Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics Society - Chat Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Friday 15th October 2010
    Thanks .

ReputationRep:
    In response to earlier speculation, I am pleased to announce that I aten't dead. I've simply been too busy trying to kill my liver to have much time for the internet.

In response to the question about movie posters, I maintain that Cloverfield has one of the best posters ever conceived. There are so many hidden elements in it, not to mention a truly striking image.

Phalanges. :gah:

Where were you ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    In response to earlier speculation, I am pleased to announce that I aten't dead. I've simply been too busy trying to kill my liver to have much time for the internet.

In response to the question about movie posters, I maintain that Cloverfield has one of the best posters ever conceived. There are so many hidden elements in it, not to mention a truly striking image.
    This?

I guess I don't know enough about the film to see why it's so good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    This?
    I guess I don't know enough about the film to see why it's so good.
    Yeah. For a start it's a very brave poster campaign - there is one variant which purely had the release date on it and nothing else, not even the name of the film, which is pretty amazing considering it's almost mandatory now for every poster to be billed with at least the list of actors.

Then you've got the imagery which just the pictures evoke; the symbol of America, and of freedom and civilisation to a lot of people, has had it's head literally ripped off - and much like with headless chicken, you can assume this means that pure chaos is going to ensue.

Then you've got the myriad clues which it reveals about the film, even though at first glance the poster shows you almost nothing. The ripples on the water suggest the monster is amphibious. The greater damage to the base of buildings suggest it is of a low stature. The three gouges in the buildings suggest it has three claws. There are military helicopters visible. There are a lot of hidden faces in the poster (and even more if you start reflecting it etc.).

It's a poster which tells you almost nothing, and yet if you delve deeper tells you a lot about the film. Plus I really love the tagline and it's use of "some thing".

Other posters I can think of from the top of my head are:

Lord Of War

The Phantom Menace

Identity

The Hurt Locker

Inglourious Basterds
    [IMG]http://www.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Inglorious_*******s_/inglourious_basterds_movie_poste r_01.jpg[/IMG]

But there's hundreds more. Some posters are truly works of art.

(Original post by S-man10)
    Where were you ffs.
    Freshers aren't going to drink by themselves. :p:

ReputationRep:
    AMAZING Phantom Menace poster. Possible future sig I'm thinking!

Day After Tomorrow

The Phantom Menace
    That one is awesome.

this tbh

ReputationRep:

:pierre:

ReputationRep:
    Idk when I see the Phantom Menace one I think 'Yet more subtlety from Lucas...'

ReputationRep:
    For all iPhone/iPod touch users, the London Film Festival app is absolutely brilliant, and it's free too. I think I may just have to go to a lot of screenings, even if it's on my own. One film that caught my attention was 127 Hours. I love survival movies.

Interesting... The Social Network has broke into the IMDB Top 250 with a rating of 8.1 from about 8000 votes....

ReputationRep:
    Haha I was thinking about that earlier, I don't trust IMDB rankings until a good year after it has been released. Once people gain a bit of objectivity.

The Phantom Menace
    :adore: This actually gave me the chills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    :adore: This actually gave me the chills.
    (Original post by aja89)
    AMAZING Phantom Menace poster. Possible future sig I'm thinking!
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    That one is awesome.
    The best thing about the movie, probably (aside from the Podracing, which is just so cool).

Currently in my room I have the following posters:

Rocky

Gladiator

American Beauty

Return of the King

Pulp Fiction

Could do with getting some new ones.

(Original post by Roobsa)
    One film that caught my attention was 127 Hours. I love survival movies.
    Can't wait to see that film, it looks immense.

(Original post by Seanisonfire)
    Idk when I see the Phantom Menace one I think 'Yet more subtlety from Lucas...'
    I disagree - it's not as if it was particularly a secret or subtle before the film came out, and it's far better to reference it like that than have a huge charade of pretence when everyone in the audience already knows how it's going to play out. I think it's a perfect marriage of referencing the existing canon while bringing in the new.

I've never watched Pulp Fiction. :awesome:

Don't crucify me. :nooo:

ReputationRep:
    Tarantinoes (that I've seen) in order of goodness:

Reservoir Dogs
    Pulp Fiction
    Kill Bill: Vol. 1
    Kill Bill: Vol. 2
    Jackie Brown
    Inglourious Basterds

So Pulp Fiction is definitely worth seeing but not entirely worth all the eulogising it gets tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Reservoir Dogs
    Pulp Fiction
    Kill Bill 1
    Kill Bill 2
    Inglourious Basterds
    Jackie Brown
    Death Proof

But they're all different slices of awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhh and I saw Dog Day Afternoon last night, ******* great. I love those cynical and angry 70s American films.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.