The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
How you gona get A* in physics.
No one gets an A* in physics. No one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Might try to make it happen in the next three days, got nothing else to do lol. (PH5 on Tues.)
Although it'd be for the bantz rather than anything purposeful.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Might try to make it happen in the next three days, got nothing else to do lol. (PH5 on Tues.)

Same starting papers today. Me and zacken gna get A*.

ffs gerbil stop leaving me out i feel so left out
Original post by IrrationalRoot

Yeah, pretty much the reason why I am thinking of exceeding my Physics offer.

ffs gerbil stop leaving me out I feel so left out

Original post by Number Nine
ffs gerbil stop leaving me out i feel so left out

I stole your line.

(btw you are too funny seriously :rofl:)
Original post by L-Tyrosine
Can someone knowledgeable please predict my friend's performance:

q1 done except part 2

q8 done except part 3

q11 done

q9 part 1 done, part 2 attempted but need to get more details on how good of an attempt it was

q10 part 1 done, part 2 attempted but once again need to get more details

q2 and q4 were partially done but I don't know to what extent, so I'll update it when I find out but until then could someone please predict a lower bound for this performance? Thanks.

Assuming "attempted" means he was on his way to the correct answer, and "done" means he got it right, your friend is probably looking at a 1 here. With the proviso for mistakes/ bad logic/ etc I would bring this down to a 1/2 grade.

I don't really see how you can partially do q4 unless he literally started it with 5 minutes left. I only see one way to do this in a reasonable amount of time, and the result falls out very quickly. Either he didn't get anywhere, or he made a small silly error and was close to a full solution. This is very much a "get it" question, just like Q3 and Q7.

Original post by sweeneyrod
12 was definitely a gift. I wouldn't say 7 was easy (at least for me). 1 and 2 were both pretty accessible, and I'd say 3 was as well (as long as you realised you had to differentiate, rather than integrate).
Yes, I missed this on Q3 when I briefly read over each question.

I think 7 is very easy; one solid diagram, knocking out the factors and it all follows apart from the coordinate transition at the end (which I doubt is worth more than 5 marks anyway). Although, I do say this having just done a maths/physics degree and not as an A-Level candidate.

Bottom line is, people aren't great at question selection in STEP. A lot of people stick exclusively to pure. So I dont necessarily expect higher grade boundaries just because of Qs 12 and 11.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Llewellyn
Assuming "attempted" means he was on his way to the correct answer, and "done" means he got it right, your friend is probably looking at a 1 here. With the proviso for mistakes/ bad logic/ etc I would bring this down to a 1/2 grade.

I don't really see how you can partially do q4 unless he literally started it with 5 minutes left. I only see one way to do this in a reasonable amount of time, and the result falls out very quickly. Either he didn't get anywhere, or he made a small silly error and was close to a full solution. This is very much a "get it" question, just like Q3 and Q7.

Yeah I think that was the case, he said it was a measly attempt. Thanks for the insights.
Original post by Llewellyn

I think 7 is very easy; one solid diagram, knocking out the factors and it all follows apart from the coordinate transition at the end (which I doubt is worth more than 5 marks anyway). Although, I do say this having just done a maths/physics degree and not as an A-Level candidate.

I can see that it could be a quick question, but for me at least it was hard to get (since I don't have the benefit of a maths degree!)
Can someone predict my performance please

1 - first part only (showing I1)

2 - did all except the distance is less than a/sqrt(2), but for parts ii and iii i didn't find the coordinates only and expression which was independent of p

3 - full (explanation may have been lacking slightly)

4 - not a lot at all, 2 or 3 marks

8 - full

9 - showed extension for the first part and then got an expression for the tension, but the bit inside the square root was wrong, must have rushed the cosine rule in the last few minutes
Original post by liamm691
Can someone predict my performance please

1 - first part only (showing I1)

2 - did all except the distance is less than a/sqrt(2), but for parts ii and iii i didn't find the coordinates only and expression which was independent of p

3 - full (explanation may have been lacking slightly)

4 - not a lot at all, 2 or 3 marks

8 - full

9 - showed extension for the first part and then got an expression for the tension, but the bit inside the square root was wrong, must have rushed the cosine rule in the last few minutes

I would say around about 5+10+18+3+20+ probably 10 ish but not done the question = high 60s so should be a clear 1 :smile:
Can someone give me an idea of how many marks I've got in II and III, please? Thank you!

II

Spoiler

III

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Why can we not register for the results until 5 days before the results are posted?
Original post by ホク水ね
Can someone give me an idea of how many marks I've got in II and III, please? Thank you!

II

Spoiler

III

Spoiler

For III:
Id guess around 17+5+11+14+20=high 60s/ low 70s Id guess so definite 1 :smile:

Afraid Id have to have another look at the II paper since i havent thought about it in a while.
Original post by student0042
Why can we not register for the results until 5 days before the results are posted?

Apparently some years people have registered earlier and been 'locked out' of the system so its just a precaution so u can access ur results on results day properly.
Original post by EnglishMuon
Apparently some years people have registered earlier and been 'locked out' of the system so its just a precaution so u can access ur results on results day properly.

Oh, alright. Thanks! :smile:
For III:
Id guess around 17+5+11+14+20=high 60s/ low 70s Id guess so definite 1 :smile:

Afraid Id have to have another look at the II paper since i havent thought about it in a while.

No problem, thankyou :smile:
Can someone predict my marks?

Q3: Part (i)

Q4: Full, except for the last part, I got the sum from -∞ to wrong

Q5: Full

Q6: Parts (i), (ii), (iii), but in (iii) I didn't consider the case b≥√(1+a²). I tried part (iv) too but failed one of the derivatives and got no answer.

Q8: Full, but I got wrong final result in part (iii). The method was good, I made a mistake in the last line of the solution.

Q12: Part (i)

Wait, what? I registered the day after STEP II, is this okay?
Reply 2417
Original post by tridianprime

Think you can just re-register closer to the day anyway. Don't worry about it, plenty of people did the same thing as you last year.
Original post by tridianprime

I mean it should be, its just incase I suppose there have been issues other years. Im pretty sure its unlikely to be a major problem tho. At most if it doesnt work u can contact the ATS and they should be able to sort it out pretty quickly.
I mean it should be, its just incase I suppose there have been issues other years. Im pretty sure its unlikely to be a major problem tho. At most if it doesnt work u can contact the ATS and they should be able to sort it out pretty quickly.

Okay, I guess we'll see.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending