Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

The fibs your teacher told you in school [golden thread]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    This is so frustrating!! I thought this for AGES!

Yep I remember that one. No earrings because you might rip your ears off!
    Yes :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    That the electron arrangement is like 2,8,8 etc. Fine I may have been exaggerating when I said lie tbh
    what is it then???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    what is it then???
    1s2,2s2,2p6,3s2,3p6,4s2,3d10,4p6 etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFancy1997)
    1s2,2s2,2p6,3s2,3p6,4s2,3d10,4p6 etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh shut up you tart.

ReputationRep:
    That we would know all of the test questions if we revised, did the test and had no clue what they were on about lol

ReputationRep:
    Literally got told that lying would incite little goblins to start climbing up our legs and sprawl out onto our body, and nibble off pieces of skin until we admitted to our wicked lies... that teacher was always a little peculiar..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Settle)
    Literally got told that lying would incite little goblins to start climbing up our legs and sprawl out onto our body, and nibble off pieces of skin until we admitted to our wicked lies... that teacher was always a little peculiar..
    :shock: that's scary...!

ReputationRep:
    :shock: that's scary...!
    absolutely terrifying! eventually i realized no goblins were crawling up my skin so i started lying again :P

ReputationRep:
    "At my previous school, someone leaned so far back on their chair that they fell and cracked their head open".

ReputationRep:
    Our biology teacher told me I shouldn't go into forensics because I'd have to taste stomach acid to tell what killed a person. Turned out that this used to be a method of doing toxicology but is way outdated and very much against health and safety.

On a less gross note, My chemistry teacher told there was no hope of me getting into my first choice, three years later I graduated from that exact university. Don't know if it counts as a fib, but it certainly didn't ring true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Propyl Pear)
    Our biology teacher told me I shouldn't go into forensics because I'd have to taste stomach acid to tell what killed a person. Turned out that this used to be a method of doing toxicology but is way outdated and very much against health and safety.

On a less gross note, My chemistry teacher told there was no hope of me getting into my first choice, three years later I graduated from that exact university. Don't know if it counts as a fib, but it certainly didn't ring true.
    Now, did your Chem teacher say that to mock you or to encourage you to work harder and prove her wrong?

ReputationRep:
    This wasn't from our teachers but everyone in my junior school believed 100% completely that if you managed to escape from school without going through the gate you were allowed to go home.

There was a patch of worn down bricks in the corner of the playground. Every break someone would be kicking at those worn out bricks trying to break through so we could all go home.

:ninjagirl:

ReputationRep:
    Yep I remember that one. No earrings because you might rip your ears off!
    One of our dinner ladies had ears that had been ripped by earrings :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raniafern)
    Now, did your Chem teacher say that to mock you or to encourage you to work harder and prove her wrong?
    He told me that a couple of days after my final exam, so I really hope he wasn't trying to get me to work harder.

Either way, it's not the correct thing to say. There are ways of making a student work harder (especially one with a passion for said subject and who was A* throughout GCSE and had only fallen to a B) without telling them that all hope is lost on them.

On the plus side, he gave me a great example of what I don't want to be in the classroom.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and my teacher did tell us that "if you miss your offer grades on results day you should phone up your firm and beg for a place".

:nope:

ReputationRep:
    Here's my list of fibs;
    -"It's not that cold" says the PE teacher in the jacket
    -"Running for 30 minutes isn't that hard" says the PE teacher in the chair
    -"No eating" says the teacher eating a roast dinner
    -"Your peroid is no excuse to get out of PE" says the male PE teacher
    -"It doesn't take 10 minutes to get changed" says the PE teacher that doesn't have to.

ReputationRep:
    Paying for a maths book that was close to irrelevant, in the hope of getting back my money when I return the book, but I didn't.
    You will get back the money when you bring back the book, they said.

ReputationRep:
    "This is the best year this school has ever seen. You will get the best results the school has ever had."

Ended up with only 33% of us achieving 5 A*-C including English and Maths

ReputationRep:
    That I was going to get a E whether I liked it or not and that the teacher "quite frankly" didn't care. I got an A* but I'm pretty sure that's because I wanted to prove her wrong like it was life or death.

ReputationRep:
    There was always that story about that kid who swung back too far on his chair and died or cracked his head open lol

One teacher tried to tell us that she was allowed to keep us after school without parents permission if we misbehaved and tried to enforce it too. Unsurprisingly, she got fired.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 19, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.