Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    Don't think it was a matter of form tbh, we just wern't set up properly and the lack of quality in our CM's was evident once they were pressured and unable to retain and distribute the ball further up the field. Didn't help that there was zero chemistry between Benteke and Firmino either.
    Yeah. Fully fit Sturridge and Coutinho would have torn us to shreds tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    I think the key thing with Lallana is his ability to play on the half-turn. Yesterday, we were almost like two five-a-side teams at points. We were too fragmented, disjointed and lacked fluidity.

We had nobody linking us from defence to attack, as Milner seemed too deep and inconsequential. I think Lallana would have been crucial to any success we had yesterday.

Of course, it was up to Klopp. He sees the players every day on the training pitch, and judged he was perhaps too tired or not ready for another start. He played so well against Southampton, though, and that was great to see. He sucked up the hatred and it seemed to fuel him on, bar one or two overhit corner kicks.

Still, I don't want to overanalyse it too much. Just as we shouldn't be getting worked up over a couple of wins, we can't read too much into a defeat against a side which needed a victory.

These things happen, and it's early days for Klopp. Football gives you a wide range of emotions, and we've experienced all of them within one week it seems.
    Yea we've seen some of the best Klopp can offer but there's obviously going to be some teething issues before we find some consistency. 12 points out of 12 in the next 4 games wouldn't go amiss though

(Original post by scriggy)
    Yeah. Fully fit Sturridge and Coutinho would have torn us to shreds tbh.
    I think an early first goal and Newcastle would've crumbled like a deck of cards.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    I think an early first goal and Newcastle would've crumbled like a deck of cards.
    As I said, it was a first goal type of game. Any suggestion that it would have been easy to claw back after going behind was ill-judged, I think. They may not be good at holding leads, but given the context of the game and the narrative surrounding it, they were always going to defend for their lives should they take the lead. And they duly did.

I was really enjoying football under Klopp, and yesterday's match was probably the only time since Rodgers departed that I've hated watching us. Even in the Southampton draw at Anfield, and the Palace defeat, I enjoyed our brand of football and the style we exhibited.

ReputationRep:
    As I said, it was a first goal type of game. Any suggestion that it would have been easy to claw back after going behind was ill-judged, I think. They may not be good at holding leads, but given the context of the game and the narrative surrounding it, they were always going to defend for their lives should they take the lead. And they duly did.

I was really enjoying football under Klopp, and yesterday's match was probably the only time since Rodgers departed that I've hated watching us. Even in the Southampton draw at Anfield, and the Palace defeat, I enjoyed our brand of football and the style we exhibited.
    I don't think the pitch or weather helped the quality of the game either. That said, it sounded like we were slack all over the pitch.

Thursday probably won't be much better if we play lots of kids and fringe players.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    I don't think the pitch or weather helped the quality of the game either. That said, it sounded like we were slack all over the pitch.

Thursday probably won't be much better if we play lots of kids and fringe players.
    See, I actually think Lallana may have handled the pitch better than some. He is used to playing on poorer pitches, given his journey from the lower leagues to the PL. I think he'd have suited it better than Firmino. Ibe is the same, having played in the second tier for a while.

ReputationRep:
    See, I actually think Lallana may have handled the pitch better than some. He is used to playing on poorer pitches, given his journey from the lower leagues to the PL. I think he'd have suited it better than Firmino. Ibe is the same, having played in the second tier for a while.
    So upset about Moreno's goal being ruled offside. Not because it would've given us the draw/potentially win but because that would've been a goal of the season contender.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Exeter away
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Exeter away is a shame, given that I have ACS and an automatic seat in the Kop for every home match during the FA Cup.

That said, I'll enjoy seeing us at a relatively different ground.

Last time we met, Suarez helped us beat them 3-1. How I still long for him...

ReputationRep:
    Benteke was a bag of potatoes. He is a great striker, but does not fit into Klopps system. Very static and slow!! Firmino and Benteke's partnership just doesn't work! Love klopp, but he got it wrong with midfield too, there was no linking midfield with the attack shows how much Can's presence is needed!! Dont get me started on 'welsh Xavi' Joe frickin Allen!!! UGH overall cant plant the blame on individual performance, whole team was crap. Oh well great that the other clubs dropped pts too, onwards and upwards! YNWA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisIsNotMyNamex)
    Benteke was a bag of potatoes. He is a great striker, but does not fit into Klopps system. Very static and slow!! Firmino and Benteke's partnership just doesn't work! Love klopp, but he got it wrong with midfield too, there was no linking midfield with the attack shows how much Can's presence is needed!! Dont get me started on 'welsh Xavi' Joe frickin Allen!!! UGH overall cant plant the blame on individual performance, whole team was crap. Oh well great that the other clubs dropped pts too, onwards and upwards! YNWA.
    Can was suspended and only had an unfit Henderson on the bench. Klopp didn't have much choice with the midfield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    Can was suspended and only had an unfit Henderson on the bench. Klopp didn't have much choice with the midfield.
    Still think hendo should have been subbed in at half time!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Allen had a good game on Sunday. One of the few players you can say that of.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    We're after Marko Grujic apparently for £5m.

Also Sturridge is injured again according to rumours

ReputationRep:
    Grujic must be something special.

We have Can, Rossiter, Teixeira, Brannagan, Allan, Chirivella all in his position and of similar ages.

ReputationRep:
    Sturridge is injured again, it's actually passed the point of a joke now. Sell him to United.

ReputationRep:
    Scenes when we meet United in EL

Also Sturridge lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Scenes when we meet United in EL

Also Sturridge lol.
    You would probably batter us. So please no.
    Can we even meet in the next round or is the round after?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seabear11)
    You would probably batter us. So please no.
    Can we even meet in the next round or is the round after?
    You've already beaten us this season to be honest.

Not sure how it works really; somebody on here will know though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    In the draw for the round of 32, the twelve group winners in the Europa Lague and the four third-placed teams from the Champions League group stage with the better group records are seeded, and the twelve group runners-up and the other four third-placed teams from the Champions League group stage are unseeded.

United will be seeded, and we should win the group, so we won't meet.

ReputationRep:
    Klopp will surely have to adjust the team to Benteke now, Sturridge can't be relied upon anymore. Origi is still young and Ings aint coming back till the end of the season.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.