The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2400
Original post by fayetoup
Recently got offered a post in Stratford, and so happy about it. Been waiting for months. Does anyone know if the 12 week training period is paid?

Have you been given a start date or still on provisional offer?
Original post by Doll Parts
Before you hand your notice in, I would try and get full confirmation of the nature of your role, if you have childcare responsibilities. I started in VAT in September and my contract is certainly not 8-8, nor was there any mention of customer calls.

It sounds more to me that you are being placed in personal tax or a customer contact role.

Hope it all works out for you x

Not even the managers know what tax new staff will be doing yet.
Im wondering where all this call information comes from?is this from the original jib advert?or a seperate sheet stating it?
'Customer calls' was mentioned in my offer letter. I started in October as a HO caseworker and will focus on ITSA. The 'calls' are visits to traders and they vary depending on which Tax head you're working on. The only phonecalls you would make and take as part of the role are those to traders/agents in regards to the compliance check you're carrying out.

Somebody else mentioned about TSP people taking calls in January during the SA peak and I remember that my learning plan for January didn't have any reading or tutorials, it was all dedicated to casework. So who knows if we're actually going to do that or they stick us on the phones for a month. By that point my knowledge of SA would be basic as the first few months are cross tax learning where we are learning the basics about many different types of tax with lots of other things to go with it. I only would have read a short 20 page overview guide on SA, hardly enough to deal with all types of SA queries from the public.
(edited 7 years ago)
As someone who has worked as an AO for over a year taking SA and PAYE calls, the chances of them putting caseworkers on the phones are pretty much zero. Even if you move from SA contact centre to doing VAT/CT they don't allow you to do SA overtime.

I'm awaiting my O band start date so feeling the pain of many in here
I'd be the first to volunteer if they fancied paying me double time at £27 an hour!
Reply 2406
Original post by pukahontas
'Customer calls' was mentioned in my offer letter. I started in October as a HO caseworker and will focus on ITSA. The 'calls' are visits to traders and they vary depending on which Tax head you're working on. The only phonecalls you would make and take as part of the role are those to traders/agents in regards to the compliance check you're carrying out.

Somebody else mentioned about TSP people taking calls in January during the SA peak and I remember that my learning plan for January didn't have any reading or tutorials, it was all dedicated to casework. So who knows if we're actually going to do that or they stick us on the phones for a month. By that point my knowledge of SA would be basic as the first few months are cross tax learning where we are learning the basics about many different types of tax with lots of other things to go with it. I only would have read a short 20 page overview guide on SA, hardly enough to deal with all types of SA queries from the public.

Thank you! That seems to be most helpful and has given me a better insight. I was hoping calls meant visits but just wanted to make sure.
Where are you based and how are you finding your role? Are you doing exams?
Reply 2407
Original post by Waki7866
Im wondering where all this call information comes from?is this from the original jib advert?or a seperate sheet stating it?

It was in my offer
Original post by ryan.m
As someone who has worked as an AO for over a year taking SA and PAYE calls, the chances of them putting caseworkers on the phones are pretty much zero. Even if you move from SA contact centre to doing VAT/CT they don't allow you to do SA overtime.

It happens every year though for the peak. People from other departments with no SA knowledge work the peak.

All they do is take payments so you don't need any SA knowledge as they aren't an information line.
Original post by Waki7866
Whats the differ3nce between CCO and business and compliance?

It doesnt tell me which department i am in. just states after 12 weeks i will get allocated a team.

And i think everyone will realise that it will be 8 - 8 and might include weekends. it states that in my current contract but never had to work weekends or until 8.

I have been offered CCO Casework Officer at Newcastle with the same shift patterns as you.

I asked for more info due to childcare and was told the following:

In summary, CCO's standard operating working hours are (there is an element of flexi which can be built up around the core times detailed below):

Monday to FridayStarting 08:00 and finishing 16:30 or
Starting 08:30 and finishing 17:00 or
Starting 09:00 and finishing 17:30

Staff also have to work 1 late shift each week which is 12:00 to 20:00 - late shifts are instead of the normal shift pattern allocated to an individual for one work day per week. A staff member's late shift is allocated to a specific day from Monday to Thursday, but every 1 in 6 weeks the staff member's late shift is rota' d for a Friday instead of their allocated day. Staff are asked for a preference of their working pattern and allocated late day, and given 4 weeks' notice before their allocated shift patterns start. It cannot be guaranteed that staff's preferred shift patterns will be allocated to them, as all shifts must meet the needs of the business.
Weekends
Staff have to work 1 in 6 Saturdays and 1 in 12 Sundays on a rota bases. Weekend working hours are 08:00 to 16:00. If staff work a Saturday they have the Wednesday before it off as a non-working day. If staff work a Sunday they have the Tuesday after it off as a non-working day.

Hope this helps!
Anyone else starting at Newcastle on 5th Dec??
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 1Kim
Thank you! That seems to be most helpful and has given me a better insight. I was hoping calls meant visits but just wanted to make sure.
Where are you based and how are you finding your role? Are you doing exams?

Based in Leeds, the job itself seems interesting from sitting with caseworkers and other teams. The learning is very dry however, our plan has us reading material between 25-35 hours a week, each week for 6 months. The rest of the time is filled with tutorials and casework but we won't be given a case until probably the end of November.

There are no exams as part of our learning plan but there are knowledge checks on several subjects and I've done six so far, some easier than others as some cover lots of areas which means more reading. The knowledge checks aren't done under exam conditions, you do them at your computer when you feel ready and they're multiple choice. You're not allowed any notes etc while you do them but if you focus on your reading you'll be fine.

Then again, the learning plan is now supposedly being condensed to 12 weeks so it may be different again for new starters.
Original post by N-Dulge
echoing a previous post .. those that have been offered positions, what were your scores? just out of curiosity.... :smile:

The CSR 1667/16 roles are being offered on location needs and in merit of stage 2 and 3 scores- the interview/ assessment centre scores aren't being taken into consideration. (That's what my job advert says anyway)

I've had no feedback from my online assessments and did not get to interview stage so have no clue what my scores were.
Original post by Mega0448
It happens every year though for the peak. People from other departments with no SA knowledge work the peak.

All they do is take payments so you don't need any SA knowledge as they aren't an information line.

Fair enough I wasn't aware of that. Thought it was on the actual helpline but if it's only taking payments then that's obviously different
Original post by ryan.m

I agree I was an AO a few months ago at HMRC, HEO in a contact centre environment isn't going to happen unless you get drafted in to work on something complex that would be out of remit for an AO
Based in Leeds, the job itself seems interesting from sitting with caseworkers and other teams. The learning is very dry however, our plan has us reading material between 25-35 hours a week, each week for 6 months. The rest of the time is filled with tutorials and casework but we won't be given a case until probably the end of November.

There are no exams as part of our learning plan but there are knowledge checks on several subjects and I've done six so far, some easier than others as some cover lots of areas which means more reading. The knowledge checks aren't done under exam conditions, you do them at your computer when you feel ready and they're multiple choice. You're not allowed any notes etc while you do them but if you focus on your reading you'll be fine.

Then again, the learning plan is now supposedly being condensed to 12 weeks so it may be different again for new starters.

Yea its scandalous that new starters are being put at a disadvantage. When analysing performance you can't possibly compare someone who has 6 months training with someone who has 12 weeks
Original post by Jamz115
Yea its scandalous that new starters are being put at a disadvantage. When analysing performance you can't possibly compare someone who has 6 months training with someone who has 12 weeks

The HO training used to be two years long... I don't think anyone who has started recently will have a clue what they are doing after 6 months.
Original post by Mega0448
The HO training used to be two years long... I don't think anyone who has started recently will have a clue what they are doing after 6 months.

I'm not an expert on the civil service but sometimes it brings problems upon itself with things like this.
Reply 2417

Started at the same time. We already have 2 cases.

It sounds like yours are much strcter than my training regarding th learning checks.

Original post by Jamz115

Agreed. People before me are doing an evasion course for 6 months. The ones before them are on the old 18 month course. My ITSA like Pukahontos above is 6 months. The new one is dumb. I barely know ****.
Morning guys! I am still waiting for my formal offer (HO Caseworker 1320/16 London)

I emailed them to ask when I'm likely to receive a formal offer. They said they've just started to give formal offers out now and I will hear in the next couple of weeks! This is so painful!

You're so lucky you've received your offers already. I think they expect you to hand your notice in straight away after receiving the email as they've given you 4 weeks 'til your start date. I wouldn't bother waiting until your status has changed - you've got your offer in writing already! :smile:
Reply 2419
I have just rang the number that was posted on here a few days ago. Spoke to a guy who said that basically the original team that handled all this fell behind with it all (which is obvious) an they were brought in a month ago to start handling the data etc. He reassured me that i was on the list and just waiting for the pre employment checks to be completed which je said should be in the next few weeks. He did say though that most are in the same situation as me. I dont know if he was referring to my location or in general but if you look on here they seems to be a lot of people for croydon getting offers. Maybe they are doing it by location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest

Trending

Trending