Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GandalfWhite)
    Agree with you it is all about preferences. But please bear in mind that while LSE may hv a great rep and excellent academics and definitely the place to go in most circumstances .... you will be giving up a lot if you choose it over Cambridge as LSE doesn't hv much of an university experience. Ok if you are comparing with most universities but not so if you compare with Oxbridge. Just my opinion but I think many will agree.
    No doubt it has a good university experience and is more of a campus etc. Sadly, I have to be in London.

Two years ago I and my bestfriend founded a side business (it's small but the turnover is about 80k a year now). London is just easier for me because most of our meetings, contacts, networking events etc are in London. I would get tired of commuting between London & Cambridge for the random meetings and things we go to and somethings random things come up where I need to be there and it'll just be easier to be within the area.

I took a gap year to work hard on the business and grow it so I knew that when I was going to uni it was in a good place and I'd feel bad leaving it all to go to Cambridge.

London just works better. I'm hoping to keep growing the business as I have done (it'll be a good EC to mention when I eventually apply for my grad schemes too).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAlexis)
    No doubt it has a good university experience and is more of a campus etc. Sadly, I have to be in London.

Two years ago I and my bestfriend founded a side business (it's small but the turnover is about 80k a year now). London is just easier for me because most of our meetings, contacts, networking events etc are in London. I would get tired of commuting between London & Cambridge for the random meetings and things we go to and somethings random things come up where I need to be there and it'll just be easier to be within the area.

I took a gap year to work hard on the business and grow it so I knew that when I was going to uni it was in a good place and I'd feel bad leaving it all to go to Cambridge.

London just works better. I'm hoping to keep growing the business as I have done (it'll be a good EC to mention when I eventually apply for my grad schemes too).
    Well you have compelling reasons to do so. Well done on your entrepreneurial venture.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    Are all economists here looking to go into investment banking by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Holla at cha bwoi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashklins)
    Haven't seen any here as yet. Is it really one of the hardest course to get into?
    Which is harder to get into, Government and Econ, or straight Econ?

ReputationRep:
    I an offer holder rejects the offer, do LSE give the offer to someone else or not? They may give a fixed number of offers and prepare for rejections or they may want to have a certain amount of people who have firmed/insured them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to get an offer from straight econ without getting asked of ums?
    I've heard they ask for ums but I haven't got asked anything from them. I received 8 and 4+2 week emails, now I am in the 2nd week of the 4 week email.
    BTW I am an international applicant if that makes any differences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undisclosed 15)
    I an offer holder rejects the offer, do LSE give the offer to someone else or not? They may give a fixed number of offers and prepare for rejections or they may want to have a certain amount of people who have firmed/insured them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There will be x places for a course. In anticipation of people rejecting/missing their offer, the school will give out x+n offers for admission to said course - n accounting for those who will reject/miss. So to answer your q as to whether or not rejection -> reallocation of an offer, that doesn't happen. It's already accounted for in the amount of offers given out.

ReputationRep:
    If you are an offer holder for economics and intend on firming cambridge and not insuring lse can you please withdraw your application to lse to give the rest of us a better chance of getting in!! Hahaha
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sneakbo2)
    accounting and finance
    Ahhhh no! sorry to hear that! If you don't mind me asking what were your predicted grades and stuff - i have applied for A and F as well and am getting a little anxious if i should prepare for the worst! Thanks Mate and good luck with your other applications

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drcharisma)
    If I may ask you guys, how competitive is the International Relations and History program? Did anybody get in or was rejected from this?
    Offer about a month after applying. My GCSEs were 11 A* 2 A, AS levels 4 A 1 B predicted 4 A*. I was also an Oxbridge applicant. Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The A&F department is taking decades to send out offers. Must be playing with our hearts.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying from Canada, I'm in my first year of uni right now but I want to transfer to LSE for next year. I'm applying with a 3.87 GPA at the moment, and on the Dean's list. Would I make it in for Law? I've had a bunch of work experience, but what's worrying me is that my high school average was not as great as I wanted due to one mark that was skewed (long story short, our teacher broke her hip and the supply was an individual who was not well versed in English or Maths to be fair). Should I even get my hopes up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akj.latif)
    I'm applying from Canada, I'm in my first year of uni right now but I want to transfer to LSE for next year. I'm applying with a 3.87 GPA at the moment, and on the Dean's list. Would I make it in for Law? I've had a bunch of work experience, but what's worrying me is that my high school average was not as great as I wanted due to one mark that was skewed (long story short, our teacher broke her hip and the supply was an individual who was not well versed in English or Maths to be fair). Should I even get my hopes up?
    Universities look at both attainment as well as potential. If attainment has been affected by circumstances and potential can be demonstrated then the past should not be held against you. But bear in mind that LSE is a super competitive university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    Ahhhh no! sorry to hear that! If you don't mind me asking what were your predicted grades and stuff - i have applied for A and F as well and am getting a little anxious if i should prepare for the worst! Thanks Mate and good luck with your other applications
    5a*s rest As at GCSE
    4As at AS level (Maths further maths physics economics)
    Predicted A*AAA

Bare in mind I have two siblings that went to LSE, one did accounting and finance and I wrote my personal statement in a similar structure to hers. And got better AS levels, I just don't understand why I got rejected. But yeah good luck bro looks like Friday was the deadly mass rejection day and since you got past it you have a big chance, looks like Warwick for me now, out of the 4 offers I already have I will probably firm it. Good luck mate God Bless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GandalfWhite)
    Well you have compelling reasons to do so. Well done on your entrepreneurial venture.
    Thank you it's just our little side gig, nothing big but it's our baby of sorts.

ReputationRep:
    If you got to choose between UCL and Warwick for Economics, which one would you go to ?? (I'm really lost, as I am an international student, I can't really get to know the campus or city life ... )

I still haven't heard from LSE, but I don't really think I will get an offer so I'm basically hesitating between these two

ReputationRep:
    Why don't I see a lot of apps for BMS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cappunno18)
    Would you guys choose HSPS at cambridge or Politics at LSE if you had the choice?
    HSPS at Cambridge FOR SURE!
    I applied for that course and did't get the interview
    I seems like an amazing course, so if you got the offer don't miss out on it!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got an offer for BA Geography?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by houdhoud1997)
    If you got to choose between UCL and Warwick for Economics, which one would you go to ?? (I'm really lost, as I am an international student, I can't really get to know the campus or city life ... )

I still haven't heard from LSE, but I don't really think I will get an offer so I'm basically hesitating between these two
    UCL.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.