37.34%
Kalliope
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kiyubi)
what is your subject area?
Does Milton's syntax in Paradise Lost help or hinder?

I'm planning on broadening that out as time wears on though. I want to investigate the debates about the pros and cons of his style which were re-invigorated by TS Eliot & FR Leavis' dismissal of Milton in the 40s. Is the syntax unecessarily complex? Is the diction too latinate? Is it too grand at the expense of subtlety? etc. Also hoping to tie in some background about the criticical contexts to the debate as I go along (Scrutiny etc). There's quite a lot of available literary criticism (as in, my local library can order then in from head office) on the more philosophical side of things - presentation of God, Satan etc, which I've read quite a lot of as I was originally focusing on that area (and it's fun!). It does touch on his style, of course, but I really need some in depth analysis purely on that, which is what Birmingham would have provided.

What's yours on?
kiyubi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kalliope)
Does Milton's syntax in Paradise Lost help or hinder?

I'm planning on broadening that out as time wears on though. I want to investigate the debates about the pros and cons of his style which were re-invigorated by TS Eliot & FR Leavis' dismissal of Milton in the 40s. Is the syntax unecessarily complex? Is the diction too latinate? Is it too grand at the expense of subtlety? etc. Also hoping to tie in some background about the criticical contexts to the debate as I go along (Scrutiny etc). There's quite a lot of available literary criticism (as in, my local library can order then in from head office) on the more philosophical side of things - presentation of God, Satan etc, which I've read quite a lot of as I was originally focusing on that area (and it's fun!). It does touch on his style, of course, but I really need some in depth analysis purely on that, which is what Birmingham would have provided.

What's yours on?
nice!
mine is an investigation towards medical herbs
i visited 5 places now, they are the manchester uni, and a medical herbs shop near my house, and i had an interview with my doctor, and i have further travelled to a place that is ½ an hour away from my house, it is like a jungle that contains medicinal herbs and i wrote everything the people advised me on
and at the end now i chose only five types of herbs to talk about in broad detail the history,what it cures,by who it was discovered etc.
heh!
Ceiti
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Has anyone ever done two extended projects? Is it even possible?
Kalliope
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
nice!
i visited 5 places now, they are the manchester uni, and a medical herbs shop near my house, and i had an interview with my doctor, and i have further travelled to a place that is ½ an hour away from my house, it is like a jungle that contains medicinal herbs and i wrote everything the people advised me on
and at the end now i chose only five types of herbs to talk about in broad detail the history,what it cures,by who it was discovered etc.
heh!
Wow, that sounds awesome! Yeah, I really need to do something other than just read to broaden my research - tough with English though!

(Original post by Ceiti)
I think it is yeah. I swear I've heard someone do it. I was actually thinking that I would love to do one on Piers Plowman or possibly Medieval dream-vsion poetry more generally next year, but I getting way ahead of myself and would die if I had that on top of UCAS!
Kalliope
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
nice!
heh!
Wow, that sounds awesome! Yeah, I really need to do something other than just read to broaden my research - tough with English though!

(Original post by Ceiti)
I think it is yeah. I swear I've heard someone do it. I was actually thinking that I would love to do one on Piers Plowman or possibly Medieval dream-vsion poetry more generally next year, but I getting way ahead of myself and would die if I had that on top of UCAS!
kiyubi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

if u need help feel free to ask heh!
Kalliope
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
if u need help feel free to ask heh!
thanks
kiyubi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
thanks
u welcome heh!
jwf13
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just found out about EPQs and I have some questions...
Is AQA the only exam board that you can do an EPQ with?

If it is then: Can you only do it if you're doing the AQA Baccalaureate?

Can you do an EPQ in a subject that you don't do with AQA e.g: do an EPQ in Geography even if your doing it with edexcel exam board?
Thanks
Kalliope
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jwf13)
Just found out about EPQs and I have some questions...
Is AQA the only exam board that you can do an EPQ with?

If it is then: Can you only do it if you're doing the AQA Baccalaureate?

Can you do an EPQ in a subject that you don't do with AQA e.g: do an EPQ in Geography even if your doing it with edexcel exam board?
Thanks
No, you can also do it with OCR and WJEC. Not sure about Edexcel though. AQA is the most popular though.

If you do it with AQA then you don't have to do the AQA Bacc as well.

Yes, you can do it on a subject you don't do with AQA. For example, my friend is doing an AQA EPQ on Genealogy (so History) and we do History on Edexcel.

Hope that helps
jwf13
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, you can also do it with OCR and WJEC. Not sure about Edexcel though. AQA is the most popular though.

If you do it with AQA then you don't have to do the AQA Bacc as well.

Yes, you can do it on a subject you don't do with AQA. For example, my friend is doing an AQA EPQ on Genealogy (so History) and we do History on Edexcel.

Hope that helps
Thanks
Melikeyflute
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do EPQs have to have a definite answer? or can it be subjective like an analysis of the government and their place in modern society?
FallenMan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Melikeyflute)
Do EPQs have to have a definite answer? or can it be subjective like an analysis of the government and their place in modern society?
An EPQ has to be able to be an argument, and a definite answer is not needed, however, make sure your conclusion ways up points and you bring about your view somewhere within that. In your conclusion you could also therefore state if research you did changed your opinion or made you think more about a point in which you were previously decisive about.
Melikeyflute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by FallenMan)
An EPQ has to be able to be an argument, and a definite answer is not needed, however, make sure your conclusion ways up points and you bring about your view somewhere within that. In your conclusion you could also therefore state if research you did changed your opinion or made you think more about a point in which you were previously decisive about.
okay thanks!!! How certain are you? Previous experience?
FallenMan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Melikeyflute)
okay thanks!!! How certain are you? Previous experience?
I did an EPQ last year and another one this year, as long as you clearly speak about all sides of an argument, you can say you feel one way but the views of another make you question what is truly right. A debate doesn't necessarily need one definite answer, so either does your EPQ
lets_bring_back_the_love
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think if theres a side you need to choose onne but I think mine will be almost certainly inconclusive :/
Natalie21
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by FallenMan)
I did an EPQ last year and another one this year, as long as you clearly speak about all sides of an argument, you can say you feel one way but the views of another make you question what is truly right. A debate doesn't necessarily need one definite answer, so either does your EPQ
Could I pm you a question about my EPQ?
FallenMan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Natalie21)
Could I pm you a question about my EPQ?
Yeah, sure, go ahead, I'll try and be of some help
FallenMan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lets_bring_back_the_love)
I think if theres a side you need to choose onne but I think mine will be almost certainly inconclusive :/
Not necessarily. If you were arguing about whether England should reinstate the death penalty, you could draw up conclusions that although you may support it, you have to question what's morally right and how people can be found to be completely guilty, to save the face of killing an innocent human being.
It doesn't matter if yours is inconclusive, just make sure you write a balanced argument and weigh up both sides when coming to a conclusion of an inconclusive answer (if that makes any sense!)
lets_bring_back_the_love
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh thankyou very much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (57)
76%
Leave (18)
24%

Watched Threads