Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mvaryani)
    What universities are you guys applying to?
    UCL, Birmingham, Leeds, York and Queen Mary's London.
    I know wish I'd applied to either Warwick or Oxford instead of Leeds, just incase I don't get UCL, which is the one I want!
    I have offers from all but UCL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mvaryani)
    What universities are you guys applying to?
    I'm applying to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bristol. I have offers from all but Cambridge where I've been invited to an interview.
    If I would change anything, I would have probably applied to Nottingham/St Andrews instead of Bristol because now, I have no insurance choice. xD
    Then again, hindsight is 20:20 and there was no way that I could have known that I'd be in the position I am right now before I applied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epic Flawless)
    I'm applying to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bristol. I have offers from all but Cambridge where I've been invited to an interview.
    If I would change anything, I would have probably applied to Nottingham/St Andrews instead of Bristol because now, I have no insurance choice. xD
    Then again, hindsight is 20:20 and there was no way that I could have known that I'd be in the position I am right now before I applied.
    But do you really need an insurance? A*AA is more than achievable with the UMS you achieved at AS.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone here have the AS level AQA economics unit 1 revision guide by ray powell? the markets and market failure one..... if so can someone look at diagram 10b on page 35 and just check its correct, because it doesn't look right to me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    But do you really need an insurance? A*AA is more than achievable with the UMS you achieved at AS.
    That was indeed the reason why I made my choices but humans are intrinsically paranoid.

Even if there is a slim chance that I won't achieve I don't achieve those grades, it's a chance nonetheless. In fact, the lack of an insurance choice exacerbates the negative payoff should that occur, meaning that the expected benefit from choosing 5 A*AA universities is diminished.

You are right though, it's just a minor thought. It's not like I can do anything now anyway.

By the way, what are you doing to prepare for your Cambridge interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Exactly the reason why my head of year pushed me to apply to LSE twice instead, he thinks that I am atleast guranteed one offer (my school is not the best school but some students work extremely hard) and he said that if I don't manage to get A*AA then I probably don't deserve to go these uni's in the first place.
    Tbh Cambridge's offer is A*AA in Further maths, econ and physics so it is technically an A*A*AA offer as you should pretty much get the A* in maths anyways so you could say that you back up can be the A*AAE/A*AAB from LSE/Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TerribleTej)
    Exactly the reason why my head of year pushed me to apply to LSE twice instead, he thinks that I am atleast guranteed one offer (my school is not the best school but some students work extremely hard) and he said that if I don't manage to get A*AA then I probably don't deserve to go these uni's in the first place.
    Tbh Cambridge's offer is A*AA in Further maths, econ and physics so it is technically an A*A*AA offer as you should pretty much get the A* in maths anyways so you could say that you back up can be the A*AAE/A*AAB from LSE/Warwick.
    Is it really A*AA in FM, Econ and physics? I haven't seen that anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly the reason why my head of year pushed me to apply to LSE twice instead, he thinks that I am atleast guranteed one offer [...]
    Woudln't applying to LSE twice indicate that you are unsure about the course you want to study or are unsure of your chances to get an offer therefore you applied twice?
    (They discourage it in my school for these reasons.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    Woudln't applying to LSE twice indicate that you are unsure about the course you want to study or are unsure of your chances to get an offer therefore you applied twice?
    (They discourage it in my school for these reasons.)
    No I applied for economics at 4 uni's and then for Maths and Econ at LSE. All this could show is that Maths and Econ is my back up course, and my personal statement shows my enthusiasm for studying economics so atleast it won't hurt my application for econ at LSE.

ReputationRep:
    I have heard of people getting those offers, and sometimes they ask for A*A*AA too.

ReputationRep:
    No I applied for economics at 4 uni's and then for Maths and Econ at LSE. All this could show is that Maths and Econ is my back up course, and my personal statement shows my enthusiasm for studying economics so atleast it won't hurt my application for econ at LSE.
    Fair enough. I know people who chose 2 courses (one of which was less competitive) just to have a greater chance of getting an offer from a particular university.
    A bit different case, but my friend wanted to study Economics at LSE. Then she decided it was too competitive with her AAA predictions and applied for Management because the offer is AAB.

ReputationRep:
    LSE only give 1 offer per applicant anyway

ReputationRep:
    That offer's only for people who've done A Level Maths early, so they discount it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    That offer's only for people who've done A Level Maths early, so they discount it.
    oh ok, does this mean that the rest get A*A*AA offers? or do they get A*AAA offers?

ReputationRep:
    oh ok, does this mean that the rest get A*A*AA offers? or do they get A*AAA offers?
    I don't know. It depends on the college and other factors, but offers are usually based on 3 A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    If a uni rejects me based on predicted grades, once I get my real results can I do adjustment at the same uni?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from Warwick or Nottingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blyts-_)
    If a uni rejects me based on predicted grades, once I get my real results can I do adjustment at the same uni?
    Depends if the uni allows it. If not then the only way I'm afraid is a gap year. Which course and what uni is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    Depends if the uni allows it. If not then the only way I'm afraid is a gap year. Which course and what uni is it?
    Economics at University of Leicester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiirankapoor)
    Anyone heard from Warwick or Nottingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    sent mine on the 15th of October and haven't heard anything from Nottingham for straight economics :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.