Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdaman93)
    Yeh, it's between them and Queen Mary's, I think.
    I'm in a similar situation: 747.5 UKCAT (820 VR), 1st in Physiology and Pharmacology but I don't have the work exp for Warwick :'(
    I'm applying for Newcastle, Kings, Soton and Barts

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoeADeer)
    Currently writing my personal statement... When writing about work experience, have you mentioned specific medical cases you observed and what you've learned from them or just what you've learnt from the work experience overall? Thanks
    It depends on what you learnt from the observations, if there was a specific case that really stood out to you and taught you new things then definitely mention it (in my opinion) as it will help add some personality to your statement otherwise just write what you learnt overall if there wasn't an interesting stand out case.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what the Vr cut off for Warwick was last year? And the work experience does payed employment count or is it strictly voluntary?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pharma21)
    Anyone know what the Vr cut off for Warwick was last year? And the work experience does payed employment count or is it strictly voluntary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    VR was 570 last year, it's just the national mean, will be national mean again this year according to their site.

Any work experience counts in a caring environment counts AFAIK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pharma21)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Above the mean for the year I believe, which was 571 last year.
    And they take voluntary and/or paid work experience.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a couple of people on here saying they think the averages will be higher this year, is that the general feeling?I swear decision analysis must have gone down! And VR cant be that much higher?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elzw)
    I've seen a couple of people on here saying they think the averages will be higher this year, is that the general feeling?I swear decision analysis must have gone down! And VR cant be that much higher?
    Only 5 more days until we know ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanaGEM)
    Only 5 more days until we know ...
    eep i know i'm just so bad for overanalysing ha. Are you planning on applying for a backup 5 year course?

ReputationRep:
    On Bristols website they state " Graduate applicants will generally be expected to have gained at least 4 months of work experience in a caring role in a health care environment, which must have included patient contact." Does anyone know whether this applies to students in their third year of their undergrad degree?? Because I can't see when you would have time to work for 4 months whilst studying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoeADeer)
    Currently writing my personal statement... When writing about work experience, have you mentioned specific medical cases you observed and what you've learned from them or just what you've learnt from the work experience overall? Thanks
    I wrote about a caesarean I saw, mainly for the huge multidisciplinary team involved and how I saw it being managed. Then wrote about how I've exhibited these skills in other areas.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elzw)
    From that data I've collected from TSR, I'm expecting the average to be slightly lower than last year. Like you said, people seem to be scoring worse in VR and DA, but slightly better than previous years in QR; I'm thinking the net impact will a slight decrease in the mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    From that data I've collected from TSR, I'm expecting the average to be slightly lower than last year. Like you said, people seem to be scoring worse in VR and DA, but slightly better than previous years in QR; I'm thinking the net impact will a slight decrease in the mean.
    Thats what I was thinking too, I hope we're right! Good luck with your application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clunkles)
    I wrote about a caesarean I saw, mainly for the huge multidisciplinary team involved and how I saw it being managed. Then wrote about how I've exhibited these skills in other areas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was wondering about this, but I have had some many awesome experiences its hard to choose just one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazzleLight)
    On Bristols website they state " Graduate applicants will generally be expected to have gained at least 4 months of work experience in a caring role in a health care environment, which must have included patient contact." Does anyone know whether this applies to students in their third year of their undergrad degree?? Because I can't see when you would have time to work for 4 months whilst studying
    More than likely yes... I worked full time in my UG and also working 15hrs a week during medical school. It's do-able and plenty of students work term time and in holidays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lcsurfer)
    More than likely yes... I worked full time in my UG and also working 15hrs a week during medical school. It's do-able and plenty of students work term time and in holidays
    Very good to know this, how have you found managing a job while at med school? I'm considering keeping a bank contract (if I get in) so I have money to eat ...

ReputationRep:
    If there is an increase in UKCAT scores, I would imagine it would be very small. They rewrote the algorithms for calculating the scores last year. I would imagine the point of that was to prevent/slow the increase which had been happening in previous years. Might be wrong, though!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know
    • the UKCAT cut off for Newcastle last year?
    • the UKCAT cutt off for Southampton last year?
    • if Barts and Warwick still have the same joint selection day?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdaman93)
    Does anyone know
    • if Barts and Warwick still have the same joint selection day?
    Thanks!
    Not anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J1mmy)
    Well, I'm out for the third time.

VR - 540
    QR - 750
    AR - 660
    DA - 610
    AVERAGE: 640, B1

Was planning on applying to Warwick as my first choice since my Masters will compensate for my low score. I know that last year the lowest score w/ MSc was about 680, and I'm conflicted on whether I should invest another 2 weeks preparing an application, which I'm sure will be rejected.

I can say having experienced this over 3 years that the AR and DA, at least in my case, has become harder. Both sections were my highest with the official mocks.
    I'm the same, out this year :-/ are you applying next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.