Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eurovision Song Contest 2011 Society Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milky Milk)
    What are you doing, Sky+ing it? :lolwut:

Like you said, we all have different opinions and myself and others are expressing them just the same way as you. In fact you're being a bit of a hypocrite for trying to claim that those against Azerbijan shouldn't be expressing their dislike, yet you're doing the same thing.

You can't get vexxed and try and put on a 'we all have our own opinions' peace front when you're clearly just pissed that some don't like the that Azerbijan won - who you clearly are happy with winning. People have different opinions - so just accept it.
    What do you mean by that?

I listed the countries to let you know that the majority of europe liked them.

I am accepting all opinions. I found last years winning song horrible, but I still accepted it because that was chosen by the majority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoCStormtrooper)
    isn't it brilliant that the European popularity contest was won by an Asian nation?
    They are not asian. stop saying nonsense. Az-n is located partially in Europe and partially in asia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ButterflyWishes)
    swedens entry :drool:
    damn :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizzzle)
    I'm not surprised, everything about him was perfection.
    Particularly his legs, facial hair, eyes and smile.
    :adore:
    It was :coma:

And so was the Italian guy....

(Original post by fidan134)
      They are not asian. stop saying nonsense. Az-n is located partially in Europe and partially in asia.
      So Asian....

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by fidan134)
      I thought the border of Europe was in turkey? And Az-n is east of that.... And anyway, nice contradiction there... :P

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lizzzle)
      Whatever the name of the guy who sang for Greece is,
      he's seriously hot.
      Agree wholeheartedly, he was yummy. Singing in Greek made him even awesomer.

ReputationRep:
      Eurovision is not defined by land mass or continent boundaries:

"Eligible participants include Active Members (as opposed to Associate Members) of the EBU. Active members are those whose states fall within the European Broadcasting Area, or otherwise those who are members of the Council of Europe"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Broadcasting_Area

This is how participation in Eurovision is defined. It has nothing to do with the EU or the European continent. Now stop arguing about it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Shadowplay)
      Agree wholeheartedly, he was yummy. Singing in Greek made him even awesomer.
      I think we should just make our own Loukas appreciation society :mmm:

ReputationRep:
      fair enough. Several countries geographically outside the boundaries of Europe have competed: Israel, Cyprus, Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan in Western Asia.

I have no doubt that they were allowed to enter (after all, they did win). I was just saying that an Asian country won a European popularity contest, and that I thought it was funny.

ReputationRep:
      Cyrpus is a european country......it's the south-most country in Europe, but it's still european.

ReputationRep:
      For people still arguing, these countries can take part in the Eurovision contest

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SoCStormtrooper)
      fair enough. Several countries geographically outside the boundaries of Europe have competed: Israel, Cyprus, Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan in Western Asia.

I have no doubt that they were allowed to enter (after all, they did win). I was just saying that an Asian country won a European popularity contest, and that I thought it was funny.
      Imagine if Israel wins the European Championships

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jakemittle)
      Imagine if Israel wins the European Championships
      ahahaha yeah that WOULD be funny. unlikely though...

Anyway my point wasn't that they were ineligible to compete, I was just saying that they are, technically, Asian, at least in some part. Jeez!

(Original post by jakemittle)
        For people still arguing, these countries can take part in the Eurovision contest

French Guiana :rofl:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by LadyRowena)
        I'm surprised at how badly France did; they were the bookies' favourite to win. I guess Eurovision isn't ready to move away from pop yet. I was impressed at how well the Italian jazz pianist did, though; he was talented.
        I know! there was a bookies odds of 1/10 that France would get in the top ten as he was tipped to win it so if you put a bet of £5000 you would get £5500 in return. I thought it was a sure fire way to make £500! I feel sorry for any one with the unfortunate brain wave I had AND put down the bet!

(Original post by :)...)
          ...is an overseas region of France
          Yes, I know. I just found it funny a small area in south america could enter.

ReputationRep:
          They're further east than Iraq, shall we include them in the song contest too?
          Iraq are already eligible to enter the contest.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant they are eligible to become an EBU member, and THEN enter the contest.

ReputationRep:
          just realised i should of been on during the show!

i found the winning song ok, though not happy azerbaijan winning it as tbh they have had a terrible attitude to the whole contest in previous years:mad:

and gutted that estonia and hungary did so badly! though the success of slovenia (though only 13th) made up for it!

ReputationRep:

They're more Asian than European...
          They're further east than Iraq, shall we include them in the song contest too?

Yes, but so is Russia. Russia is mostly situated in Asia but no-one complains about that. If you accept Russia that is majorly in Asia, then you should accept Azerbaijan which is located on the same level as European part of Russia.

Anyway, Azerbaijan is always participating in European competitions, in European football championship and other sport and cultural events.

If the organizers of these events invite Azerbaijan then there is a reason for it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.