Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Canihazitplz)
    Hi friends,

Wondering about my chances of getting into the MPhil in Health, Medicine, and Society (faculty of history). Applied to Oxford last year but no dice. Wasn't overly serious about it either nor would I have been able to finance it, so I'm reapplying this year with a focus on this degree at Cambridge.

Here are some stats:
    - high 2.1 first degree from top 100 (3.55-3.6/4 GPA)
    - undergrad degree was in an interdisciplinary field (think philosophy, literature, anthro, gerontology with specialization in biology)
    - currently enrolled in an MSc in Global Health with a focus on globalization and development; on track to receive 4/4 GPA
    - 1 of 2 selected out of pool of 70 students to go on an exchange to a nordic country with 5k funding from country in question; will be involved in rural health research north of arctic circle (how cool????!!!)
    - currently shortlisted for a commonwealth-related scholarship; about 7k funding to conduct qualitative health research in south africa, and it is highly likely that I will get it
    - reasonable graduate entrance award (5k)
    - shortlisted for smaller health science scholarship (2k)
    - undergraduate entrance award (3k)
    - honourable mention for history essay in university-wide humanities essay prize competition (only formal history paper I've ever written)
    - teaching assistant for courses in sustainability and global diseases
    - extensive campus involvement on issues pertaining to sustainability and medicine (club founder and executive etc)
    - 2 publications in graduate bioethics journal; 1 manuscript in progress for more legit journal on arts-based research in healthcare; 1 accepted in another interdisciplinary graduate journal
    - presented undergraduate dissertation at major national conference on medicine (abstract published); 1 minor abstract at european studies conference
    - editor at yet another graduate bioethics journal hosted by Ivy league institution
    - extracurriculars include cultural folk dance, martial arts, tutoring
    - employed for several years as research assistant on a few national studies, and also worked in quality assurance for healthcare logistics and distribution
    - I'm also looking forward to developing my historiographic/other qualitative research skills this year through my MSc dissertation, but I'm still undecided on the topic.

My grades are my achilles' heel...and the fact that I don't have formal training in either history, sociology, philosophy, or anthropology but rather a smattering of everything. I'm the epitome of a jack of all trades. Anyway, I feel that I have a fairly good research proposal/personal statement from last year since I am still interested in conducting research in that field. I will tweak it slightly, and it has already been edited and "approved" by several professors (a few grads from Oxbridge). I was thinking of using two academic references with whom I've completed independent research/my dissertation and who've known me for >2 years. I don't think its worth applying to Gates-Cambridge given the scholar profiles posted on the website.

Do you guys think its worthwhile to apply?
    You have nothing to lose( except 50 pounds), so just do it.

While certain programs do have higher GPA requirements, and I do not know whether your proposed program is one of them, the university-wide requirement is a 3.5 GPA, which you meet, so I do not think your undergrad grades are necessarily an Achilles' heel( and even if they were, the university does accept applicants with lower GPAs if the department really makes a case for them). Also, unless you are required to submit a CV/Resume, your extracurricular activities might not be as important as your references, statement, proposal and overall application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maliese)
    Thank you! This was much needed!
    Just to be clear - with 'additional references' you are referring to the personal reference plus the two academic references I need to submit anyway, right?
    One of my referees had already agreed to also write the personal reference for me before I started worrying about whether or not I should apply for Gates. I have been working as her student research assistant for almost a year now and feel like she knows me quite well by now, so I hope the reference turns out strong enough... I'm so nervous about applying, argh!
    Yeah, the personal reference for Gates is a lot longer than the academic ones if I remember correctly. That sounds great, it's better to have a reference that is really genuine from someone who likes you and knows what you're capable of. Just make sure to beat the deadline!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Canihazitplz)
    Hi friends,

Wondering about my chances of getting into the MPhil in Health, Medicine, and Society (faculty of history). Applied to Oxford last year but no dice. Wasn't overly serious about it either nor would I have been able to finance it, so I'm reapplying this year with a focus on this degree at Cambridge.

Here are some stats:
    - high 2.1 first degree from top 100 (3.55-3.6/4 GPA)
    - undergrad degree was in an interdisciplinary field (think philosophy, literature, anthro, gerontology with specialization in biology)
    - currently enrolled in an MSc in Global Health with a focus on globalization and development; on track to receive 4/4 GPA
    - 1 of 2 selected out of pool of 70 students to go on an exchange to a nordic country with 5k funding from country in question; will be involved in rural health research north of arctic circle (how cool????!!!)
    - currently shortlisted for a commonwealth-related scholarship; about 7k funding to conduct qualitative health research in south africa, and it is highly likely that I will get it
    - reasonable graduate entrance award (5k)
    - shortlisted for smaller health science scholarship (2k)
    - undergraduate entrance award (3k)
    - honourable mention for history essay in university-wide humanities essay prize competition (only formal history paper I've ever written)
    - teaching assistant for courses in sustainability and global diseases
    - extensive campus involvement on issues pertaining to sustainability and medicine (club founder and executive etc)
    - 2 publications in graduate bioethics journal; 1 manuscript in progress for more legit journal on arts-based research in healthcare; 1 accepted in another interdisciplinary graduate journal
    - presented undergraduate dissertation at major national conference on medicine (abstract published); 1 minor abstract at european studies conference
    - editor at yet another graduate bioethics journal hosted by Ivy league institution
    - extracurriculars include cultural folk dance, martial arts, tutoring
    - employed for several years as research assistant on a few national studies, and also worked in quality assurance for healthcare logistics and distribution
    - I'm also looking forward to developing my historiographic/other qualitative research skills this year through my MSc dissertation, but I'm still undecided on the topic.

My grades are my achilles' heel...and the fact that I don't have formal training in either history, sociology, philosophy, or anthropology but rather a smattering of everything. I'm the epitome of a jack of all trades. Anyway, I feel that I have a fairly good research proposal/personal statement from last year since I am still interested in conducting research in that field. I will tweak it slightly, and it has already been edited and "approved" by several professors (a few grads from Oxbridge). I was thinking of using two academic references with whom I've completed independent research/my dissertation and who've known me for >2 years. I don't think its worth applying to Gates-Cambridge given the scholar profiles posted on the website.

Do you guys think its worthwhile to apply?
    You're about to ace your MSc and have a sh*t ton of great awards and research experience so I would apply. You could also try emailing the dept and asking if they'd overlook you undergrad grades in light of your MSc. The MPhil you're applying for is one of the few requiring a 1st at undergrad, I think your MSc will cover it.

ReputationRep:
    how about we all just go to sleep

ReputationRep:
    Hey there! I am currently working on my application for the Mphil in Social and Developmental Psychology. I am a bite confused, because on the Website they say that I should contact a prospective supervisor before submitting my application, and identify him/her on my GRADSAF. However, I don´t want to apply for funding, so I am wondering if I need to contact a supervisor anyway or if it is just necessary If I´d apply for a scholarship?Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Do you think Loughborough is good ?
    I just got an offer from Loughborough and I'm waiting on decision from Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    Good luck guys don't let the wait and constant refreshing get you down, my application sat at Awaiting Consideration (last I checked was yesterday) and just jumped to Conditional Offer made.

We have to take into consideration that the stages on Self Service are administrative in nature and doesn't reflect that your application hasn't been reviewed or that it's been thrown to the consider-later pile.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zpin)
    Good luck guys don't let the wait and constant refreshing get you down, my application sat at Awaiting Consideration (last I checked was yesterday) and just jumped to Conditional Offer made.

We have to take into consideration that the stages on Self Service are administrative in nature and doesn't reflect that your application hasn't been reviewed or that it's been thrown to the consider-later pile.

Best of luck!
    Hey, zpin!

Congratulations on the offer! Well done!
    Can I just ask you a couple questions?
    Which course did you apply for? And when did you submit your full application?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by econboy)
    Hey, zpin!

Congratulations on the offer! Well done!
    Can I just ask you a couple questions?
    Which course did you apply for? And when did you submit your full application?

Thank you!
    Hey econboy! Thank you! Yea sure, I applied for Development Studies, I think I completed what they asked for/submitted in early Oct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisa1479)
    Hey there! I am currently working on my application for the Mphil in Social and Developmental Psychology. I am a bite confused, because on the Website they say that I should contact a prospective supervisor before submitting my application, and identify him/her on my GRADSAF. However, I don´t want to apply for funding, so I am wondering if I need to contact a supervisor anyway or if it is just necessary If I´d apply for a scholarship?Thank you for your help!
    I would suggest you contact a potential supervisor. Some departments require applicants( though from what I have seen, this typically applies to PhD applicants) to do so to make sure that their research interests can be accommodated by the program. I do not think it has anything to do with whether you will be applying for funding or not.

The program (Mphil in Social and Developmental Psychology) does strongly recommend "that applicants contact a prospective supervisor BEFORE submitting an application to avoid disappointment." If it is strongly recommended, then I believe you should do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zpin)
    Hey econboy! Thank you! Yea sure, I applied for Development Studies, I think I completed what they asked for/submitted in early Oct.
    Thank you for your reply.
    Have a great evening and weekend!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zpin)
    Hey zpin, I have just submitted my application for the mphil in dev studies - early November. Congrats on your offer! Mind sharing your academic and non-academic credentials?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lp27)
    I would suggest you contact a potential supervisor. Some departments require applicants( though from what I have seen, this typically applies to PhD applicants) to do so to make sure that their research interests can be accommodated by the program. I do not think it has anything to do with whether you will be applying for funding or not.

The program (Mphil in Social and Developmental Psychology) does strongly recommend "that applicants contact a prospective supervisor BEFORE submitting an application to avoid disappointment." If it is strongly recommended, then I believe you should do it.
    Okay,thank you so much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisa1479)
    Okay,thank you so much for your help!
    You're welcome! Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lp27)
    You have nothing to lose( except 50 pounds), so just do it.

While certain programs do have higher GPA requirements, and I do not know whether your proposed program is one of them, the university-wide requirement is a 3.5 GPA, which you meet, so I do not think your undergrad grades are necessarily an Achilles' heel( and even if they were, the university does accept applicants with lower GPAs if the department really makes a case for them). Also, unless you are required to submit a CV/Resume, your extracurricular activities might not be as important as your references, statement, proposal and overall application.
    They do state that they prefer a 3.7/first, but I have emailed the department and they said that it was not a strict requirement; they evaluate an applicant based on all of their merits, not just grades. Not sure how flexible they are of course, but it seems as if I won't be immediately screened out. Yes...realized that, unlike Oxford, I am not required to submit a CV. Shame, because now I have to figure out how to fit some of those awards and experiences in my statement. Pah.

(Original post by DCRsilver)
    You're about to ace your MSc and have a sh*t ton of great awards and research experience so I would apply. You could also try emailing the dept and asking if they'd overlook you undergrad grades in light of your MSc. The MPhil you're applying for is one of the few requiring a 1st at undergrad, I think your MSc will cover it.
    Yes, but they don't look at CVs ;( I have managed to list certain awards and tie them to my interests + modules (and future essays in those modules) in my statement, so hopefully they can see that I am qualified. Unfortunately, my MSc grades are unlikely to appear on my transcript until January and I am applying by the December 7th deadline. I'll try and incorporate some academic strengths into the statement and hope for the best. The department has a very strong interest in the history of reproduction, so they think that my dissertation proposal (history of midwifery/professionalization of ob-gyn) is "excellent".

Is it smart to list potential supervisors, or is it best to align the research proposal with the department's research foci? Also, I will be starting my medical degree in 2017 if Cambridge doesn't work out. Is it bad to frame my statement around the fact that I am an aspiring physician? The medical profession is closely tied to the type of research I wish to pursue, and this MPhil will help me be more "holistic" in my future practice (I know this sounds naive but I'm much more convincing in my statement). However, I worry that they would prefer someone pursuing doctoral research and will roll their eyes at my medical aspirations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zpin)

We have to take into consideration that the stages on Self Service are administrative in nature and doesn't reflect that your application hasn't been reviewed or that it's been throwdn to the consider-later pile.

Best of luck!
    Well done you must be thrilled!! Wow what an early offer. I wish the Econ dept was that quick...they are so slooow.
    You'll have a cool career with Dev Studies Masters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCRsilver)
    Well done you must be thrilled!! Wow what an early offer. I wish the Econ dept was that quick...they are so slooow.
    You'll have a cool career with Dev Studies Masters.
    hey, thank you! yup, I wouldn't worry since different programmes have somewhat different admission flows. Hopefully we'll all make it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystery2017)
    Hey zpin, I have just submitted my application for the mphil in dev studies - early November. Congrats on your offer! Mind sharing your academic and non-academic credentials?
    Hey Mystery2017, thank you. It's exciting that you're applying to dev studies too.

My profile isn't too different from the ones that have been shared. In terms of acads, a first in humanities at a decently-ranked uni. Some research exposure within and outside of my field (done in separate years at uni), and a couple of corresponding awards. Other than that, a few internships during term and in the summers (helped with my expenses at college).

Again, good luck !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holly_1994)
    Can I just ask: how long did it take for you to go from Degree Committee to Board, and then from Board to offer? Also, are you under the History Faculty if you are focusing on medieval gender studies? Sorry to be nosey!
    Sorry for my late reply, I've been swamped with deadlines!

I received an email from the department informing me of the offer long before it updated on Camsis. Unfortunately I can't say how long it took as I avoided looking too often in order to prevent myself getting too stressed out haha!

The way my MPhil works is quite complicated. The taught aspect of my course is in gender studies, but I'll end up taking medieval classes too but those are less pressing for me as my current degree is an MA in medieval history.
    For the research part I will be in the history department, with John Arnold as my supervisor most likely. Prof Arnold and I have been exchanging emails for some time about my research proposal and plans.

Best wishes for your application, I'm sure an offer is on its way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I am an international student studying Middle Eastern Studies at Tel Aviv University, Israel. I would like to apply to MPhil Management at Cambridge. I have a pretty international experience. Born in Moscow, moved to Kiev and having lived through the Ukrainian revolution 2014 and then moved to Israel in the middle of the 2014 war. I speak Russian, Ukrainian, English, German and Hebrew. My CV is very solid in terms of extra curricular activities and internships and no management experience (exactly what the course is asking for) The minimum requirement for the course though is 95% grade - first degree. My current GPA is 92%, so I was wondering if I could apply based on this if I'm sure my GPA will increase by the end of the program, since our seminar papers comprise of 30% of the final grade. However, Israeli system does not have expected grade systems, so I cannot ensure my expected results. The final grade depends on how well you will do on exams/papers. Looking forward to your prompt response!

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.