The Current Year 13 Thread 2016-2017

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Get your tutor or someone from school to tell your mum that four isn't wise.

Unless you're comfortable with doing four (of course).
    Yeah she wants me to see the UCAS advisor at school. Basically I want to study Japanese and she doesn't want me to drop Chinese, even though it was my lowest grade. Hopefully I'll be able to drop it...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone trying for twenty one pilots tickets this morning?!

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys do when you need motivation to keep going with the work for A-Levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blake Jones)
    What do you guys do when you need motivation to keep going with the work for A-Levels?
    Well personally I read other people's success stories or like watch a revision tip video. And I also picture myself getting the grades I want and going to the university I want

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Keep thinking "you haven't got the grades yet".

Even if you're getting As and Bs during the year, you haven't actually got them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    Well personally I read other people's success stories or like watch a revision tip video. And I also picture myself getting the grades I want and going to the university I want

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Keep thinking "you haven't got the grades yet".

Even if you're getting As and Bs during the year, you haven't actually got them.
    Thanks guys! I'm trying to get through a really difficult lot of chemistry work!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! I'm trying to get through a really difficult lot of chemistry work!
    No problem if your doing a lot of work try breaking it up into little pieces like I'll do this section then mayb take a break then the next section etc etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No problem if your doing a lot of work try breaking it up into little pieces like I'll do this section then mayb take a break then the next section etc etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good idea! Thanks! I'll have to plan some fun breaks!

ReputationRep:
    I imagine myself waking up on results day, reaching for my phone, checking Track, and finding out I've got into whatever university I applied for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thevamps99xo)
    I imagine myself waking up on results day, reaching for my phone, checking Track, and finding out I've got into whatever university I applied for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's a good idea! Seems quite far off for me yet though as I have to take 3 years out after year 13 (medical reasons)

ReputationRep:
    That's a good idea! Seems quite far off for me yet though as I have to take 3 years out after year 13 (medical reasons)
    Aw that's a bummer! I hope you're OK

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thevamps99xo)
    Aw that's a bummer! I hope you're OK

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I will be What doesn't kill you makes you stronger as they say!

ReputationRep:
    I look at revision notes on tumblr which motivates me to revise and make my notes look like that 😊

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I will be What doesn't kill you makes you stronger as they say!

That's very true
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camilla_carr)
    I look at revision notes on tumblr which motivates me to revise and make my notes look like that 😊
    Haha!! I'd spend all day just doing the title! XD

ReputationRep:
    Good idea! Thanks! I'll have to plan some fun breaks!
    Not too much though and not for too lunch just till you feel fresh and relaxed again

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I am a bit unsure about my AS/A Level choices.

So, I want to go into either Medicine (most likely) or Finance (Accountant, Actuary, Investment Banker etc.).

I got all A*s in my GCSEs (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths, Geography, Spanish, French and Latin) except for English Language and English Literature, in which I got As.

So, for A Levels (well AS this year as soon as I start year 12), I have chosen 5 AS/A Levels:

Chemistry
    Biology
    Maths
    Latin
    Spanish

But I have been thinking that these may be a bit too much lately as I am seeing threads with people saying in the past to only take 4. The thing is, for Medicine, I need the Sciences and Maths, but I also really enjoy both languages so I don't know which to drop... is it worth doing all 5 subjects or will it just be too much work? And if I do 5 subjects, will I not get any free periods?

And finally, which language is more useful, Latin, French or Spanish for Medicine/Finance? Should I swap one to Further Maths?

Haha I know there's a lot of questions and I'm starting to really overthink the situation so I would be grateful if someone could help me out.. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zari7861)
    Hi guys.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I am a bit unsure about my AS/A Level choices.

So, I want to go into either Medicine (most likely) or Finance (Accountant, Actuary, Investment Banker etc.).

I got all A*s in my GCSEs (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths, Geography, Spanish, French and Latin) except for English Language and English Literature, in which I got As.

So, for A Levels (well AS this year as soon as I start year 12), I have chosen 5 AS/A Levels:

Chemistry
    Biology
    Maths
    Latin
    Spanish

But I have been thinking that these may be a bit too much lately as I am seeing threads with people saying in the past to only take 4. The thing is, for Medicine, I need the Sciences and Maths, but I also really enjoy both languages so I don't know which to drop... is it worth doing all 5 subjects or will it just be too much work? And if I do 5 subjects, will I not get any free periods?

And finally, which language is more useful, Latin, French or Spanish for Medicine/Finance? Should I swap one to Further Maths?

Haha I know there's a lot of questions and I'm starting to really overthink the situation so I would be grateful if someone could help me out.. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You don't need to do maths for medicine although it is useful. And I'm not trying to be biased but I think spanish would be very useful. As a language I would say it's popular although french also but I would say spanish is easier. Swapping one out doesn't make things any easier and if you don't like further maths as much as the languages you won't do as well

I do suggest you do four for reals but just see how you cope and then decide if you can handle it

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to do maths for medicine although it is useful. And I'm not trying to be biased but I think spanish would be very useful. As a language I would say it's popular although french also but I would say spanish is easier. Swapping one out doesn't make things any easier and if you don't like further maths as much as the languages you won't do as well

I do suggest you do four for reals but just see how you cope and then decide if you can handle it
    Thanks for your help... And would you say Latin is useful for Medicine? And haha I enjoy Maths just as much as languages 😂😳

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :eek4: Just submitted my UCAS application erhmahgerddddd :eek4:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Realistically, I won't be getting into Cambridge, but one can always dream

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.