities and see it they are interested in you.

ReputationRep:
    Sussex says "3 A-Levels in any subject" without specifying the actual desired grades, what does that suggest?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ludd-sama)
    Sussex says "3 A-Levels in any subject" without specifying the actual desired grades, what does that suggest?
    Have they given you a UCAS points tariff target?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Have they given you a UCAS points tariff target?
    not from what I can see
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Scottish Unis in Clearing currently - courses are few and far between which was expected - worth a look though

http://search.ucas.com/

Abertay Uni
    University of Dundee
    Edinburgh Napier University
    University of Glasgow
    Glasgow Caledonian University
    The Glasgow School of Art
    University of the Highlands and Islands
    Queen Margaret University
    Robert Gordon University
    SAE Institute
    The University of Stirling
    The University of Strathclyde
    The University of West Scotland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jumph96)
    Sorry to bother you again , I just wondering if you could answer a quick question, let's assume for a second that I might not get an offer from the university, and I decide to re-apply for the next year, can I use the same personal statement and the same reference, for the application, or I need to start over again?
    I was interested in this too, like if I choose not to go this year after applying and accepting and unconditional would I be able to still use same reference when applying to different Unis the next year as it would be hassle going back to school just for another reference

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can. But ...

If you didnt get any offers with that PS, common sense tells you it wasn't the best. So rewrite it completely. You also need to include updates in any revised PS - ie. what you are doing for a Gap Year, and what you hope to get out of it that is relevant to your intended course.

Your teacher or whoever still has to enter your reference on the new application. You cant press a button and get the existing one applied to it. They can use the same wording - but you should ask them to please update it with a comment on your achieved grades and your intended Gap Year.

ReputationRep:
    Just great, 7 days left until results day. :sigh:

:rip:

ReputationRep:
    if i want to study something else will i need to write a new personal statement? what if i use the same words but replace some things with the stuff related to my new course? will that be plagiarism even though its still my work?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by h8 grapes)
    if i want to study something else will i need to write a new personal statement? what if i use the same words but replace some things with the stuff related to my new course? will that be plagiarism even though its still my work?
    You should put together a brief new PS (bullet points is fine) to offer to send or to help you talk about why you're applying to the new course (what you are interested in, what you've enjoyed learning about so far, what you've found out about the subject in your own time).

ReputationRep:
    Do the majority of universities conduct phone interviews when you enquire about a place in clearing? If so, how important are they? I'm worried that with the stress of results combined with the stress of ending up clearing would mean I'd be a bit of a mess on the phone so I really doubt I'd manage to perform well
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ryanroks1)
    Do the majority of universities conduct phone interviews when you enquire about a place in clearing? If so, how important are they? I'm worried that with the stress of results combined with the stress of ending up clearing would mean I'd be a bit of a mess on the phone so I really doubt I'd manage to perform well
    It depends entirely on the university and the course concerned.

Don't worry too much though - if you can manage not to sob down the phone you'll be fine (and even if you do sob down the phone most universities are going to be sympathetic - although if you're like me then sympathy makes the sobbing get worse!).

ReputationRep:
    How accurate is this? Because the Uni of Glasgow has every single course in clearing which is impossible..
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by toulouseexpress)
    How accurate is this? Because the Uni of Glasgow has every single course in clearing which is impossible..
    It's accurate for Scottish universities - although the lists might be revised slightly next week when universities have the A level results.

Glasgow isn't listing Accountancy,, Dentistry, Law, Medicine, Nursing teacher training and a bunch of other courses. Scottish universities have their number of students from Scotland strictly controlled but can get additional income by taking students from the rest of the UK.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.