Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAtaKhan)
    I am in Istanbul rn, I watched it live in here.
    So you watched one small incident within your immediate perception. There are many other incidents all over the city, the military have opened fire and they are not backing down.

ReputationRep:
    I order for a coup to be complete, does the army have to take control of every city or just the capital city?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremy1988)
    Well, I definitely like the idea of a secular government. I'm sympathetic to the cause the military claims to be fighting for, although I wonder if it will be any better in the end than Erdogan?
    They're both authoritarian. The difference is one is Islamist authoritarian and one is secular authoritarian. I know which I'd prefer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Filler)
    What will happen to the army if they lose
    Is it not pretty obvious all of the leaders will be killed and many soldiers as well, Erdogan will then tighten his grip on the Military and the country as a whole reducing the Military's power so it couldn't happen again and if any Turkish soldier speaks out they will be killed. Also it will be even harder for Turkish Secularist Civilians to gain power in Turkey Erdogan will put them down straight away.

ReputationRep:
    The stream I'm watching I can hear what sounds like gun shots. Not sure though. You can hear the jets flying by every minute (Ankara)

ReputationRep:
    Watching Taskim square on periscope atm. Hearing some gunfire

ReputationRep:
    now their "jew" scapegoats.
    What do you mean by this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    They're both authoritarian. The difference is one is Islamist authoritarian and one is secular authoritarian. I know which I'd prefer.
    There is difference between Erdogans Islamism that foreigners can not understand, I am totally against him but I dont think you speaking as if you know what is going on is not okay. You can not know it better than us Turks in Istanbul or Ankara.

ReputationRep:
    3 confirmed wounded at the bridge where gunfire was occurred. Still looks to me that Erdogan is in a stronger position than he was at 10pm.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely gunfire. It's intensifying

ReputationRep:
    Some sort of bus pushing toward military lines (live on CNN)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    Erdogan has been using FETÖ as scapegoats just as Hitler used Jews. What I meant was that.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    BoJo will sort it all out... um...

ReputationRep:
    Someone please tell me what the hell is going on in turkey?
    The military is against the president? Like how?
    Is it true President Erdogan fled the country in his private jet? Why is he scared?
    Plz someone inform me. The NEWS! is DRIVING ME CRAZY! The headlines are changing legit every second *yes i know i'm exaggerating*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    He's claiming that this is a Gulenist (look it up on wiki) coup. Gulenist is a modertate Muslim preacher who used to be an Erdogan ally. He was forced out of the country after Erdogan claimed that corruption investigations against him were orchestrated by Gulen

Very strange for them to be claiming Gulen is some kind of anti-semite. He's started up dialogues with Jewish organisations and with the Vatican too. He's clearly quite ecumenical. He also wants more science education, so he is not Islamist crazy

ReputationRep:
    Military coup plotters can't even maintain the curfew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    Is it true President Erdogan fled the country in his private jet? Why is he scared?
    Plz someone inform me. The NEWS! is DRIVING ME CRAZY! The headlines are changing legit every second *yes i know i'm exaggerating*
    The President of Turkey Erdogan, he heads a party called AKP which has been in power since 2002. They are very conservative, Muslim party.

Traditionally Turkey has been very secular, it was founed by a man called Ataturk in the 1920 who ensured Turkey had a modern outlook, womens' rights, education and so on. The military have always seen themselves as the guardians of Ataturk's secular legacy.

Turkey had a lot of coups from the 1950s to 1980s. They haven't had one for a long time so this is surprising, but Erdogan is becoming an Islamist dictator so clearly they felt they had to act. It is repored Erdogan has flown out of the country (because he fears they will imprison him, maybe even kill him, if they get hold of him)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    Isn't the aim for the army, in the end, to have a democratic government that hasn't slid into Islamist ideals? I.e what the were before previously.

ReputationRep:
    There is difference between Erdogans Islamism that foreigners can not understand, I am totally against him but I dont think you speaking as if you know what is going on is not okay. You can not know it better than us Turks in Istanbul or Ankara.
    Could you explain the situation from a Turkish point of view that foreigners can understand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    A lot of conflicting reports right now.
    But 3 hours into the coup the rebel faction in the army don't have full control yet.
    In the morning we may wake up with erdogan still in power, or a military couple complete.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.