Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Jazzy Foot)
    Does the college accept applications for part-time programmes and what is the likelihood of receiving an offer from the college once the department has made me an offer?

Is Peterhouse extremely competitive at postgraduate level meaning that only those with a first-class degree and distinctions would receive an offer?
    For the benefit of undergrad applicants: Postgraduate admissions are different

I don't know about your first question with certainty but [email protected] will know.

The probability of an offer from the college depends on many factors so it is impossible to say I'm afraid. We are oversubscribed at PG level but decisions on who to accept aren't just made on academic grounds.

Postgraduate admissions are different

ReputationRep:
    Would an an applicant for Computer Science (75%) be disadvantaged by offering only Maths/Further Maths/German? I'm predicted A*A*A* for the three of them and I have a ~94% average across my maths modules, but I dropped Physics after AS because I wanted to focus on programming ECs.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by metrize)
    If I did maths a2 in one year with physics and chemistry at as, then doing further maths a2 and physics a2 in the next year, will there be a 3 a level offer including the maths a2 or only 2 a level offer for physics and further maths
    Conditional offers can only include subjects where the results aren't yet known, otherwise it isn't isn't conditional. In situations like yours, we'd usually expect A*A*A in the subjects taken in year 13. This does not mean that the maths A level isn't 'counted' - it very much is taken into account when assessing candidates but we want candidates to continue to work hard in year 13. For Engineering we might also specify that the A*s have to be in Physics and FM and we might ask you to get a 1 in STEP I (in this case we might not include Chemistry but we most likely would).
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by gliitter)
    For a choral scholarship, do we need to be at a certain grade to be able to apply? I've been in my school choir (which is selective) for a long time. Am I still eligible to apply?
    Hi, for a Choral Award there's no requirements as long as you think you could do well at the audition. If you're interested in Peterhouse choir, you can also join and audition for Choral Exhibitioner status once you arrive, even if you were unsuccessful in the Award audition..
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Is it a rarity for applicants to get offers with a B in one subject at AS, or is it not actually that uncommon? (Law)
    Not that uncommon, but obviously depends on the entirety of the application and its context.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Since Cambridge won't be asking for raw marks, does that mean that more emphasis will be placed on interview performance and admissions tests?
    No particular emphasis is placed on any one element - assessment is holistic and case-by-case. We are very experienced in assessing candidates without UMS or marks - this year we'll be assessing all candidates as we've always done for the ~40% of our field without UMS but with the addition of admissions assessments in many more subjects.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Hjortlund)
    Peterhouse Admissions I've asked this question before in the Christ's thread, but do you have any experience with Danish applicants who did not take IB, but instead took the danish studentereksamen or any of its variants? If so, do you have any data regarding grade requirements in any given offers? I know that the typical offer as written on the Cambridge site is an overall average of 11, with 12 in relevant subjects, but I would love to hear of some actual offers if possible.
    I'm afraid we can't really add anything to what you already know - Colleges are much more similar than they are different and actual offers are as you would expect - 11 or 12 overall with 12s in relevant subjects.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by PhysicsIP2016)
    What subject are you thinking of applying for?

In your case it would be a 2 a-level offer as they use the Maths A2 mark when deciding whether to make you an offer. If you want to do Maths then it's fine to do the Physics and Further Maths as you do STEP as well, but if it's NatSci I would seriously advise taking Chemistry onto A2 as well (I initially dropped Biology after AS and was going to carry on just Physics and Further Maths but then they told me I wouldn't really be considered for NatSci as I would only be doing 2 A-Levels in Year 13 so I had to continue with Bio)

EDIT: Sorry I forgot about Engineering too. Not sure about Engineering but I'd imagine they might want to see Chemistry as well but someone can correct me if I am wrong.
    I'm afraid this isn't correct and might mislead. PhysicsIP2016 or mods could you edit this to delete please?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
    I am applying for 2018 entrance but I would still like to question here.

I would like to apply for natural sciences (physical) but I am mainly interested in physics. I would be interested in doing courses in chemistry and computer science for the first year. Would I want to do be doing things to prove my interest in those or is it fine to just do so for physics? Also, are there any recommendations for what I can do to prove my interest in the field?

My GCSE grades are 1A^, 4A*s, 3As (one SC) and 5 Bs. I am going to study maths, further maths, physics and chemistry for AS (I achieved the top grades for those, A*/A^). If I manage to achieve somewhere between AAAA to AABB in my ASs would that make up for my GCSE grades if I have a strong personal statement and reference? Also, would it be recommended that I drop a subject for A2 as I would have more study periods and also more time to work on the other three subjects? I've heard from someone that this makes applications less likely to be successful but I'm not sure that it's true. I will most likely do an EPQ in year 13, can the grade achieved in that count towards the A*A*A offer if I don't get the grade for one of my A2 subjects?
    Hi, ask away!

For demonstrating interest, read and write! Our own year 12 essay competitions will launch in November, including the Kelvin Science Prize. Thinkgs like the EPQ are also great for this.

I'd encourgae you to read outside of your subject and try to interpret Physics in the widest possible sense - if you're interested, look at Physical Chemistry and the overlap between the Physics ad Chemistry beyond A level. One of the great things about studying Natural Sciences is you learn just how blurred and imprecise the boundaries between the sciences are. A level curricula impsoe arbitrary definations about what is Biology and what is Chemistry, or where the line between Chemistry and Physics is and these lines just don't exist at university and there is so much cool stuff to be learned where different subjects overlap.

With strong AS and A levels you're GCSEs will not be a problem. See how you get on with year 12 for a bit and then revist the idea of A2 subjects later - you might completely (or maybe just slightly) change your mind about what you're interested in between now and then. EPQ grades don't form part of offers and can't be counted towards the typical offer.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ysp)
    Thank you, so do you take into account which courses I'm looking to do within the Nat Sci course and how do you find this out, should I put it in the SAQ?
    I'm actually looking to do the biology of cells course, chemistry and possibly earth sciences, despite lacking A-Level Biology. Would this be a disadvantage?
    You can mention it on the SAQ or the College might email you to ask once you've applied. Any choice made at this stage is non-binding and is just to help us assess your results and organise relevant interviews. Biology, Chemistry and Earth Sciences would put you on the boundary between biological and physical sciences but I think you'd probably have a Chemistry interview and a Biology interview. Most of the other candidates you would be competing with would have Biology to A level or equivalent so you might want to start doing some Biology reading. For the first year options you're interested in, further mathematics won't be too important, if that affects your A level choice.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by amelienine)
    Hi, I'm thinking of applying for Economics.

I did the full Maths A level in one year and got an A for it, but I'm planning to retake the C3 & C4 to try for an A*. I also did Economics AS and Psychology AS, both of which I got As for. However, in Year 13 I'm doing Further Maths in one year. I'm wondering if it were possible if I dropped Psychology, therefore leaving me with 3 A Levels (Maths, FM, Economics) and 1 AS (Psychology).

I feel that I really want to focus on those 3 subjects and get very high in them (A*AAa or better), rather than possibly getting AAAA.
    The key thing is that we'd want to see a full workload in year 13. Please be aware that the typical offer for Economics is A*A*A and in either scenario we'd likely want A*s in Further Maths and Economics. You could keep psychology for now and if you find the workload too much then you can write to us later in the process and ask if you could discontinue it - lots of people ask to drop subjects after offers are made and we try to be reasonably accomodating!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by lion7)
    Hi Peterhouse Admissions!
    I have just received my AS results and I'm hoping to apply for Maths, which I'm aware has applicants with relatively high UMS. My scores are as follows:
    C1: 98
    C2:100
    S1: 98
    M1:96
    FP1: 97
    D1: 100
    S2: 90
    M2: 83
    I am happy with the top 6 but my school let us opt in to sit 2 extra modules (S2 and M2). Unfortunately, my M2 score is a lot lower than I expected considering I was strong at M2 (I hope to get it remarked for the sake of my FM grade). Will this rogue module be a detriment to my application?
    My average is still above 95 and I am predicted 4A* in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Would I have a chance of being selected for interview and being a competitive applicant?

Thanks in advance!
    You would have a good chance of receiving an interview and being a competitive applicant. Anyone can have an off day and we don't expect perfection
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by armyoctopus)
    Hi Peterhouse!

I'm considering applying to study linguistics at Cambridge. I will be taking A-levels in French, Physics, Maths and FM. I'm in year 12 at the moment. However, it also says on the Cambridge website that English Language or Literature, Maths, an Arts/Science mix, and a Language are useful preparation. Do you think my A-level choices will put me at a disadvantage in any way? They are quite maths-heavy - I don't really want to study English. Should I consider taking it anyway? Would it be a cause for concern if an applicant had not studied English at A-level? My school doesn't offer English Language A-level. I got 200/200 UMS in my English Literature GCSE, if that helps.

I could also take another language (Spanish) if it'll improve my application for linguistics.
    Hi, thanks for asking, great to hear that you're interested in Linguistics.

We don't have any essential or preferred subjects for Linguistics. A language can be useful, and maths is never a terrible idea. Why not come along to an open day at some point this year and chat to some linguistics interviewers? Also think about which (if any subjects) you'd like to drop at the end of year 12.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm thinking of applying in 2018 so I'm not sure if I'm asking in the right place. I think I should make an attempt at least

My question is with regards to number of A levels after the reforms for my year group (starting year 12). Most colleges now only enroll their students with three subjects, some with four, and don't do ASs. The sixth form I'm most likely attending hasn't done this, and enrolls all students on four. As well as this, Maths and FM are counted as one option. This means I find myself starting Year 12 with the possibility of leaving Year 13 with 5 A2s, possibly 1 AS and 4 A2 or just 4 A2 if I drop a subject where we don't do AS. This would mean a year of wasted effort. I find this to be a very strange offering so I am going to bring this issue up with the leadership.

I know that 5 is far too many so I will most likely try to have one subject dropped asap. Theoretically, I could also try and drop another so I only have 3 A2, but that would mean that out of a 50 hour week, I'd have 30 study periods which isn't ideal. My question is with regards to the value of ASs. Since AS exams won't be taking place for most students in my year group, will they be looked upon differently to how they have been in the past? If I was to apply with a completed A2 (Maths in a year), 2 or 3 predicted A2s and a completed AS, would the AS count for anything at all? This would be alongside an EPQ. I've read your responses to other questions regarding number of A levels and I have read these, but I'd like to ask more specifically about AS.

Thank you.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by JN17)
    How important would you say a personal statement is for subjects like Maths, Natural Sciences etc? My school is saying it's less important for these subjects because it's mostly about your actual ability in the subject as opposed to an essay based subject. Whilst I agree with them that information like UMS, interviews and entrance exams are a better way to assess these applicants, it's better to hear it from the uni themselves so there's no confusion (heard mixed views really), also seems to be mostly the schools opinion just for Oxbridge, as other universities may not do interviews or entrance exams and hence only really have your grades&personal statement so it's much more important in that case.
    Ooh, good question! Your PS won't disadvantage you provided it is coherent and doesn't make any random threats or anything but a good PS does have the potential to showcase your strengths. For NatSci the UCAS PS is also an opportunity to tell us about which area of science (and topics within that) you're most interested in and the SAQ statement can be used to tell us about why you're interested in the Cambridge course in particular. You're completely right about the varied importance of the PS across different universities.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by jtmass22)
    Hi. I will he applying for engineering this year and was wondering how important the interview is/was as I have seen statistics showing how numerous previously acedemically flawless applications have been rejected presumeably due to interview. I am worried about the importance of this as im worried i might not perform on the day. Will the importance of the interview be lessened by the admissions assessment this year and so allow more room for underperforming?
    Thanks
    The interview is no more and no less important than anything else. Engineering is a competitive course with over 7 applicants per place. A high proportion of the rejected applicants do go on to achieve 3 or 4 A*s at A level. It isn't generally understood that rejection doesn't reflect a 'bad' interview. We often hear that our feedback isn't helpful because candidates read the feedback expecting to hear the one thing they did wrong which led to their rejection. In fact, in most cases, the feedback is that the candidate was quite strong and did reasonable well at the problems asked but that, overall, their application, test scores and interviews weren't quite as good as those we made offers to.

There are more strong candidates than we have places so lots of good, competent engineers are simply edged out when the totality of their application is considered. The pre-interview assessments will give us one more piece of data for this assessment.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by panic!intheexam)
    Hi!

Firstly, thanks for making this thread. I wanted to ask about the essay question for the Architecture admission test- is there a set topic/theme for this essay that applicants know about beforehand, or could anything be asked?
    Hi,

The specification is at
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...cification.pdf. The essay will be general but related to Architecture.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by benjo456)
    Hi, I think Im a bit late but here goes.

Am I at a severe disadvantage for Computer Science applications without Further Maths? I hope to take Further Maths AS this year, but at the very least the school may only be able to fit me into D1 lessons (not FP1 lessons) which is really annoying.

Do you still accept CompSci's with no FM A Level?

Thank you
    We will accept applications for Computer Science without FM A level but, realistically, you would be at a disadvantage and would not be considered for CompSci with Mathematics. Our Computer Science course is very mathematical.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Qwertyxxx123)
    Dear Sir/Madam,

I am an applicant on a gap year who wants to apply for engineering. I achieved 4A*'s at the A level. I am currently working in industry through this year.
    I would like to know if being on a gap year significantly disadvantages me, and what does Cambridge specifically look for applicants on gap years?
    Hi,

Being on a gap year doesn't disadvantage you and you would be assessed in the same way as candidates still at school and we'd be looking for the same things (i.e. an academic interest in the subject and the ability to do well on the Cambridge course). We would expect a bit more maturity, knowledge and insight at interview though.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by hey(:)
    Hello Peterhouse, I was wondering if I could submit a testimonial I received following my job shadowing experience when making my application for Medicine or is the testimonial just for me to read personally?
    Also does not taking any subjects at H3 level significantly disadvantage my application?
    Thank you for answering our questions!
    Hi,

You could submit the testemonial but I doubt it would play much of a role (if any) if admissions decisions. We don't require any subjects at H3 and would expect you to follow your school's policy.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.