Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English Language B - ENB5 - The Big Pre-release Thread! watch

• View Poll Results: Which pack of pre-release are you focusing on?
    The Pendle Witches
    27.43%
    Dyslexia
    41.59%
    Both
    30.97%

ReputationRep:
    Alan davies is so cute XD Anyway, I favour the witches as I could imagine the dyslexia to have a sting in the tail due to being easier to read.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know whether we can include our own opinions on things in our answers - so long as it fits in with the suitable audience and purpose??

also when drawing a diagram of the layout of a leaflet for example - do we include pictures only provided in the pre-release packs?? and refernece them as "picture of Pendle hill taken from Text B"?? or do we just make it up??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Botticello)
    Alan davies is so cute XD Anyway, I favour the witches as I could imagine the dyslexia to have a sting in the tail due to being easier to read.
    Agreed! :love:

ReputationRep:
    ya know we may get more marks if we do the Pendle witches question - because (hopefully) the examiners will give us extra credit due to the fact that some of it is in old english and its less accesible than the dyslexic pack....i hope anyway!!

the question is likely to be a travel guide maybe about the Pendle area and the supernatural supperstition that goes with it...or perhaps something educational for kids....hoping its not a play - that could be quite difficult... anyone got any other ideas???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hattilongsoks)

p.s. is there a link/thread for the Language Change/and or/ Language Acquistion Exam?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=249791

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soph :))
    ya know we may get more marks if we do the Pendle witches question - because (hopefully) the examiners will give us extra credit due to the fact that some of it is in old english and its less accesible than the dyslexic pack....i hope anyway!!

the question is likely to be a travel guide maybe about the Pendle area and the supernatural supperstition that goes with it...or perhaps something educational for kids....hoping its not a play - that could be quite difficult... anyone got any other ideas???
    i thought maybe an article for a tv guide on a pendle witches documentary? lol proabbaly unlikely

anyone started puttin them into groups yet?...retaking this module coz i flopped it last year-tis so hard

ReputationRep:
    thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    hey there guys! long time reader, first time poster here. i personally want to put my hands up and admit that i haven't completed a single editorial writing text yet or for that matter even attempted a commentary, however i have a few tips and hints for this exam, some which may have been previously mentioned, some which you may not choose to follow given my lack of "hands on" experience and also my status of a new member on here.
    firstly i would like to say, from what my teahcers have said, the tone and sticking to the question is the most important thing here, i know we're supposed to get to around 1000 words here, but seriously, no examiner is going to sit there and count those, especially if you have the QUALITY.
    i would like to bring your attention at this point to what i consider the most important resource on both sets. this is not any of the texts, but instead the list of sources provided at the end of each set. these give a HUGE clue to what the paper is likely to be on, and help narrow down the possibilities.
    the pendle witches draws a HUGE comparison with the 2005 "grace darling pack" & i would highly recommend reading this resource and the questions & answer scheme.

the pendle witches uses little graphology compared to grace darling and other past papers, and this is a big indication of the fact it is not going to be aimed at young children as the graphological features are so key to a texts interaction with a young child.
    the vast text would imply that it is going to be a radio transcript, but good-luck to anyone doing that, because i for one wouldn't know how to set that out in terms of the fact radio shows have live phone-ins etc. that said Grace darling used radio 4, and that was only a short while ago...
    with this in mind, i again draw your attention to the acknowledgement of sources...the sources show that there is a mention about "a walk" and a "trail" this to me suggests a leaflet as it would provide background to any tourists walking around the area.
    Also, through my research i have found out there is a "pendle heritage centre" and to me this suggests that a local museum would be likely to place this at the centrepiece of any public display, especially considering the events of pendle witches occured nearly 400 years ago).

so anyway, back to the point USE THE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF SOURCES TO HELP IDENTIFY OR NARROW DOWN THE OPTIONS OF THE QUESTION!

oh also!! i've just realised a potential link for audience if its not a radio audience and its not a musuem, CONSIDERING THE FACT WE'VE SPENT 9 MONTHS WORKING ON UNIT 6 AND LANGUAGE CHANGE, wouldn't it be so apt for the audience to potentially be young adults of our age?!

...i've just probably broke the record for the longest first post ever by the way...

but i've got more

in terms of the dyslexia text, it almost seems too good to be true. i mean pendle requires a lot of background knowledge whereas in dyslexia you could do no reading and just work with what you do have on the day.
    so while in essence it could be a dream come true, it is more likely that the examiners will have set something with a twist, for example a web doctor info page. especially considering in society today, most of us use the internet as first point of call for things.
    i really reckon it will be important to research for more than the parent, because the text provides both texts that seem more complexed and those that seem more simplified i.e. memory games for a child.

due to my poor exam prep and the fact i have had all my main exams from the time of the pre release to just before and after it, i'm not going to actually stress myself out about deconstruction of the texts until monday or the tuesday morning. theres no point really, you can only do so much. i think my advice would be that at the end of the day if you can PREPARE FOR 4 POTENTIAL QUESTIONS (FOR BOTH SETS) THAT MAY ARISE that way one of them is going to come up for definate or at least a variation of it, so you should be totally fine for your options come exam day

i would like to finish this comment by passing on some advice my teacher gave me, she told me "kris, you should bring out your individiality in the unit 5 work, because as long as its within the confines of the question it will gain you credit, i can tell you, as an exam marker there is nothing more dull than an essay that is exactly the same as the last one, and the one before." that is particularly prominent to me because that was one of the last things the teacher said to me, this is down to the fact she had a medical condition that led to her having a lot of time off, and then a little less than two months ago we were informed that she had passed away.

so yeah i think that what she said is very important and good advice that we can all take something from

right, its stupidly late now, and i'm almost finished, obviously i hope most of all this research and observation by myself will help everyone out, although its more like a set of notes and i do apologise if its got a bit confusing!

if anyone actually read all of this, YOUR A LEGEND :P!

and i do have a question of my own to tender to people who sat the paper before, are post-it notes permitted as part of annotation? because that would be a huge help!

ReputationRep:
    oh...theres more from me (:

i was just packing up my materials for the night (as i have a freaking awesome revision weekend of politics, politics and more politics set out!) and i came across a resource i thought might be of help to you.

ENB5 audiences to write for
    children 7-11 --> N/A
    children 9-13 --> N/A
    children 11-15 --> N/A
    GCSE students --> PENDLE
    school and college leavers --> PENDLE
    young adults --> PENDLE
    museum, theatre, attraction visitors --> PENDLE
    passengers, travellers --> PENDLE (not so much but if it had to fall into one i'd say pendle due to potential travel locations of any museum etc)
    adult beginners --> DYSLEXIA
    parents --> DYSLEXIA
    parents, family, relatives, friends --> DYSLEXIA
    general public --> DYSLEXIA

just some notes on my opinions..

from gcse to young adults i reckon pendle due to potential of educational value due to history syllabuses in schools etc.

i've put N/A next to all the young children ones, because i dont see them as an audience they would use, they 100% can't for Dyslexia in my opinion, but if they are stupidly cruel i guess they could ask for a school wall display on the pendle witch for like a local school cos its quite famous/infamous in lanchashire (sp?) from what i've read etc. also theres loads of character orientation which children might use to associate the subject with.

please provide your own views, or (hopefully) agree and reassure me :P (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisholland27)
    hey there guys! long time reader, first time poster here. i personally want to put my hands up and admit that i haven't completed a single editorial writing text yet or for that matter even attempted a commentary, however i have a few tips and hints for this exam, some which may have been previously mentioned, some which you may not choose to follow given my lack of "hands on" experience and also my status of a new member on here.
    firstly i would like to say, from what my teahcers have said, the tone and sticking to the question is the most important thing here, i know we're supposed to get to around 1000 words here, but seriously, no examiner is going to sit there and count those, especially if you have the QUALITY.
    i would like to bring your attention at this point to what i consider the most important resource on both sets. this is not any of the texts, but instead the list of sources provided at the end of each set. these give a HUGE clue to what the paper is likely to be on, and help narrow down the possibilities.
    the pendle witches draws a HUGE comparison with the 2005 "grace darling pack" & i would highly recommend reading this resource and the questions & answer scheme.

the pendle witches uses little graphology compared to grace darling and other past papers, and this is a big indication of the fact it is not going to be aimed at young children as the graphological features are so key to a texts interaction with a young child.
    the vast text would imply that it is going to be a radio transcript, but good-luck to anyone doing that, because i for one wouldn't know how to set that out in terms of the fact radio shows have live phone-ins etc. that said Grace darling used radio 4, and that was only a short while ago...
    with this in mind, i again draw your attention to the acknowledgement of sources...the sources show that there is a mention about "a walk" and a "trail" this to me suggests a leaflet as it would provide background to any tourists walking around the area.
    Also, through my research i have found out there is a "pendle heritage centre" and to me this suggests that a local museum would be likely to place this at the centrepiece of any public display, especially considering the events of pendle witches occured nearly 400 years ago).

so anyway, back to the point USE THE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF SOURCES TO HELP IDENTIFY OR NARROW DOWN THE OPTIONS OF THE QUESTION!

oh also!! i've just realised a potential link for audience if its not a radio audience and its not a musuem, CONSIDERING THE FACT WE'VE SPENT 9 MONTHS WORKING ON UNIT 6 AND LANGUAGE CHANGE, wouldn't it be so apt for the audience to potentially be young adults of our age?!

...i've just probably broke the record for the longest first post ever by the way...

but i've got more

in terms of the dyslexia text, it almost seems too good to be true. i mean pendle requires a lot of background knowledge whereas in dyslexia you could do no reading and just work with what you do have on the day.
    so while in essence it could be a dream come true, it is more likely that the examiners will have set something with a twist, for example a web doctor info page. especially considering in society today, most of us use the internet as first point of call for things.
    i really reckon it will be important to research for more than the parent, because the text provides both texts that seem more complexed and those that seem more simplified i.e. memory games for a child.

due to my poor exam prep and the fact i have had all my main exams from the time of the pre release to just before and after it, i'm not going to actually stress myself out about deconstruction of the texts until monday or the tuesday morning. theres no point really, you can only do so much. i think my advice would be that at the end of the day if you can PREPARE FOR 4 POTENTIAL QUESTIONS (FOR BOTH SETS) THAT MAY ARISE that way one of them is going to come up for definate or at least a variation of it, so you should be totally fine for your options come exam day

i would like to finish this comment by passing on some advice my teacher gave me, she told me "kris, you should bring out your individiality in the unit 5 work, because as long as its within the confines of the question it will gain you credit, i can tell you, as an exam marker there is nothing more dull than an essay that is exactly the same as the last one, and the one before." that is particularly prominent to me because that was one of the last things the teacher said to me, this is down to the fact she had a medical condition that led to her having a lot of time off, and then a little less than two months ago we were informed that she had passed away.

so yeah i think that what she said is very important and good advice that we can all take something from

right, its stupidly late now, and i'm almost finished, obviously i hope most of all this research and observation by myself will help everyone out, although its more like a set of notes and i do apologise if its got a bit confusing!

and i do have a question of my own to tender to people who sat the paper before, are post-it notes permitted as part of annotation? because that would be a huge help!
    Good work! I wish i could think as clearly as you!
    Definetley agree with the Grace Darling link, i thought that too, ended up doing the textbook questions for that in a practise and did well so i may read mark scheme!
    I disagree, howver, with you saying they are unlikely to use pendle for a children's text. there is a lot of complex/adult lexis and the exam is based upon changing the way the information is written so i think this is actually quite a likely question.

You are not allowed to use post-its or any other extra bits of paper (but apparently you can draw tables and things ..i was told you can't by teacher but you never know..apparently they don't really check our texts or anything in the exam..sounds likely)

ReputationRep:
    I've just realsied how completely unnecessary it was to re-post the whole of that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisholland27)

but i've got more

Honestly here, I think I love you.

No seriously, let's elope.

ReputationRep:
    Because of how my exams have been set out, i wont have too much time as i gotta revise other subjects. Reckon it would be alright to focus just on one pack?
    Advice please....anyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Introspectre)
    You, my dear, are a legend! QI and Bristol, marvellous!
    I actually went to a recording last month - it was amaaazing. The studio is much tinier than it looks on TV and I spent most of the three hours freaking out about how I was a mere few feet away from Stephen and Alan! They both seem every bit as lovely and amusing in real life. Stephen is an absolute giant though - apparently he's 6'5", but he looked at least 7 ft to me!! Look out for the Fight & Flight themed episode...Alan in flying gear was very cute. If we both get into Bristol, we should set up a Quite Interesting society!

...I should probably focus on actually getting there first though - back to ENB5, I think! Wow krisholland, that's the most amazingly useful and comprehensive first post I've ever seen - thank you! I suppose I should prepare both packs since everyone else seems to be... at least then I'll have a choice of 4 questions, and I think everyone is right about the the dyslexia one having potentially awful questions due to it being so straightforward. I can't wait til this exam is over!

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else only get the material yesterday?
    For month and months our teachers have been saying we only get 3 days to go through it which would mean it was only available from yesterday, but as soon as I collected it I saw that it's been out since Tuesday.
    I'm not particularly bothered as I've had other exams to revise for, but I know a lot of people in my class would have really found the extra few days beneficial.
    I just think it's quite irresponsible of the school to not let us know if they did infact receive them on Tuesday, given that we've now got only a couple of days to prepare.
    Also, does anyone know of anyone who hasn't collected the material yet?
    I know someone in my class forgot so now they won't get it til Monday afternoon (RS Synoptic in the morning eugh) so I feel kind of bad for them considering how big a deal they've made of all the exams.
    As a little sub question, what was everyone hoping for in the pre-release? I'd convinced myself it was going to be Riverdance and was actually rather disappointed when it turned out it wasn't.
    I've been to Pendle and the museum though so I'm kind of leaning towards that one.
    I'll have a go at annotating both though just incase the Pendle question is horrid.

Last thing I promise. Isn't it great you can have Trebuchet MS as your font for posts? I love that font. I'm really not as sad as I sound...

ReputationRep:
    This may be a stupid question buuut...when writing a pendle witch text are you going to call them The Davies family or the Devices (Davies may show how you have interpreted older texts, but Device more inkeeping) ..i hope someone knows what im talking about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkatherine)
    This may be a stupid question buuut...when writing a pendle witch text are you going to call them The Davies family or the Devices (Davies may show how you have interpreted older texts, but Device more inkeeping) ..i hope someone knows what im talking about!
    I thought it was Device? Cos thats in most of the texts?

ReputationRep:
    Yup but they interpret it in one of the texts as saying the surname was probably Davies and Thomas Potts wrote it incorrectly. Ohh it probably reeeally doesn't matter anyway"

ReputationRep:
    How is anyone actually tackling this?

I've read them through and higlighted the most important parts etc but other than that I'm a bit stuck.

Any ideas?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2008

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.