Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d41k57)
    Sorry this is so long. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I found this very helpful. Could I ask a couple of follow ups - How have you found the atmosphere among the Fast Stream graduates - i.e. do you meet up often as a group, help each other out? etc
    - Also what has been the reception to you as a Fast Streamer working in your posts? i.e. Have you ever faced any resentment or difficulties from other staff who may not be keen on the FS? In particular among any staff you've had or your line managers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ07)
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I found this very helpful. Could I ask a couple of follow ups - How have you found the atmosphere among the Fast Stream graduates - i.e. do you meet up often as a group, help each other out? etc
    - Also what has been the reception to you as a Fast Streamer working in your posts? i.e. Have you ever faced any resentment or difficulties from other staff who may not be keen on the FS? In particular among any staff you've had or your line managers.
    I haven't started my post yet (start in a month!), what I was saying was based on the things that I have been told by my new line manager and FSers I have met at assessment centres and when I met my new team.

I have been told that there are loads of socials etc. organised and that all FSers in a given location are on mailing lists so everyone finds about what's going on. Like with uni it seems that if you involve yourself then there is lots you can do.

There are mandatory FS training events and so you will meet up with other FSers outside of your team at these events too.

There is an FB group for incoming FSers that you get invited to when you have a formal offer (a link appears in your FSAC results page on the application site).

There is a FS induction - this is done a regular intervals throughout the year and all FSers need to attend within 6 months of starting (or something like that).

I can't really comment on your last point, but I have had no indication from anyone that there is any resentment of FSers. I met quite a few people at the assessment centres who were already at lower civil service grades and were applying for FS as a way of accelerating their promotion. It seems to be something people aspire to rather than being annoyed by.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't started my post yet (start in a month!), what I was saying was based on the things that I have been told by my new line manager and FSers I have met at assessment centres and when I met my new team.

I have been told that there are loads of socials etc. organised and that all FSers in a given location are on mailing lists so everyone finds about what's going on. Like with uni it seems that if you involve yourself then there is lots you can do.

There are mandatory FS training events and so you will meet up with other FSers outside of your team at these events too.

There is an FB group for incoming FSers that you get invited to when you have a formal offer (a link appears in your FSAC results page on the application site).

There is a FS induction - this is done a regular intervals throughout the year and all FSers need to attend within 6 months of starting (or something like that).

I can't really comment on your last point, but I have had no indication from anyone that there is any resentment of FSers. I met quite a few people at the assessment centres who were already at lower civil service grades and were applying for FS as a way of accelerating their promotion. It seems to be something people aspire to rather than being annoyed by.
    Ah ok - well thanks again for sharing what you've learned. It's good to hear that there is a strong FS network in place as I think that'll be a great thing to get involved in. Best wishes for when you start!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For anyone that's waiting to hear about the diplomatic service, I have just been told I will hear whether I'm invited to FSB in the week commencing 16th March. I guess this probably applies to everyone. Good luck!

ReputationRep:

Do you know if these training events all take place in London? It would be quite nice to travel down every now and then if I am not posted there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ailss)
    Do you know if these training events all take place in London? It would be quite nice to travel down every now and then if I am not posted there
    From what I gather its quite complex, but I got them impression that there are training events that are only in London that everyone needs to attend, and elsewhere occasionally too. Also, there are a lot of optional events and they tend to be more location specific (i.e. you will be on a mailing list for your particular location). For my role I will be in York but my line manager will be in London, so for the first few months I am spending quite a bit of time in London (several days a week) while I am being trained up. It's quite daunting but I think it'll be great to spend time in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grownupfrog)

(Original post by Nat1_3)
    Thanks so much for the help! I didn't even know there was a downloads page in the application portal.

Yeah I spoke to someone from the Civil Service at a careers fair this year, and they told me they scrapped all the tests (numerical etc) for the assessment centre this year. I just wasn't sure if I believed him! :P

I guess I'll see you tomorrow Nat, Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munster)
    Thanks so much for the help! I didn't even know there was a downloads page in the application portal.

Yeah I spoke to someone from the Civil Service at a careers fair this year, and they told me they scrapped all the tests (numerical etc) for the assessment centre this year. I just wasn't sure if I believed him! :P

I guess I'll see you tomorrow Nat, Good Luck!
    Yes! Good luck to you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who applied to the communications service as well heard anything? Sift is this week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauws)
    Anyone who applied to the communications service as well heard anything? Sift is this week.
    Nothing yet for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f.burton)
    Congratulations! I think it's very unusual that you got your feedback report immediately, I've been waiting weeks for mine!
    Out of interest, are you still waiting for results for another option within the same overall stream as CD? I think this may be the reason why you or others don't have it. Otherwise then it's just a mystery as to why I got mine.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone from Friday heard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlie86520)
    For anyone that's waiting to hear about the diplomatic service, I have just been told I will hear whether I'm invited to FSB in the week commencing 16th March. I guess this probably applies to everyone. Good luck!
    Cheers for the information, I'm waiting to hear as well. Good to know that we'll find out for sure but agonising waiting until then. Best of luck to you.

ReputationRep:
    I've got my invite to the DaT FSB, April 29. Any tips? Anyone else coming?

ReputationRep:
    For those yet to do their FSAC, the fast stream Twitter feed has tons of tips too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonoDrew)
    I've got my invite to the DaT FSB, April 29. Any tips? Anyone else coming?

Hi,

My FSAC is on Wednesday 18th of March 2015. Did you get a feedback on your performance in FSAC? Can you give me some tips that how to prepare for FSAC?

ReputationRep:
    Heard back an hour ish ago. Through to final selection board Trying to find out where our feedback report is, or if we have to wait?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ljbuilder)
    Heard back an hour ish ago. Through to final selection board Trying to find out where our feedback report is, or if we have to wait?

Congratulations...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ljbuilder)
    Congratulations!

What stream? And when did you do your FSAC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shahbaz Ahmad)
    Hi,

My FSAC is on Wednesday 18th of March 2015. Did you get a feedback on your performance in FSAC? Can you give me some tips that how to prepare for FSAC?
    If you read through this thread there are loads of tips and information that will answer your question.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.