Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    You and Liverpool always whining about Chelsea's sugar daddy, maybe if you didn't waste money on average players like Giroud, Park Choo Young, Andy Carroll and bought genuine WORLD-CLASS players you wouldn't be in the position you are. I swear you've been talking about you're academy coming through with huge talent, the ironic thing is look at the youngsters we produce at United- Cleverley, Welbeck etc. Now Jam tells it like it is you're about to cry- that's why you'll never win anything with you're current mentality- that is to secure top 4 foorball and get past the group stages of CL, and apparently Chelsea are the ''Mickey mouse cup holders" even though they are the ones representing us, Britain, on the European stage and they are the ones with silverware in their trophy cabinet at the end of the day.
    I don't want to get drawn into a debate about this, I have work to do, but the bolded bit I disagree with.

Arsenal haven't been able to afford world class players in the past 10 years, not without selling. Look at our net spend since 2003, it's -£15m, compared to our rivals that have spent hundreds of millions in the same time on transfers. Like every team we've bought some duds, the difference between us and Chelsea (and United, for that matter) is that they've been able to spend their way out of trouble and buy more expensive players. Arsenal can't do that, they can't just absorb the contract of a dud, let the player rot for a few years and buy more players, only for one or two of them to join the pile of carcasses amassing behind the scenes. Arsenal have had to run a tight ship to keep afloat. Going out and buying, say, Falcao for £40m would be ambitous, yes. He is world class. He also would need big wages. Arsenal can't afford all of that, or certainly haven't been in a position to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fifa13 wagers)
    Hey fellow arsenal fans, any of you that play fifa 13 ultimate team check my thread out here, cheers.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post42655697
    Wow people are getting really inventive in making up ways to scam people out of their ultimate team coins :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Lol the cluelessness of you lot amazes me:yy:. Jam is spot on because we did improve due to the rise of Chelsea... If we won the league, or if anyone wins the league by 20 points they aren't gonna go out and buy a ton of players cos they obviously don't need to. Chelsea winning the league a few times meant that SAF had to strengthen his squad, which he did with the likes of Tevez and Berbatov. This in turn lead to other clubs having to strengthen to keep up with everyone else, a knock-on effect, just look how close the PL is (at the bottom obviously) which shows the difference between a relegated club and a mid-table club is pretty marginal. This is due to increased competition, which was as a result of more clubs coming into it. And i don't hate Chelsea, they're one of my favourite clubs as they play exciting foorball.

Don't care if you neg me butt-hurt Arsenal fans, don't whine about other clubs paying too much for players as you could do the exact same thing. Also the fans that booed RVP are a disgrace, if you were offered a promotion with a pay-rise away from a organisation you had worked for for 8/9 years are you saying you wouldn't move? We don't boo CR7, and RVP showed you the ultimate respect and you threw it back in his face. You and Liverpool always whining about Chelsea's sugar daddy, maybe if you didn't waste money on average players like Giroud, Park Choo Young, Andy Carroll and bought genuine WORLD-CLASS players you wouldn't be in the position you are. I swear you've been talking about you're academy coming through with huge talent, the ironic thing is look at the youngsters we produce at United- Cleverley, Welbeck etc. Now Jam tells it like it is you're about to cry- that's why you'll never win anything with you're current mentality- that is to secure top 4 foorball and get past the group stages of CL, and apparently Chelsea are the ''Mickey mouse cup holders" even though they are the ones representing us, Britain, on the European stage and they are the ones with silverware in their trophy cabinet at the end of the day.

Like i said, neg me all you want i don't care, look at my rep bar anyway.
    You sir, are an idiot. The only and i mean ONLY reason for why utd fans don't boo ronaldo is because he went to a different league... Let me give you examples.... Thierry Henry THE KING wasn't boo'd. Cesc fabregas wasn't boo'd even though he basically forced a move to barca.

Yeah, err disgrace what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    I don't want to get drawn into a debate about this, I have work to do, but the bolded bit I disagree with.

Arsenal haven't been able to afford world class players in the past 10 years, not without selling. Look at our net spend since 2003, it's -£15m, compared to our rivals that have spent hundreds of millions in the same time on transfers. Like every team we've bought some duds, the difference between us and Chelsea (and United, for that matter) is that they've been able to spend their way out of trouble and buy more expensive players. Arsenal can't do that, they can't just absorb the contract of a dud, let the player rot for a few years and buy more players, only for one or two of them to join the pile of carcasses amassing behind the scenes. Arsenal have had to run a tight ship to keep afloat.
    Seriously can we just leave this and talk about something else. Agree to disagree because it's annoying. Like I won't criticize arsenal on this thread because obviously people can't take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Seriously can we just leave this and talk about something else. Agree to disagree because it's annoying. Like I won't criticize arsenal on this thread because obviously people can't take it.
    Most the stuff you've said about arsenal is true. But most of what people have said about chelsea is true as well. So we need to just accept that both clubs have flaws and move on to another topic.

ReputationRep:
    What makes you think that we have to take it? Its an Arsenal thread, so just accept that noone is going to come running to take your back however valid your point maybe although the chances of that ever happening seem very slim.

ReputationRep:
    Also the fans that booed RVP are a disgrace, if you were offered a promotion with a pay-rise away from a organisation you had worked for for 8/9 years are you saying you wouldn't move? We don't boo CR7, and RVP showed you the ultimate respect and you threw it back in his face.
    That's funny coming from a United Fan, Rooney was getting booed at the Swansea game and at the open top bus parade

and apparently Chelsea are the ''Mickey mouse cup holders" even though they are the ones representing us, Britain, on the European stage and they are the ones with silverware in their trophy cabinet at the end of the day..
    Only 3 English players started in the Europa league final, that doesn't sound like representing Great Britain. That's another problem with Chelsea, a lack of English talent, Bertrand is the only person that comes to mind but he hardly gets a look in as it is. McEachran and Chalobah look like they have decent potential but why would Chelsea give them a chance in the first 11 when they can afford to buy a better foreigner. Chelsea and Man city are corrupting English football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    Most the stuff you've said about arsenal is true. But most of what people have said about chelsea is true as well. So we need to just accept that both clubs have flaws and move on to another topic.
    Thank you. I agree with the chelsea criticism btw. There's no such thing as a perfect club, the closest thing is bayern munich and barcelona and they're criticized for their approach and the way they do their transfers(gotze, fabregas spring to mind)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    Wow people are getting really inventive in making up ways to scam people out of their ultimate team coins :rolleyes:
    No mate, i wasn't suggesting you give me your coins before i win the game, and if i lose well then i will give it.. i'm not like that .. its only fifa anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    That's funny coming from a United Fan, Rooney was getting booed at the Swansea game and at the open top bus parade

Only 3 English players started in the Europa league final, that doesn't sound like representing Great Britain. That's another problem with Chelsea, a lack of English talent, Bertrand is the only person that comes to mind but he hardly gets a look in as it is. McEachran and Chalobah look like they have decent potential but why would Chelsea give them a chance in the first 11 when they can afford to buy a better foreigner. Chelsea and Man city are corrupting English football.
    Tell me your english talent that you have put through that still play for your squad.
    Don't bother telling me chamberlain/walcott.
    Wilshere and gibbs and that's it.

ReputationRep:
    Tell me your english talent that you have put through that still play for your squad.
    Why not chamberlain/walcott? Both play for england, both play for club...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fifa13 wagers)
    Why not chamberlain/walcott? Both play for england, both play for club...
    So does ashley cole count for chelsea?
    Chamberlain was already a starter for southampton playing week in week out. Maybe walcott could count(I'll check his gametime) but paying top dollar for a youngster and then getting them to develop at a club is not putting through a player, that would then mean that lukaku came through chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    If every club in the EPL produced players as good as Wilshere/Cole, then England would be as good as Germany.

Chelsea's youth development is non existent and has been for decades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    If every club in the EPL produced players as good as Wilshere/Cole, then England would be as good as Germany.

Chelsea's youth development is non existent and has been for decades.
    Does that even answer my question?
    That was just a dig at chelsea.
    Well we have one of the best english defenders of the past decade.

ReputationRep:
    Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain are still English talent - he made no mention of academy players or 'putting through' as you put it. Besides, Walcott, when he joined Arsenal, was only a year older than Bertrand when he joined Chelsea. Ox was only 17 when he joined, we still developed them to a large extent.

Of course when Arsenal were at their peak they had no English players so I don't think we can complain about Chelsea. Truth is that British grass roots football is terrible compared to continental Europe.

ReputationRep:
    So does ashley cole count for chelsea?
    Chamberlain was already a starter for southampton playing week in week out. Maybe walcott could count(I'll check his gametime) but paying top dollar for a youngster and then getting them to develop at a club is not putting through a player, that would then mean that lukaku came through chelsea.
    Ashley cole cannot count for chelsea, because he learnt his trade and become a very very good left back next to the KING HENRY, and the rest of the BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD - the invincibles. He left at 26. Where as we got chambo when he was 17, nice and young.. and turned his raw talent from southampton, to good (soon to be world class) player from arsenal. Arsenal's coaching turned him into an outstanding player. This enabled him to get an England call up.

Therefore making your point invalid and stupid.

Goodbye

ReputationRep:
    Reckon it'll be 50-50 with the neg rep-pos rep in this post.

Don't waste your time mate this whole thing wasted half my day.
    Exactly man these lot are clueless. I've got C2 anyway tomorrow, don't have time for these muppets. Congratulations on Europa League as well yesterday, respect for keeping Britain in European silverware.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't care if you neg me butt-hurt Arsenal fans, don't whine about other clubs paying too much for players as you could do the exact same thing. Also the fans that booed RVP are a disgrace, if you were offered a promotion with a pay-rise away from a organisation you had worked for for 8/9 years are you saying you wouldn't move? We don't boo CR7, and RVP showed you the ultimate respect and you threw it back in his face. You and Liverpool always whining about Chelsea's sugar daddy, maybe if you didn't waste money on average players like Giroud, Park Choo Young, Andy Carroll and bought genuine WORLD-CLASS players you wouldn't be in the position you are. I swear you've been talking about you're academy coming through with huge talent, the ironic thing is look at the youngsters we produce at United- Cleverley, Welbeck etc. Now Jam tells it like it is you're about to cry- that's why you'll never win anything with you're current mentality- that is to secure top 4 foorball and get past the group stages of CL, and apparently Chelsea are the ''Mickey mouse cup holders" even though they are the ones representing us, Britain, on the European stage and they are the ones with silverware in their trophy cabinet at the end of the day.
    This was genuinely one of stupidest posts Ive ever seen on TSR.

1)Arsenal fans dont hate players because they leave, Thierry Henry got a statue for example and Fabregas is still remembered very fondly. RVP is a hate figure because he forced a transfer to Utd, literally one of the 3 clubs that was unacceptable to Arsenal fans. He did so after his only injury free season in 8 years, and after the club had turned his career around in an unimaginable way, given him and armband and stood by him when other clubs would have put him on the scrapheap. CR7 had clubs lining up to spend 12m on him whereas Feyenoord couldnt find a buyer for RVP at 2.5m. In other words RVP owed Arsenal everything. Add in the classless way he left and the fact he lied to the fans on so many occasions(''I only want to win trophies at Arsenal, I love this club'' :rolleyes:) and his reception is entirely understandable. If Rooney joined Arsenal, then hed be booed just as badly and that transfer wouldnt be half as controversial as RVP's.

2) Cleverley is 24 years old and distinctly average. Welbeck is decent but is he as good as Wilshere? Not to mention players like Ashley Cole and also AOC/Walcott/Gibbs/Jenkinson and from abroad Fabregas/RVP/Szczesny who the club have developed hugely. Nobody could deny that Arsenal are a club that is focused hugely on young players, we always have been.

3) Waste money? Arsene Wenger has spent 20m net since 1996. That's less than all but 2 clubs in the EPL. Naturally hes had some flops, but his transfer record is very impressive overall. The invincibles cost about 25m to put together ffs.

4)The clubs current focus on the CL is a direct result of our decision to build the Emirates, the most expensive club stadium ever, and the natural pressure to pay for it. Long term thinking is what Arsenal are all about, and with new sponsorship deals that increase our revenue to the 4th highest in the World, I think you might see some more short term ambition too.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly man these lot are clueless. I've got C2 anyway tomorrow, don't have time for these muppets. Congratulations on Europa League as well yesterday, respect for keeping Britain in European silverware.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow are you two best friends now? How romantic. Please arrange your first date somewhere else though.

ReputationRep:
    Does that even answer my question?
    That was just a dig at chelsea.
    Well we have one of the best english defenders of the past decade.
    John Terry was poached from West Ham United. At most, you can claim partial credit for him but by the age of 16, a player is very far down the line in terms of development.

Going to claim Frank Lampard as well?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.