The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giggy12s)
    The JD Question Time event at their office. She told me that the majority of winter apps have been filled and a few left to interview. So I am selecting Easter as my number 1 pick and then summer as number 2 on the form.
    Brilliant!

Oh well. Hopefully I do well at interview and they offer me a place on an alternative scheme or something.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, just a very quick question.
    My friend and I can't come to terms with the following:

In a standard "list your extra-curricular activities and any positions of responsibility held", would you also consider talking about any part-time job you had in addition to strict extra-curricular ones (such as sport clubs and societies?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anthony I)
    Hey everyone, just a very quick question.
    My friend and I can't come to terms with the following:

In a standard "list your extra-curricular activities and any positions of responsibility held", would you also consider talking about any part-time job you had in addition to strict extra-curricular ones (such as sport clubs and societies?)

No - part-time jobs should be included in any work experience section.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone who's had an interview with Jones Day heard back yet? Its driving me crazy!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    No - part-time jobs should be included in any work experience section.
    Thank you, I thought that would be the case!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexbev)
    Has anyone who's had an interview with Jones Day heard back yet? Its driving me crazy!!
    Nope but I'm like that too! They did say 2-3 weeks however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin717)
    Nope but I'm like that too! They did say 2-3 weeks however.
    Ah I never asked them so that is reassuring! Just started to worry with someone else on the thread saying that most places had been filled! Good luck to you

ReputationRep:
    currently completing my Herbert Smith Freehills application. met lots of their representatives at events before and they seem like a really engaging and forward thinking firm. office is nice and easy to get to aswell haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexbev)
    Ah I never asked them so that is reassuring! Just started to worry with someone else on the thread saying that most places had been filled! Good luck to you
    Thanks! You too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_wallflower)
    I emailed them to ask and they said November. They also said the website has been updated to reflect this but clearly not ahah
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask a question of any graduates who are currently working full time. When you have interviews do you just request a day of holiday leave from your job or do you pull a sicky? My current job can't know I'm applying for other jobs and I'm feeling a tad awkward about it

ReputationRep:
    Kinda stumped by how to approach this question.

How do you think a career in law will affect your lifestyle?

It's a part of one question which also asks why law and why this firm and has a 250 word limit.

Are they expecting us to acknowledge that late nights will happen? Does it want us to show how we intend to develop?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by traineewannabe)
    Can I ask a question of any graduates who are currently working full time. When you have interviews do you just request a day of holiday leave from your job or do you pull a sicky? My current job can't know I'm applying for other jobs and I'm feeling a tad awkward about it
    I've done both before. If my employer did not or would not grant holiday for the day of the interview, I pulled a sicky. Luckily, 2/3 of my holiday requests for interviews were granted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hodgey111)
    I've done both before. If my employer did not or would not grant holiday for the day of the interview, I pulled a sicky. Luckily, 2/3 of my holiday requests for interviews were granted.

Good to know, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by traineewannabe)
    My advice when I have been in this position is utilising or making up any on-going medical treatment, and a mixture of annual leave. Its easy to explain reoccurring time off for doctors/dentist appointments, especially if you don't need a full day off. Plus organisations don't want to stop you from getting medical treatment if there is a risk you will then being off sick.

It doesn't even have to be anything major, I've known people who have said they have had on-going dental treatment when I know they have really been going for interviews.

If it was me, if I needed a full day I'd take annual leave. If it was half a day, I'd use an appointment as an excuse and make the time off up over the rest of the week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    My advice when I have been in this position is utilising or making up any on-going medical treatment, and a mixture of annual leave. Its easy to explain reoccurring time off for doctors/dentist appointments, especially if you don't need a full day off. Plus organisations don't want to stop you from getting medical treatment if there is a risk you will then being off sick.

It doesn't even have to be anything major, I've known people who have said they have had on-going dental treatment when I know they have really been going for interviews.

If it was me, if I needed a full day I'd take annual leave. If it was half a day, I'd use an appointment as an excuse and make the time off up over the rest of the week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for your advice

ReputationRep:
    hm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawadvice)
    I am a history student at the University of Exeter, and because of various reasons (although none of them really valid as mitigation), I obtained poor first year results, of around a mid third. In my second year I achieved a mid 2:1 with 2:1s in all modules, and on track for a high 2:1 in my third year. If I was to obtain this, and a similar mark in my history masters, would I have a chance at obtaining a training contract in a silver circle firm? My first year results are wholly down to the fact that I did not believe that they were of significance or that they would be scrutinised, and are not representative of my skill nor my level of commitment to my education. I also obtained A*s at A-Level and have law work experience. Should I give up and focus on a different career path? Would like to know any thoughts.
    If you get very good final year grades and then decide to do a masters in history (that might make people question why you want to do law though), then it could just be seen as a blip and you could have a chance.

Depends on the relative strength of the rest of your application though. Academics are not everything. You have your issue on your application, you can't afford for there to be another.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What would be your advice for us workers if [hopefully] we were to land a vacation scheme - ask for unpaid leave for one/two weeks? As the vac schemes are in December, I've used up all my annual leave for the year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mancora307)
    What would be your advice for us workers if [hopefully] we were to land a vacation scheme - ask for unpaid leave for one/two weeks? As the vac schemes are in December, I've used up all my annual leave for the year!
    Yes - best bet is to be honest with your employer at that stage and say you would like the time off unpaid to attend the internship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.