Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djavor)
    I thought Manchester was my worst interview, swear I was just writing rubbish and I ended up with an offer so there's definitely hope!
    Well fingers crossed this is the case for me hehe. Track is now down until Monday so I won't hear anything until then. Grrr!

ReputationRep:
    Is this your first time going to uni? If this was my first time then I'd definitely choose Manchester.. But I obviously I have a loan to pay back and stuff so I'm worrying about the finances of moving to such a big place for 4 years :/
    Yes it'll be my first time going to uni, feels really strange doing it older!

ReputationRep:
    How do we apply for the NHS funding? Do we get letters? Or can we only do it when we have been confirmed a place on the course?

My offer is conditional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzydizzyyy)
    Thank you so much for sharing that with me! luckily I know that either way I'll enjoy the course, it's just still a big decision to decide where to live for 3 1/2 years!!! Plus I did not realise that DMU does not provide dysphagia training - which has kind of threw me as I was close to thinking I would firm them! But now I feel as though Marjon is more appealing. How are yours going? Good luck!
    I think the lady doing the presentation at DMU did touch on their dysphagia studies, though how in-depth they go I'm unsure. I do know they offer an MSc level module on Dysphagia, but you can only apply on to that after you've graduated and have worked for 6 months I think -- I remember that from the Open Day.

I only applied to DMU. It's nearest to me and I don't have the ability to live elsewhere for several years. Plus I'm still paying off student loans in Canada, so the more money I can potentially save, the better. I'll be in my 30s when I graduate.

I think the most difficult part of this for me is leaving my job/money to become a student again! Is anyone else planning on working through their course? I like the income from my job, but I don't think I can make it work with going to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TiramisuGoomba)
    I think the lady doing the presentation at DMU did touch on their dysphagia studies, though how in-depth they go I'm unsure. I do know they offer an MSc level module on Dysphagia, but you can only apply on to that after you've graduated and have worked for 6 months I think -- I remember that from the Open Day.

I only applied to DMU. It's nearest to me and I don't have the ability to live elsewhere for several years. Plus I'm still paying off student loans in Canada, so the more money I can potentially save, the better. I'll be in my 30s when I graduate.

I think the most difficult part of this for me is leaving my job/money to become a student again! Is anyone else planning on working through their course? I like the income from my job, but I don't think I can make it work with going to uni.
    I'm confused as to whether the dysphagia that they cover would enable you to work in that setting or not though? Yeah fair enough - DMU does look like an amazing uni! I may well end up there too I will have to give up my jobs too which will be hard to just live off of a loan...but I don't think working alongside the course would really be possible since it is apparently very intense!

ReputationRep:
    How do we apply for the NHS funding? Do we get letters? Or can we only do it when we have been confirmed a place on the course?

My offer is conditional.
    I think you have to wait until early March when this financial year is over. Then if you google NHS bursary/funding a website should come up where it will take you through the process I think.. Although not looked properly into it myself yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madagascar)
    Yes it'll be my first time going to uni, feels really strange doing it older!
    Age/maturity is certainly not a disadvantage though in this course/profession

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloejaneedwards)
    Hey. I've made BCU my firm choice and just wondering whether anyone would be doing the same? Looking into accommodation and just wanted to know where most people would be heading. Also congratulations for anyone recieving offers!
    I'm hopefully going to BCU, but I will be commuting. I think quite a lot of the health related course students live on the South accommodation as it makes life easier, especially in the morning! I don't know if you know Birmingham, but the City is about 20 minutes away, via either a bus or a train and there's accommodation there. Hopefully will see you in September.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone confirm if I'll defo be able to get a reduced maintenance loan for this course even if I have a degree?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone confirm if I'll defo be able to get a reduced maintenance loan for this course even if I have a degree?
    Yep! I asked student finance England on this website and they said that since it attracts an NHS Bursary everyone is eligible for a maintenance loan, even if you had a student loan previously. Not looking forward to dealing with student finance again!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to everyone who's received offers, you must be so excited!
    I'm still waiting to hear back from BCU. I sent off my application in December and they still haven't got back to me. When I phoned up last month and then again yesterday all they had to say was that my application is still being processed. I feel like the tutor who's meant to process my application has just forgotten about it or something! Sorry for rambling, I just really don't know what I should do and the waiting is wearing me down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FizMalik)
    Congratulations to everyone who's received offers, you must be so excited!
    I'm still waiting to hear back from BCU. I sent off my application in December and they still haven't got back to me. When I phoned up last month and then again yesterday all they had to say was that my application is still being processed. I feel like the tutor who's meant to process my application has just forgotten about it or something! Sorry for rambling, I just really don't know what I should do and the waiting is wearing me down
    Hi, try not to let it get you down too much (easier said than done I know!). I was in a pretty similar situation to you as I had applied in November and didn't hear a thing until two months later in January! I also had called up Admissions a number of times and was told my application was being processed, but eventually an invite to interview did come through yay! I spoke to admissions recently and was told that they have interview dates coming up pretty much every week in March so look out for yours hopefully coming through soon !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HowayGuapa)
    Yep! I asked student finance England on this website and they said that since it attracts an NHS Bursary everyone is eligible for a maintenance loan, even if you had a student loan previously. Not looking forward to dealing with student finance again!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tell me about it was hard enough the first time round slightly worried about how I'm gonna fund 3.5/4 years again but guess it'll be worth it in the end cos I'll be doing a job I enjoy

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it was hard enough the first time round slightly worried about how I'm gonna fund 3.5/4 years again but guess it'll be worth it I'm the end cos I'll be doing a job I enjoy
    Dealing with student finance England is the easier part - apart from providing a copy of your nhs bursary entitlement they don't need any other evidence - its dealing with the nhs that requires more effort - evidence such as passport earnings etc etc has to be sent through the post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaaySLT)
    Hi, try not to let it get you down too much (easier said than done I know!). I was in a pretty similar situation to you as I had applied in November and didn't hear a thing until two months later in January! I also had called up Admissions a number of times and was told my application was being processed, but eventually an invite to interview did come through yay! I spoke to admissions recently and was told that they have interview dates coming up pretty much every week in March so look out for yours hopefully coming through soon !!
    Hey, yeah i'm trying to not let it worry me but like you said it's not as easy as that. I do feel relieved knowing that other people are going through a similar situation though and that it's not just me. Well done on your interview! I hope you do fab! And thank you I really do hope that i get an interview for march!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly9595)
    Not quite right - fees are paid for, but there's no NHS bursary grant available

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really?! Is not if you're Scottish though?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to you! I hope you hear soon I was in the AM group on Tuesday. Which were you?

It was my transcripts they wanted - I can get them. I submitted my actual degrees (scans).

Yes it looks like we will be, if I meet the conditions on my offer. I will be commuting from home, since DMU is nearby-ish.

To everyone else still waiting - I am thinking good thoughts for all of you and hope you hear good news!!
    What are your conditions haha?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Higlet)
    Haha the accent!! It's something I'm going to have to learn to deal with! I'm not necessarily bothered about nights out (I'm not really a drinker haha)

I feel like Manchester seems more fresh whereas Birmingham seems a bit more grungy (lol I don't think that's a word ha!)

I'm so annoyed at Leeds - I'd have loved Newcastle (love the city!) but I don't have biology at AS or A2 so I wouldn't have got in!

Birminghams slightly further from home distance wise, but if you take into consideration traffic on the way to Manchester it's about the same time distance!

Are you definitely going for DMU even if Leeds reply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I feel like I'm really happy with DMU and they've been so organised and it's half a year less! However, if I were to get an interview I think I'd still go to give it a chance; but I'm not sure I would wanna go to a uni where they didn't really want me, if that makes sense? Dmu obviously do, so I feel a bit more appreciated :.(

ah, okay fair enough! Even as a city in general I'd prefer Manchester for shopping and links etc.

yeah i I am the same with Newcastle, the biology put me off.

ReputationRep:
    DMU have given offers from interviews this month and I'm still waiting to hear back from my december interview- starting to get worried really want it to be my insurance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConMS)
    Oh! What University is this for? I applied for BCU in November and I still haven't heard back!

Hey Sorry to hear about that. I am student, at BCU which course you apply to? do you call anyone? let me know so I can help

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.