Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluelou)
    no but surely it was putting 1200 to show what percentage of it is plasma??
    so 700 out of 1200?
    and then you apply that on a smaller scale to the 125?

it wasnt asking for the blood though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pur-Rulz)
    Hello! :p:

I wish, but I'd be lucky to scrape the BBB I'm targetted to get (although for two subjects that was just because last year's Chemistry/Biology papers were awful. Fingers crossed that the resits can bump it up again!).

But most of the questions seemed to be more about applying the knowledge you had in indirect ways. For example, looking at the last question on Photosysthesis, the black carded tube was your average control question, this time for when there wasn't any light present. And the green light question was simply about how relatively little of it was taken up, which lead to a build up of reduced NADP (due to the Calvin Cycle having no energy to oxidise it again). Since reduced NADP is actually NADPH + H+, the indicator picks up on it, and the colour changes to show that the pH is decreasing.

Probably wrong though, knowing my luck.
    Oh okay, I thought I knew who you were >.<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babysardine)
    Yeah, I said that too for the next part - Why does it stop/slow at high temperatures or summit...? I said proteins change shape - so channel proteins change meaning ions can't get through :confused:

I might complain to the exam board as most of that was not on spec.
    It is synoptic, so I could be from any past paper. Also, if you recall when we did membranes, if you heat them up too much, they gain too much kinetic energy and then the membrane ruptures.

I was annoyed there was no "Explain how an action potential travels down an nerve" for seven marks, as that would have made me feel a lot happier.

Stoopid Seal.

ReputationRep:
    Hello! :p:

I wish, but I'd be lucky to scrape the BBB I'm targetted to get (although for two subjects that was just because last year's Chemistry/Biology papers were awful. Fingers crossed that the resits can bump it up again!).

But most of the questions seemed to be more about applying the knowledge you had in indirect ways. For example, looking at the last question on Photosysthesis, the black carded tube was your average control question, this time for when there wasn't any light present. And the green light question was simply about how relatively little of it was taken up, which lead to a build up of reduced NADP (due to the Calvin Cycle having no energy to oxidise it again). Since reduced NADP is actually NADPH + H+, the indicator picks up on it, and the colour changes to show that the pH is decreasing.

Probably wrong though, knowing my luck.
    yepa i put the same on hydrogen ions.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who thought that it was a kind exam? Only first page, limiting factors and kidneys were kinda annoying.

ReputationRep:
    For the green light question I put this basically, is it right?:

Chloroplasts reflect green light, therefore no light absorbed, no electrons excited, no photosynthesis, no CO2 taken in, therefore a higher concentration of CO2 in the solution, therefore lower pH, and the colour is then yellowey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    Sure you did. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toneh)
    I started talking about physics for some of that
    Best part of the exam, haha/
    I just wrote at high temps particles have more kinetic energy, hence sodium ions diffuse along axon fast so faster transmission.

Then denaturing protein stuff for second part.

ReputationRep:
    According to my teacher, the OCR lot always keep the grade boudaries at 80,70,60 etc. :bawling: Any of you guys think that's right??

ReputationRep:
    I put ciliated epithelium and that phospholipid bilayer on the membrane of the axon becomes leaky :

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    Oh, right. I'm a bit of a loner, so I'd doubt it quite a bit. XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InvoluntarySlacker)
    Sure you did. :rolleyes:
    sorry, what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    1200 blood plasma
    700 urine thing
    125 filtra

700-125/700 x 125 = 82%
    100-82 = 18ish.
    Lol thats what I meant I just wasn't being too specific, I got 17.9%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kulpio)
    For the green light question I put this basically, is it right?:

Chloroplasts reflect green light, therefore no light absorbed, no electrons excited, no photosynthesis, no CO2 taken in, therefore a higher concentration of CO2 in the solution, therefore lower pH, and the colour is then yellowey
    It was to do with hydrogen ion build-up.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, right. I'm a bit of a loner, so I'd doubt it quite a bit. XD
    It's just that you type in the exact same way, and she uses the "xD" smiley a looooot. And she'd be the type to join TSR :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inzamam99)
    According to my teacher, the OCR lot always keep the grade boudaries at 80,70,60 etc. :bawling: Any of you guys think that's right??
    Sounds about right.

There's no way I got 80%. :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    It was to do with hydrogen ion build-up.

H+ from where??

ReputationRep:
    I hated that exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by powwow91)
    Did anyone else just write that the seal probably just had more enzymes for glycolysis and more lactate dehydrogenase enzymes so that Glycolysis was fast enough to sustain it? :confused:
    Yeah I wrote about that and about 10 other bullet points to play it safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LearningMath)
    I just wrote at high temps particles have more kinetic energy, hence sodium ions diffuse along axon fast so faster transmission.

Then denaturing protein stuff for second part.
    yer that's what i did.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 7, 2016

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.