Why do people here hate Warwick so much? Is it bad?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fandom-queen)
    P.S: Also, coming from someone who's the daughter of a professor, I assure you, senior professors like nobel laureates or researchers, do not teach undergraduates. It's considered a waste of time, as teaching is considered counter-productive to research and publications. There's no real big difference in curricula and teaching, every university has a basic standard. Just make sure you like the course.

My understanding is that my brother has been tutored by a distinguished professor, strictly because of the systems Oxford and Cambridge afford (1:1 - 1:3 groups with the professors in each field). This system of having exposure to these brilliant people in intimate, personal settings seems reason enough to hold elitist views about the institutions, does it not? As you mention, elsewhere this would never happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athematica)
    My understanding is that my brother has been tutored by a distinguished professor, strictly because of the systems Oxford and Cambridge afford (1:1 - 1:3 groups with the professors in each field). This system of having exposure to these brilliant people in intimate, personal settings seems reason enough to hold elitist views about the institutions, does it not? As you mention, elsewhere this would never happen.
    I suppose so. It's different for Oxbridge as you cannot work there unless you are distinguished, thus, the whole question of being taught by a lecturer, senior lecturer or reader becomes redundant, as even the simple lecturer would need to have a certain level of achievement to work in Oxbridge. You are right, in that sense.

I'm not questioning why the institutions are held in such high regard by society. They have both earned the right to that. I'm talking about the more extreme case, of people thinking someone is inept just because they are not a oxbridge student. And, although I'm doing my A-levels, I know of multiple seniors, who, despite being enrolled in reputable Russell group universities, have recounted experiences with Oxbridge students being snooty and high-nosed towards them. I myself, have met a few. Once, I told a student that I was considering firming Durham for Physics, and the distasteful look given to me, I shall never forget in my entire life.

And, as someone who's come across people from Ivy-league universities as well, it just puzzles me that the british attitude towards Oxbridge is almost fanatic. Americans aren't nearly as awe-struck by places like Princeton and Harvard, as an average British is with Oxbridge. I'm not american, but I do have a certain respect for their work ethic. For them, it's less about where you study, and more about what you do. You could go to community college, and still get as much respect for writing a research paper, as you would if you went to MIT. I'm not saying this is good or bad, I'm just saying that it's not right to think to unconsciously underestimate a physics student from Manchester, just because they're not an Oxbridge student. It's a long race, and basically, the point I'm trying to make is, getting into Oxbridge does not mean you're set for life.

But, I do believe now I'm being biased. I'm sure this is not solely the case for all Oxbridge students. But ALL Oxbridge students I've come across seem to resonate this superiority complex. And as much as I don't want to, I can't help but begin to dislike this so-called wonder institution everyone worships. So much so that even if I did have a flicker of a chance of getting in, I would not want to study there. It doesn't matter, I recognise the fact that it will continue to produce nobel laureates, continue to discover and invent things that will change our world. My opinion is unnecessary and irrelevant.

I'm really sorry for thinking this way about the institution. I don't blame people for being wonder-struck by these two institutions. They are, truly, great. But I think, it's the students who put me off.

Obviously, this is my opinion. I'm sure this not the case, and I certainly HOPE this is not the case.

ReputationRep:
    This thread shows you one very important thing, something that you do need to think very carefully about - 'rankings', 'league tables' and the juvenile 'mine is better than yours' stuff are utter nonsense - and no way to choose a University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    This thread shows you one very important thing, something that you do need to think very carefully about - 'rankings', 'league tables' and the juvenile 'mine is better than yours' stuff are utter nonsense - and no way to choose a University.
    Absolutely. Going to uni, just for the sake of wanting someone to clamour for your attention because you're a student in Cambridge, is no reason, or motivation, to be educated. That's a universal truth in any field, in any institution. You're better off quitting now, because that attitude will never help you achieve excellence.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. Going to uni, just for the sake of wanting someone to clamour for your attention because you're a student in Cambridge, is no reason, or motivation, to be educated. That's a universal truth in any field, in any institution. You're better off quitting now, because that attitude will never help you achieve excellence.
    Though it doesn't seem healthy, many seem to get much further than just university with this very drive, at least in what we'll call an 'objective sense', meaning monetary and otherwise unrelated to one's mental and emotional wellbeing.

The advice to not use it as a motivator is something I agree with, of course. To do otherwise would compete with my idea of what it means to live well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athematica)
    Though it doesn't seem healthy, many seem to get much further than just university with this very drive, at least in what we'll call an 'objective sense', meaning monetary and otherwise unrelated to one's mental and emotional wellbeing.

The advice to not use it as a motivator is something I agree with, of course. To do otherwise would compete with my idea of what it means to live well.
    I suppose so. It's different for Oxbridge as you cannot work there unless you are distinguished, thus, the whole question of being taught by a lecturer, senior lecturer or reader becomes redundant, as even the simple lecturer would need to have a certain level of achievement to work in Oxbridge. You are right, in that sense.

I'm not questioning why the institutions are held in such high regard by society. They have both earned the right to that. I'm talking about the more extreme case, of people thinking someone is inept just because they are not a oxbridge student. And, although I'm doing my A-levels, I know of multiple seniors, who, despite being enrolled in reputable Russell group universities, have recounted experiences with Oxbridge students being snooty and high-nosed towards them. I myself, have met a few. Once, I told a student that I was considering firming Durham for Physics, and the distasteful look given to me, I shall never forget in my entire life.

And, as someone who's come across people from Ivy-league universities as well, it just puzzles me that the british attitude towards Oxbridge is almost fanatic. Americans aren't nearly as awe-struck by places like Princeton and Harvard, as an average British is with Oxbridge. I'm not american, but I do have a certain respect for their work ethic. For them, it's less about where you study, and more about what you do. You could go to community college, and still get as much respect for writing a research paper, as you would if you went to MIT. I'm not saying this is good or bad, I'm just saying that it's not right to think to unconsciously underestimate a physics student from Manchester, just because they're not an Oxbridge student. It's a long race, and basically, the point I'm trying to make is, getting into Oxbridge does not mean you're set for life.

But, I do believe now I'm being biased. I'm sure this is not solely the case for all Oxbridge students. But ALL Oxbridge students I've come across seem to resonate this superiority complex. And as much as I don't want to, I can't help but begin to dislike this so-called wonder institution everyone worships. So much so that even if I did have a flicker of a chance of getting in, I would not want to study there. It doesn't matter, I recognise the fact that it will continue to produce nobel laureates, continue to discover and invent things that will change our world. My opinion is unnecessary and irrelevant.

I'm really sorry for thinking this way about the institution. I don't blame people for being wonder-struck by these two institutions. They are, truly, great. But I think, it's the students who put me off.

Obviously, this is my opinion. I'm sure this not the case, and I certainly HOPE this is not the case.
    Oh, absolutely. As I mentioned there, I'm perfectly aware that this mindset is what works, nowadays. Perhaps I'm more of an emotional being, where I do care about my mental-state and peace of mind. Being mechanical about things would be a better way to live, in the 21st century. Sadly, it's not an art I've mastered, yet.

As I've reiterated, it is, in the end, just an opinion of a person who has a lot to prove. I do not think I have the liberty of judging oxbridge students, I have barely the academic credentials required to go to uni. Thus, I think I'd better stop. I have no right to judge anyone.

It just wouldn't kill them to be a bit nicer to us 'ordinary mortals'

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.