Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eurovision Song Contest 2011 Society Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milky Milk)
    I say that because how do you know what countries voted for Azerbaijan by memory?
    Like I said in my first post, I don't particularly believe that they won because their song was the best and that 'Europe liked them'.

You're obviously not accepting all opinions considering you had a problem with myself saying how Azerbaijan shouldn't have won. You can disagree with me all you like, but please don't try and make out that you're accepting of opinions and putting on a peaceful act. You disagree and you're willing to state that, just admit it.
    I don't remember these countries by memory. I looked them up on the internet =)

yes, but they still won. Then europe must have liked them?

And yes I admit that I disagree with you, but I respect your opinion anyway. It's just annoying me that people say it was political voting, when it wasn't. The countries that I listed have no interest to vote for Az, but they still did. Yes, votes from Turkey, Russia and georgia were political, but the others were NOT. And even without those polical votes, they would still be first since they were way ahead of the second place.

ReputationRep:
    Um I liked Denmark...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    So Asian....
    No, not Asian. Russia's major part lies in Asia, but you classify them as Europe. Similarly Azerbaijan can also be considered as european

(Original post by fidan134)
      No, not Asian. Russia's major part lies in Asia, but you classify them as Europe. Similarly Azerbaijan can also be considered as european
      I specifically don't, don't make assumptions Azerbaijan is Asian get over it.

Edit: I do think Russia is part of European really but to be fair most of them live on the European side unlike in Azerbaijan which is not, I was teaching the guy to not make assumptions.

ReputationRep:
      Not in the same way. Firstly the vast majority of the Russian population is in Europe (west of the Urals), and secondly Russia, historically and culturally, is generally considered European. Azerbaijan on the other hand isn't geographically or culturally European, so saying Azerbaijan can be considered European is really pushing it.

That said, I don't really care whether Eurovision entrants are from Europe or not. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned .

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SpiritedAway)
      I think we should just make our own Loukas appreciation society :mmm:
      For some ridiculous reason I read this and thought you meant loukoumades and I was like :awesome:

Then I realised you didn't mean these:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
      For some ridiculous reason I read this and thought you meant loukoumades and I was like :awesome:

Then I realised you didn't mean these:

They look amazing :coma:

ReputationRep:
      I specifically don't, don't make assumptions Azerbaijan is Asian get over it.

Edit: I do think Russia is part of European really but to be fair most of them live on the European side unlike in Azerbaijan which is not, I was teaching the guy to not make assumptions.

Azerbaijan is a very small country, therefore the european part is small itself and this is why not many people live on european side. It's just because of countries' size.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
      Not in the same way. Firstly the vast majority of the Russian population is in Europe (west of the Urals), and secondly Russia, historically and culturally, is generally considered European. Azerbaijan on the other hand isn't geographically or culturally European, so saying Azerbaijan can be considered European is really pushing it.

That said, I don't really care whether Eurovision entrants are from Europe or not. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned .
      The Ural and Caucasus mountains (WHICH IS NORTH OF AZERBAIJAN) are considered the geographical boundaries between Europe and Asia.

this link shows a list of transcontinental countries:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ntal_countries

and I lived there, i know what their culture is like. It's a mixture between the two really, but not asian completely.

I found last years winning song horrible.
        I didn't realise that you had also written this :sad: Lena last year was amazing! This year she had a crap song in comparison to the other songs on her CD 'Good News' my personal favourite is 'A Million and One'... she should of gone with this one :lol:

ReputationRep:
        No, the vast majority of Russia that lies within Asia is lowly inhabited. The most inhabited areas of Russia are in the east, closer to it's European side. The capital is further west than Azerbaijan, quite significantly actually. So you could argue that Russia is more European than Asian. This is just a side point and not much to go by but if you take into account race characteristics Russians are very Eastern European looking and Azerbaijanis more Middle Eastern looking. But without that point, I still believe that Russia is more in Europe than Azerbaijan.

Yes, But I am allowed to dispute it. I don't believe that Israel should be apart of it either as it's further west than Syria and Iraq which are counted as Western Asia. Besides, do you really think they are invited because we like what they're doing as a country or they really are part of Europe? (namely Israel), it's clearly political.
        We can't really compare Rus and Az to be honest, since Azerbaijan is so small and Russia's huge.

And yes, I think they participate in these events because of their geographical position. As far as i know, Azerbaijan doesn't take part in any of the asian competitions and events. not sure about Israel though.

As for race, you know, north azerbaijanis have blond hair and blue eyes, some of them look like turkish, some of them look like italian, they are very different.
        I have azerbaijani friend, and everyone thinks she is french, because she looks like one. so race is debatable as well. =)

ReputationRep:
        I question your taste if you really think that 'Satellite' is horrible but 'Running scared' is great. :lolwut:
        I like love songs, that's probably the reason. Lena was singing about "wearing blue underwear" which is not so romantic, is it?

ReputationRep:
        I didn't realise that you had also written this :sad: Lena last year was amazing! This year she had a crap song in comparison to the other songs on her CD 'Good News' my personal favourite is 'A Million and One'... she should of gone with this one :lol:
        I still can't see why people liked her...

I like love songs, that's probably the reason. Lena was singing about "wearing blue underwear" which is not so romantic, is it?
          Turned me on :sexface: still it was catchy, if a song is catchy it will do well... that is golden rule
          I still can't see why people liked her...
          Because she is some kind of quirky goddess that a lot of men want to marry? and she has a great personality (at least from interviews I have seen).

I'm confused as to why she sung that song, compared to the competition, it wasn't the best choice.
            No it wasn't the best choice, it also sounded a bit rapey to me :lolwut::lol:

ReputationRep:
            Europe and Asia are also tone deaf.

ReputationRep:
            Turned me on :sexface: still it was catchy, if a song is catchy it will do well... that is golden rule

Because she is some kind of quirky goddess that a lot of men want to marry? and she has a great personality (at least from interviews I have seen).
            is that just me who thinks that this year she looked so much prettier than last year?

ReputationRep:
            I question your taste if you really think that 'Satellite' is horrible but 'Running scared' is great. :lolwut:
            I also hated Italy's song, but loved Greece =)

is that just me who thinks that this year she looked so much prettier than last year?
              She was gorgeous last year and this, I think you are a troll now tbh.

Go away troll.

ReputationRep:
              Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Moldova were brilliant. A lot of the songs this year seemed very similar to some other song that I couldn't quite put my finger on. The Moldovan verse sounded to me like the verses of Elevation by U2 kind of, except faster. Anyone?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            What newspaper do you read/prefer?
            Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.