The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as an entirely rational person, only those who are more and less aware of their irrationality.

ReputationRep:
    Second vote seems to be unapproved/caught up in mod queue :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    There is no such thing as an entirely rational person, only those who are more and less aware of their irrationality.
    Been reading Ariely or something??

ReputationRep:
    Some hard-hitting journalism here on the gender pay gap;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...ime=1471932396

"This is mainly a result of mothers tending to work fewer hours than colleagues who are not parents" says the IFS.

Studies last year found women aged between 22 and 29 on average earn more than their male counterparts.

ReputationRep:
    It costs £53 for a return ticket to Birmingham from Manchester next week.

Disgusting. Yep privatisation is really brining the cost down for the consumer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When you going, and which stations?? If you go off peak, then you can get a single for like £15.00

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    When you going, and which stations?? If you go off peak, then you can get a single for like £15.00
    From Manchester Piccadilly to New Street. Have to be there for 10 am which means getting a peak time train in the morning. So expensive even with a railcard.

Yet some pretend that this is a good service.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    From Manchester Piccadilly to New Street. Have to be there for 10 am which means getting a peak time train in the morning. So expensive even with a railcard.

Yet some pretend that this is a good service.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh, peaks are a ***** xD

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would gladly pay £100 to avoid Birmingham....

ReputationRep:
    So what, in your opinion can feasibly be done to make our rail services less expensive, less crowded and if possible, quicker? If you are discounting nationalization.
    To make services less expensive will be extremely hard given that i don't support further taxation. Greater investment in more cost efficient (for railways it's about the cost per mile) stock and methods (electrical trains are cheaper to run than diesel) is probably the way to go coupled with increased competition.

Less crowded is simply a capacity issue, the government should no longer stand in the way of operators purchasing new stock (which right now they do because if they lost the franchise, the new stock would go with them).

Quicker is an investment issue requiring the abolition of laws relating to planning objections (weaken the NIMBY to build faster lines).

So apparently Theresa May is set to abolish elected mayors and curtail on devolved powers to local regions. Great, the one good thing that Osborne did and she sh*ts all over it.

Authoritarian as always May.
    I don't think it's about being authoritarian but rather than May believes that some cities should not be cherry picked over others.

With that being said i don't have that much faith in the state to spread such rewards and generally quite like agglomeration economics. Additionally i think that the northern powerhouse idea was strategically the one good plan i've heard to turn our prosperous urban centers blue.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As per our conversation last night, that is because this model of privatisation has granted the operator a monopoly (often with moderation of competition clauses ingrained).

Marketisation is the way to go. Before the war we had 120 rail firms competing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    To make services less expensive will be extremely hard given that i don't support further taxation. Greater investment in more cost efficient (for railways it's about the cost per mile) stock and methods (electrical trains are cheaper to run than diesel) is probably the way to go coupled with increased competition.

Less crowded is simply a capacity issue, the government should no longer stand in the way of operators purchasing new stock (which right now they do because if they lost the franchise, the new stock would go with them).

Quicker is an investment issue requiring the abolition of laws relating to planning objections (weaken the NIMBY to build faster lines).

I don't think it's about being authoritarian but rather than May believes that some cities should not be cherry picked over others.

With that being said i don't have that much faith in the state to spread such rewards and generally quite like agglomeration economics. Additionally i think that the northern powerhouse idea was strategically the one good plan i've heard to turn our prosperous urban centers blue.
    When ignoring the political impact of the Northern powerhouse it seemed generally a good idea to grant local regions more powers. Manchester has different needs to London etc and giving devolved regions more control would have facilitated this better.

I largely think the cut backs on devolution are an attempt to prevent labour mayors and councils from having any meaningful local power.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As per our conversation last night, that is because this model of privatisation has granted the operator a monopoly (often with moderation of competition clauses ingrained).

Marketisation is the way to go. Before the war we had 120 rail firms competing.
    I agree to an extent. Either we need greater competition with no monopolies or we need a nationalised service to reduce costs.

This current system is far worse than either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Try living in rural Kent and having to get a bus costing £15 to get to the station beforehand and THEN paying £50 to go the 40 miles to London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Try living in rural Kent and having to get a bus costing £15 to get to the station beforehand and THEN paying £50 to go the 40 miles to London.
    Christ. I can get a weekly local ticket for less than 15.

ReputationRep:
    The cost of the bus is actually justified tbf, given that it has to take a rather major detour down some very winding country roads to get round all the villages.

One of the main reasons I'm planning on moving out of the countryside as soon as I can though.

ReputationRep:
    Re railways, I would have thought that investing into our railways to allow for cheaper tickets would be a fiscal multiplier? The cheaper and more accessible public transport is, the easier it is for people to commute and find jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    The cost of the bus is actually justified tbf, given that it has to take a rather major detour down some very winding country roads to get round all the villages.

One of the main reasons I'm planning on moving out of the countryside as soon as I can though.
    I know the pain. I kinda feel that villages which are out of the way, but less than a mile from the next nearest village, shouldn't be serviced, and just walk.

ReputationRep:
    Re railways, I would have thought that investing into our railways to allow for cheaper tickets would be a fiscal multiplier? The cheaper and more accessible public transport is, the easier it is for people to commute and find jobs.
    If only the Government could get a grip on the Southern Rail situation.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't been to the pub properly in a week. Tonight's going to be something along these lines:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.