The Student Room Group

The Official Tips for Surviving Medical School Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gozatron
Do we need to keep notes?

For the past two years I've been taking notes and binning them after lessons or allowing them to pile up in some dusty corner on my room. I assume this doesnt happen at med school?

I prefer re-coping out notes from textbook to revise but if information in lectures can't be found anywhere else then I better get organised...

I'm exactly like you but pretty much all uni's they put a copy of the lecture online. Notes are for people that love writing and i hate writing.
Reply 221
Original post by gozatron
Do we need to keep notes?

For the past two years I've been taking notes and binning them after lessons or allowing them to pile up in some dusty corner on my room. I assume this doesnt happen at med school?

I prefer re-coping out notes from textbook to revise but if information in lectures can't be found anywhere else then I better get organised...

I'd say that making good notes is one of the cornerstones of a successful medical school career!

More often than not, I recommend students to collate lecture notes and textbooks into 1 set of handwritten notes.
Original post by RollerBall
If all you do is browse the web and use word, then yeah. Most machines from 2005 will do that.

You said earlier yourself your laptop is a pain to lug around, so you don't. Most of the time you will be moving your laptop I'll have moved my desktop with just as much ease albeit with slightly more space constraints. Moving in and out of accommodation, give me a break. Unless you drive a fiat panda you have no problem fitting a desktop in your car along with your other belongings. I'm willing to bet I have some of the bulkiest stuff/fragile things to store in a car than most students and I've had no issue. Unless you're an international you're not going to be going on the train to move accommodation either. Laptops are more expensive, have worse performance, produce more heat, require more general maintenance, have less screen estate than the average desktop AND can be louder.

The majority of desktops will out live laptops due to most users skipping out the general maintenance point from above.

There is an extremely niche market for a "high end laptop". The battery life on them sucks, they pump out masses of heat, draw loads of power and sounds like they're about to take off.

If all you do is word process and browse the web, sure, pick up a £250 lappy. Anything else, desktop, desktop, desktop. Mine is a bad example since I've got a large heavy case. However, HTPC size cases with similar specs to mine which will destroy laptops while being easy to move about.

Using a laptop as a desktop is stupid. If you want to use a laptop, get an ultra portable and actually use it like it's supposed to be used. I stand by that a desktop/netbook is the best combination.

High End Laptops which can easily compete against high end (NON-Gaming desktops) can be purchased for less than 1K with i7 processors, 4gb ram, and 1gb gfx cards.

What more could you want?
Original post by carcinoma
High End Laptops which can easily compete against high end (NON-Gaming desktops) can be purchased for less than 1K with i7 processors, 4gb ram, and 1gb gfx cards.

What more could you want?

That's an unfair comparison. If a laptop has a 1gb dedicated graphics card then it is a gaming laptop. You can't compare a 1k gaming laptop to a 1k non gaming desktop.

That's like saying my Desktop is better than a £300 laptop from down PC world. Well no ****.
(edited 12 years ago)
That's an unfair comparison. If a laptop has a 1gb dedicated graphics card then it is a gaming laptop. You can't compare a 1k gaming laptop to a 1k non gaming desktop.

That's like saying my Desktop is better than a £300 laptop from down PC world. Well no ****.

Yes and No, it does depend on the card too an ATI HD card doesn't even touch a GT.

In that case for £700 you can get a High end non gaming laptop with a dedicated gfx, which can compete with most desktops in a similar price range. Yes a 15-17" screen can't compare to a 22, and that is where laptops will always loose.
Yes and No, it does depend on the card too an ATI HD card doesn't even touch a GT.

In that case for £700 you can get a High end non gaming laptop with a dedicated gfx, which can compete with most desktops in a similar price range. Yes a 15-17" screen can't compare to a 22, and that is where laptops will always lose.

Sorry, what? At the first statement.

For £700 you can not get a high end gaming laptop which can compete with the desktop of that range. In fact, I challenge you to find me a £700 gaming lappy that will compete with a £700 gaming computer.
Sorry, what? At the first statement.

For £700 you can not get a high end gaming laptop which can compete with the desktop of that range. In fact, I challenge you to find me a £700 gaming lappy that will compete with a £700 gaming computer.

Had to go for £899 to get a match, there wasn't a 700 alienware desktop available but i think they would match for the price. My laptop was £700 and matches the specs of an alienware laptop but its not a gamig laptop.

Done! AlienWare M11X laptop £899 - i5 with 1gb gfx + 2gb ram + 500gb Vs Alienware Aura @ £899 - i5, 1gb gfx + 3gb ram + 500gb

Same price almost identical spec other than the ram.
Had to go for £899 to get a match, there wasn't a 700 alienware desktop available but i think they would match for the price. My laptop was £700 and matches the specs of an alienware laptop but its not a gamig laptop.

Done! AlienWare M11X laptop £899 - i5 with 1gb gfx + 2gb ram + 500gb Vs Alienware Aura @ £899 - i5, 1gb gfx + 3gb ram + 500gb

Same price almost identical spec other than the ram.

What are the models of the GPUs? No 1GB card models are made equal.
Reply 228
*subscribes*
What are the models of the GPUs? No 1GB card models are made equal.

That was my point with this "Yes and No, it does depend on the card too an ATI HD card doesn't even touch a GT."

They are roughly equal, they are within 1% of each other on 3DMark
I'm getting the feeling we're going slightly off topic here...
Original post by RyuHADOUKEN
I'm getting the feeling we're going slightly off topic here...

Maybe :tongue:

Ask something medicine related, so we can fix it.
That was my point with this "Yes and No, it does depend on the card too an ATI HD card doesn't even touch a GT."

They are roughly equal, they are within 1% of each other on 3DMark

What are the models of the cards.

And yes, I fear we are getting off topic but you've skirted around the question for quite some time.

I won't bring the "you can build for cheaper" argument into it because the vast majority of students unfortunately won't consider it (however easy it may be). However, I'm willing to bet the mobile chipset of X GPU in the lappy is not up to the scratch of the one in the desktop.

I can't tell however with the models. Just saying it's a AMD card or a Nvid card doesn't really tell me much, nor does GT. The nomenclature of Nvid cards changed quite some generations ago with the GT not being around anymore. They now go for number differences in the same generation. While it would have got 8600GT/8800GT/8800GTS/8800GTX it now goes GTX560, GTX570, GTX580, GTX590 for example. The only exception to this generation is the GTX 560 Ti.

This is all speculation though, I can't say **** without knowing what card is what. Saying a AMD HD generation card doesn't even touch a GT is ludacris, though. There are countless examples in past generations where the AMD counterpart has kept up with or beaten the Nvidea counterpart in that price range. There have been times when AMD has had the fastest card and where Nvidea has. Take this generation for example. The two "mid range" flagship cards are nigh on identical performance. They differ in some games by a few FPS and that is the only deciding factor when choosing between the 6970 and the GTX570, what games you play and which one you can find for cheaper. Despite them both being very similarly priced. Certain manufacturers are selling cheaper though, deals etc.
What are the models of the cards.

GT555M and Radeon 5830

The desktop card is actually better, but not to a level you would notice on most games.
GT555M and Radeon 5830

The desktop card is actually better, but not to a level you would notice on most games.

I disagree, I reckon you'd notice a difference. Personal opinion though, I looked up some benchmarks of both cards. Neither I'd consider playable but the latter I would deal with. I will concede laptops have made some headway since I looked.

I'm more shocked alien-ware is trying to charge almost a grand for that PC. I feel for gamers who don't build :frown:. No wonder PC gaming gets a bad rep.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 235
I shall just throw a random qn to gear the discussion to its relevant title.

How do u guys survive NOT going out for drinks and pubs occasionally? Personally, i'm not a fan of clubs, nor drinking almost every alternative night. Hope that my preference won't be interpreted as being a 'boring' person!

do u still go hang out with ur friends at the club late night, just that u end up drinking... fruit juice??? It gets quite pointless staying out at the clubs through the night when ur friends are all pissed drunk on the dance floor.
Reply 236
Original post by Bosty

How do u guys survive NOT going out for drinks and pubs occasionally? Personally, i'm not a fan of clubs, nor drinking almost every alternative night. Hope that my preference won't be interpreted as being a 'boring' person!

do u still go hang out with ur friends at the club late night, just that u end up drinking... fruit juice??? It gets quite pointless staying out at the clubs through the night when ur friends are all pissed drunk on the dance floor.

It's really not as big a deal as you think it might be. Freshers' Week will be full of drinking and going out, but once things settle down, there is no compulsion to have to do either. If you spend time trying to get to know people and getting involved in things, rather than worrying about how they'll perceive you if you don't drink etc, you'll have a much better time!
Reply 237
No wonder PC gaming gets a bad rep.

Nowhere near as bad as Mac gaming. :awesome:
Reply 238
Original post by Beska
Nowhere near as bad as Mac gaming. :awesome:

It's not sooo bad! :P ...well generally it is. Mine seems to be doing fine using Wine most of the time though, for GW and such. So as long as it works for playing that and Civ I'm happy. :P

Original post by Bosty

I don't think you'll be considered odd if you don't go out much. In my first 3 years in med school I went out, like, 2-3 times in total, maybe. :P There was some improvement in year 4 and much improvement in year 5, I go out nearly once a month now (amagawd!!! :O). Well, some times we end up being too tired to go out so we just have girly sleepovers (how mature, I know :P we give each other make-overs and everything!). :P
As another random question,

Will we need to bring/buy anything before we go (apart from books which Im going to borrow from libraries), like do we need labcoats or stethoscopes && the like??

xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending