Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anybody planning on applying to undergrad schools as a graduate: where would be my best shot with AAB at A Level and a predicted 1st in my degree? I have a high UKCAT but no GAMSAT or BMAT, and I'm finding my options to be really limited (especially as I'm not super keen on going too far north). Any help would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grad201X)
    For the 'Live at home while studying?' question, do you put yes or no if you're intending to get a private place near the uni (i.e. I'm definitely not living at home but probably not at uni accommodation)? Some of my choices offer accommodation to grad medics so I'd rather not totally exclude myself from pursuing that option if I didn't have to if possible.
    Put no

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPT95)
    Also curious about this - I know UCAS have a system where they check your statement for plagiarism against their huge bank of previous statements, so if I used a section of my old statement in my new one would this count as plagiarism?!
    Yes. If you have used the exact same wording for that paragraph, it is still plagiarism and you will be screened out without question (the system will show that over a certain percentage of your PS is identical to another one, then a committee of sorts will check it and if they find it's the same as your last one, that's the end of the road for you). It's a bit off-topic, but I know of someone who applied to LSE for two years in a row and used sections of his previous personal statement without re-wording them - it was considered plagiarism and got rejected. A bit silly, I agree; just be careful and paraphrase stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Healthynewlife)
    How much are reapplicants changing their personal statement? About half of mine is completely new stuff but about 1/4 of the other half is exactly the same and 1/4 is te same but reworded. The unis im applying to dont really use ps but i'd hate to be rejected just because I look lazy because I didn't change all of it!
    It's still plagiarism even if it's work you've already written - I can't count how many times I've been told this at uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ada_t)
    Yes. If you have used the exact same wording for that paragraph, it is still plagiarism and you will be screened out without question (the system will show that over a certain percentage of your PS is identical to another one, then a committee of sorts will check it and if they find it's the same as your last one, that's the end of the road for you). It's a bit off-topic, but I know of someone who applied to LSE for two years in a row and used sections of his previous personal statement without re-wording them - it was considered plagiarism and got rejected. A bit silly, I agree; just be careful and paraphrase stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Clunkles)
    It's still plagiarism even if it's work you've already written - I can't count how many times I've been told this at uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No! This is *******s- you can't plagiarise yourself! The system will realise it was you who wrote the PS the year before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    No! This is *******s- you can't plagiarise yourself! The system will realise it was you who wrote the PS the year before.
    Not sure how well a uni will take just being fed half the same personal statement as last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    You can plagiarise yourself sadly. Happened to my friend at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richardjamesford)
    You can plagiarise yourself sadly. Happened to my friend at uni
    UCAS have said that it's ok to do this for your personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clunkles)
    Not sure how well a uni will take just being fed half the same personal statement as last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True, but that wasn't what was being asked. It's certainly advisable to improve your ps, but there are some GEM courses that don't even look at your PS. UCAS have said that they allow PSs that you have previously used in an application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanaGEM)
    I personally think medify is generally harder, particularly QR and DA
    Hi hana, sorry to annoy you, I just wanted to ask you, if u rmeber waht u got in any mocks? I keep getting 600 and so im super scared

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk88)
    Hi hana, sorry to annoy you, I just wanted to ask you, if u rmeber waht u got in any mocks? I keep getting 600 and so im super scared
    If i can log in Ill check

ReputationRep:
    If i can log in Ill check
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk88)
    thanks
    I cant access my results and I threw away the ones Id written down yesterday, I know in the easy mock I got about 600 (by their scoring), i think i did fairly well in the hard mock, dont remember medium at all

ReputationRep:
    I cant access my results and I threw away the ones Id written down yesterday, I know in the easy mock I got about 600 (by their scoring), i think i did fairly well in the hard mock, dont remember medium at all
    okay thank u

ReputationRep:
    But on a more serious note, I asked my personal tutor for a reference and she said she would but she wouldnt know what to write. So Im a little concerned about this :s who is writing your reference this time?
    Oh because I've been working in A&E my matron is doing my reference so it's all good this time, but my ukcat score was low so I don't think it'll make much of a difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanishqa)
    Ukcatprep? That's Emedica right? You did all the 12 tests? I'm sorry to bug you with so many questions but you scored so well. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol No I'm sure it was just ukcatprep n I only done the free mock test. Didn't pay for the other ones. The mock is very good though all the best of luck for your test !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mzchocolate)
    Oh because I've been working in A&E my matron is doing my reference so it's all good this time, but my ukcat score was low so I don't think it'll make much of a difference
    That sucks The stats are out soon, dont count your chickens yet ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absorbaloff)
    That's really unfair, universities are supposed to provide you with references appropriate to your academic ability, personal feelings about students doing different courses shouldn't even come to it. Who will give you a reference if you academic tutor won't?
    Yeah, they were awful, but after graduating and having worked for a year, I don't need to rely on them for s reference anymore so it's good news

ReputationRep:
    That sucks The stats are out soon, dont count your chickens yet ...
    Oh I've thrown in the towel already, cried my eyes out and been a walking grey cloud for the last few days. Given up hope for this year, I felt so deflated I didn't even want to submit my application lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mzchocolate)
    Yeah, they were awful, but after graduating and having worked for a year, I don't need to rely on them for s reference anymore so it's good news
    How long ago did you graduate as some unis insist on an academic ref if its within the last 2 years. Im actually glad mine is being done by uni as I dont want to ask work when i havent even started yet :s

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.