Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    is it true to say that those participating in 'reach Scotland' automatically have an extra 10% added onto their UKCAT score? If so, I find that slightly unfair...
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jen123456)
    is it true to say that those participating in 'reach Scotland' automatically have an extra 10% added onto their UKCAT score? If so, I find that slightly unfair...
    This is true for the University of Glasgow, but I don't know if it's true for other universities. It's part of the widening access initiative.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    This is true for the University of Glasgow, but I don't know if it's true for other universities. It's part of the widening access initiative.

Posted from TSR Mobile

how do become involved in it? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jen123456)
    Reach is only available to those studying at certain schools. I assume that there must be certain criteria which have to be reached in order to qualify for reach Scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaitlinDy)
    Reach is only available to those studying at certain schools. I assume that there must be certain criteria which have to be reached in order to qualify for reach Scotland.
    I know very little about it (my school isn't part of it). Perhaps schools have very few higher level candidates or a high truant count? All in all, it is fair in the end- otherwise the Scottish government wouldn't allow it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Corrupt

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaitlinDy)
    I know very little about it (my school isn't part of it). Perhaps schools have very few higher level candidates or a high truant count? All in all, it is fair in the end- otherwise the Scottish government wouldn't allow it

Posted from TSR Mobile

fair enough, however, just because the Scottish government authorise it, it doesn't mean its fair... but I accept your point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    Roughly,

GCSE = National 5/Intermediate 2 (being phased out)/Standard grade (now a thing of the past)

AS = Higher

A2 = Advanced Higher

It is worth noting that unlike the A level system, your Higher and Advanced Higher qualifications are completely separate from eachother.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks From Sept 2015 AS-Level and A-Level will also be separate qualifications, not that it matters but just saying.

ReputationRep:
    For my results I got an A for Advanced Higher Computing, a C in Advanced Higher Maths and an A in Higher Spanish, which is exactly what I thought I'd get.

I already an unconditional offer so I wasn't too worried at all although I did have that anxiousness of wanting to now how I had done so I'd say I was a 2 or 3 on opening my results letter by myself. It didn't help that my postman comes at about 3pm, which is later than all of my friends. :L

Now that I have them I have to say I am relatively please with them and I can't wait to go to Uni next month and start studying Software Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, MySQA results, online, contain the following.

However, I did not sit the exams for English or Philosophy. Any idea why Philosophy shows up as a current course and why English shows up as Grade F?

Attached Images

• Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldendays)
    Hi, MySQA results, online, contain the following.

However, I did not sit the exams for English or Philosophy. Any idea why Philosophy shows up as a current course and why English shows up as Grade F?

This is a mystery. Will need to get our super fab SQA rep to help you out on this one!

(Original post by mysqa)
    x
    Help us Obi SAM Kenobi. You're our only hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hype en ecosse)

help us obi sam kenobi. You're our only hope.
    lol, PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    Just in case anyone wanted to know more about it, my school's involved with the Reach programme so I might be able to pass on some information. I go to a fairly poor school; very few of the teachers make an effort to actually teach since they're so focused on keeping the demanding kids in line. We very rarely get people going off to the likes of Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews at all. In fact, it's not common for us to even apply to university because we typically just don't get the chance to achieve. Anyway, I was involved as a potential Law candidate and applicant, though I'll probably be kicked off it now with my disappointingly poor grades.

Basically, Reach exists to help very able students from poorer, low achieving schools to get into high demand profession degree courses where competition is particularly high eg. Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine and Law. It runs at five 'sister' universities which I believe are Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, St Andrews and Aberdeen.

From S4-S6 (I think...it might be earlier), you are introduced to the course(s) you are interested in and gather information of what is required of you. I'm not sure if it's still the same, but I also had to write small Personal Statements and an Assignment or two. Not that that's all that much for what we get in return! These tasks and assignments are 'judged' and recorded, as is our participation at Reach events, on our Reach Profiles which are kept on uni systems and are considered alongside our applications with the idea being that we are, in theory, more prepared and ready for the course, thus increasing our chances of getting an offer.

I realise that loads of people are angry that we get the opportunity and I understand why that is, but you've also got to bear in mind that even our schools have little experience with helping us apply to these courses, never mind anything else. Reach helps us by giving us advice about personal statements, the UKCAT/LNAT, what the courses are actually like etc. I went to the campus week at Glasgow University in June and absolutely loved it, benefitting enormously. It's all about widening participation in Higher Education, which is in itself a controversial idea for some.

Wow, did not mean for this to be so long! Oh well, hope this was useful to someone! Any questions about it, I'm happy to help if I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Milk Thief)
    Just in case anyone wanted to know more about it, my school's involved with the Reach programme so I might be able to pass on some information. I go to a fairly poor school; very few of the teachers make an effort to actually teach since they're so focused on keeping the demanding kids in line. We very rarely get people going off to the likes of Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews at all. In fact, it's not common for us to even apply to university because we typically just don't get the chance to achieve. Anyway, I was involved as a potential Law candidate and applicant, though I'll probably be kicked off it now with my disappointingly poor grades.

Basically, Reach exists to help very able students from poorer, low achieving schools to get into high demand profession degree courses where competition is particularly high eg. Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine and Law. It runs at five 'sister' universities which I believe are Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, St Andrews and Aberdeen.

From S4-S6 (I think...it might be earlier), you are introduced to the course(s) you are interested in and gather information of what is required of you. I'm not sure if it's still the same, but I also had to write small Personal Statements and an Assignment or two. Not that that's all that much for what we get in return! These tasks and assignments are 'judged' and recorded, as is our participation at Reach events, on our Reach Profiles which are kept on uni systems and are considered alongside our applications with the idea being that we are, in theory, more prepared and ready for the course, thus increasing our chances of getting an offer.

I realise that loads of people are angry that we get the opportunity and I understand why that is, but you've also got to bear in mind that even our schools have little experience with helping us apply to these courses, never mind anything else. Reach helps us by giving us advice about personal statements, the UKCAT/LNAT, what the courses are actually like etc. I went to the campus week at Glasgow University in June and absolutely loved it, benefitting enormously. It's all about widening participation in Higher Education, which is in itself a controversial idea for some.

Wow, did not mean for this to be so long! Oh well, hope this was useful to someone! Any questions about it, I'm happy to help if I can.
    Hi, I spoke to a lady at school who was part of LEAPS which my school is with, she talked to me about Reach as I am applying for Law LLB 2015 Entry - however I never really done much about this programme. Am I too late to begin it? I have the grades for the likes of Edinburgh and Glasgow (unless they give me a cond. at the latter) so would I benefit from Reach much? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeschichteJunge)
    Hi, I spoke to a lady at school who was part of LEAPS which my school is with, she talked to me about Reach as I am applying for Law LLB 2015 Entry - however I never really done much about this programme. Am I too late to begin it? I have the grades for the likes of Edinburgh and Glasgow (unless they give me a cond. at the latter) so would I benefit from Reach much? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey, I would speak to which ever teacher deals with the Reach Group at your school. You'd definitely still benefit from it (the S6 section is specifically about applying and making your application stand out, what they look for in a Personal Statement etc., plus it never hurts to have groups like this on your side as Law is sooo competitive), it just means your Reach profile won't be as full as some others. A girl from my school started on the programme late last year as she was just picking up Chemistry (she wants to do Dentistry). So yeah, I'm not sure if you're too late, but definitely speak to your teacher as soon as you get back to see what they can do for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Milk Thief)
    Hey, I would speak to which ever teacher deals with the Reach Group at your school. You'd definitely still benefit from it (the S6 section is specifically about applying and making your application stand out, what they look for in a Personal Statement etc., plus it never hurts to have groups like this on your side as Law is sooo competitive), it just means your Reach profile won't be as full as some others. A girl from my school started on the programme late last year as she was just picking up Chemistry (she wants to do Dentistry). So yeah, I'm not sure if you're too late, but definitely speak to your teacher as soon as you get back to see what they can do for you
    Okay, great! Thanks I'll email the school!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambry)
    Don't panic. From the law freshers page and chat this year, everyone has a real mix of grades. Try to have a busy sixth year with quite a few subjects so that you can try and improve your grades and build on what you have... Try to get work experience and read law related books.

You could always apply to a range of choices and have some more difficult ones (like Edinburgh and Glasgow) as two choices, but perhaps easier universities (RGU, Napier, etc) as your other choices.
    Thanks for the reassurance, I'll be sure to check that thread out. I'm taking Adv maths/history and higher economics/modern studies. Yeah I have a course called 'Your future in Law' coming up in October which I'm sure is supported by Edinburgh Uni, but I'll be sure to pick up some other work experience as well.

ReputationRep:
    Regarding the "Post Results Service": will teachers submit a marking review on your behalf? Or will you have to ask them? And what if they won't file one, is there anything you can do?

I was one mark off an A in Higher French and two marks off of a B in Higher Chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrFulton1)
    Regarding the "Post Results Service": will teachers submit a marking review on your behalf? Or will you have to ask them? And what if they won't file one, is there anything you can do?

I was one mark off an A in Higher French and two marks off of a B in Higher Chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm so gutted being four marks off of making my conditional. I need to wait for the school to make a decision on whether to request a re-mark.

Either way I'm not holding out much hope as although four marks is close, its a lot to find in a re-mark.

Cant believe I am set back a year over what could be 10 words on a page!

ReputationRep:
    Some of you may be experiencing problems with the MySQA site on iExplorer and Chrome. Our elves are working on it. Sorry if you're affected!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the percentages for getting As for Highers this year?
    I got Bs in French, Biology and Chemistry and I'm not sure if I should get the papers remarked or not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.