Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unique_freak)
    the structure of my last duchess has no individual stanzas, this could be representative of his everlasting power, he begins talking about 'his' last duchess which shows that he is indeed very possessive and is evident in other parts of the poem , towards the end of the poem he changes subject and talks about a different piece of art, this is ambiguous, it could mean that he enjoys having a collection of art as he controls the amount of power he has over it and how much money and power he has because he can afford and own such art, however it could just him showing that the painting and discussion of his last duchess is a distraction and shows how insignificant he is and how much he lacks emotion as we believe he killed her.
    Through out the poem he tries to use chatty language, again this is ambiguous as it could be him trying to show the visitor that he tried and acted his best around her and was very nice to her and may want the visitors sympathy, or it could be him trying to make the visitor feel uneasy by him being chatty and casual about something as serious as death shows that he has so much power that he can literally do anything and get away with it and that something such as killing someone does not even show just how much power he has. If you want anymore help with character and voice poems i am more than ready to help

Very insightful. You got anything about Casehistory, please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan075)
    Yeah they would be alright actually tbh.

Just a bit of revision here:

LGS is about treatment of women and status [Links to The Last Duchess]

River God is about Arrogance, being shunned by society and having an omnipotent rule, as in a dictatorship [Links to Ozymandias]

Agreed?
    Definitely agree with River God, though I was told by my teacher to compare LGS to Medusa because, in both, they are upset at the way in which their relationship has ended up. Also, in LGS the narrator becomes controlled by her husband which she doesn't like. Medusa also shows anger at being controlled. General ideas about 'posession' in both as well.

That being said - I always believed that link was a bit weak, and I believe The Last Duchess would likely be a stronger comparison. I'd stick with that if your confident enough with it.

ReputationRep:
    have any of the poems ever appeared twice for Character and voice? I went through the papers on the website, however only found that each poem has only appeared once. Will they repeat poems?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichardPG)
    Definitely agree with River God, though I was told by my teacher to compare LGS to Medusa because, in both, they are upset at the way in which their relationship has ended up. Also, in LGS the narrator becomes controlled by her husband which she doesn't like. Medusa also shows anger at being controlled. General ideas about 'posession' in both as well.

That being said - I always believed that link was a bit weak, and I believe The Last Duchess would likely be a stronger comparison. I'd stick with that if your confident enough with it.
    My teacher linked Medusa with Horse Whisperer because they both explore feelings of anger. Horse Whisperer additionally explores pride, whereas Medusa explores feelings of lament and bitterness

Though, if you're confident with your links, stick with them as well. Not a great idea to change the day before the exam!

ReputationRep:
    In character & voice, what poem is "Give", paired with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan075)
    Very insightful. You got anything about Casehistory, please?
    The theme is about loss, it is ironic because it is about the loss of her former self. The title 'Casehistory:Alison' Is like a doctors report, the poet says 'Alison' instead of 'my' to distance her self from her former past as if 'alsion' is a completely new person.
    The stanzas are quite spaced out and only contain 3 lines each this could represent that she no longer feels whole and that she feels quite lost and is trying to develop a new being of her self but so far is finding it very difficult.
    Through out the poem the poet constantly refers to to alison as being in the past , example 'a bright girl she was' The poet uses past tense -'was'- to show that she no longer exists, the poet describes alison in a nice way which shows that the poet almost feels sorry for her that she no longer exists.
    Through out the poem the poet only describes alison based on a picture, this is ambiguous as it could show that she is trying to regain some sort of missing piece of herself to become whole again, or it could mean that the poet is trying to show how insignificant alisons life is now and how it can be summed up all in one picture.
    In each stanza when she is talking about alison she uses a long line, this could represent that her life had meaning and how good clear it was. However when she refers back to her new self, she used short lines, this could represent that her life is simple now, she does enjoy any of lifes complexities, her life has no meaning, just one , memory loss, and how she can sum up her new insignificant life quite easily now which makes her feel inferior to her former self.
    At the end of the poem she says 'Poor clever girl! ' the poet is almost shouting at the reader making it clear that she truly sorry for her, however the constant repetition of the girls achievements through out the poem could show that she is jealous or that she no longer cares and find all of her achievements quite annoying now as she will never be able to compare to them. She then says ' I know for all my damaged brain, something she does not' The poet is trying to make herself feel better my showing that she is better than alison in one way, even though alsion may be smart and a job, she knows her future, this boosts her confidence as she feels she can now compare to alison as she has an edge over her- she is in competition with herself. She belittles her self by saying she is her future, she is indirectly refering to her self as a horrible future. the ending 'a bright girl she was' is ambiguous' it could embody the message of the poem - the loss of herself- of it could be sarcastic, as if alison was so smart how could she not know what her future held?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone at all know poems will come up for character and voice? or just have a hunch on what poems could come up, also if anyone thinks they need help with poems in c&v i dont mind help,also if anyone has any insightful interpretations of any poems could u tell me pls? id be very grateful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Candidate724)
    CAN I GET SOME HELP REGARDING THE POEMS MOST LIKELY TO COME UP FOR CHARACTER AND VOICE:

Les Grands Seigneurs
    Case history: Alison (Head Injury)
    Horse Whisperer
    WHAT ELSE!!!

ALSO PLEASE CAN SOMEONE POST A LIST OF ALL THE POEMS THAT HAVE ALREADY COME UP
    Horse whisperer won't be there it was on jan 2013 paper but what u said is right those are likely to come up and also the river god and portrait of a deaf man

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unique_freak)
    The theme is about loss, it is ironic because it is about the loss of her former self. The title 'Casehistory:Alison' Is like a doctors report, the poet says 'Alison' instead of 'my' to distance her self from her former past as if 'alsion' is a completely new person.
    The stanzas are quite spaced out and only contain 3 lines each this could represent that she no longer feels whole and that she feels quite lost and is trying to develop a new being of her self but so far is finding it very difficult.
    Through out the poem the poet constantly refers to to alison as being in the past , example 'a bright girl she was' The poet uses past tense -'was'- to show that she no longer exists, the poet describes alison in a nice way which shows that the poet almost feels sorry for her that she no longer exists.
    Through out the poem the poet only describes alison based on a picture, this is ambiguous as it could show that she is trying to regain some sort of missing piece of herself to become whole again, or it could mean that the poet is trying to show how insignificant alisons life is now and how it can be summed up all in one picture.
    In each stanza when she is talking about alison she uses a long line, this could represent that her life had meaning and how good clear it was. However when she refers back to her new self, she used short lines, this could represent that her life is simple now, she does enjoy any of lifes complexities, her life has no meaning, just one , memory loss, and how she can sum up her new insignificant life quite easily now which makes her feel inferior to her former self.
    At the end of the poem she says 'Poor clever girl! ' the poet is almost shouting at the reader making it clear that she truly sorry for her, however the constant repetition of the girls achievements through out the poem could show that she is jealous or that she no longer cares and find all of her achievements quite annoying now as she will never be able to compare to them. She then says ' I know for all my damaged brain, something she does not' The poet is trying to make herself feel better my showing that she is better than alison in one way, even though alsion may be smart and a job, she knows her future, this boosts her confidence as she feels she can now compare to alison as she has an edge over her- she is in competition with herself. She belittles her self by saying she is her future, she is indirectly refering to her self as a horrible future. the ending 'a bright girl she was' is ambiguous' it could embody the message of the poem - the loss of herself- of it could be sarcastic, as if alison was so smart how could she not know what her future held?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Can i get some help for the poems most likely to come up for place:

Does anyone have a list of all the poems that have already come up

ReputationRep:
    I've looked around on this thread a lot trying to piece together what ones people think would come up for conflict. People are saying a range of different things and it's making me worried, seeing as though it is tomorrow

Does anyone know what poems they strongly feel is going to come up for the conflict cluster?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom_97)
    Can i get some help for the poems most likely to come up for place:

Does anyone have a list of all the poems that have already come up
    My teacher gave me a list of poems that have come up already:

June 2011 Higher: Wind, London
    June 2011 Foundation: London, Storm in the Black Forest
    January 2012 Higher: Below the Green Corrie, Storm in the Black Forest
    January 2012 Foundation: Cold Knap Lake, Wind
    June 2012 Higher: Hard Water, Neighbours
    June 2012 Foundation: The Moment, The Wild Swans at Coole
    Jan 2013 Higher: Prelude, The Moment

Not sure whether a poem appearing in the foundation paper affects whether or not it will appear in the higher one though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben-jamin)
    I've looked around on this thread a lot trying to piece together what ones people think would come up for conflict. People are saying a range of different things and it's making me worried, seeing as though it is tomorrow

Does anyone know what poems they strongly feel is going to come up for the conflict cluster?

Thanks
    There is someone on this thread called Jack59. He has the past paper questions for all sections of the anthology (c&v, place, conflict, relationships. He also has predictions as to what might come up. May be worth an ask? Best of luck with it though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben-jamin)

Thanks
    OOTB, Hawk roosting.. the yeallow palm or come on come back

at least one of them should come up -- since they havent so far

ryan

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing relationships does anyone know what poems are likely to come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yazzieee)
    I'm doing relationships does anyone know what poems are likely to come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People in other forums are saying that To His Coy Mistress, Ghazal and The Farmer's Bride are the ones most likely to come up in the Higher paper, but that's purely speculation; unless someone has a systematic way of predicting which ones are going to come up, I don't know what to suggest really I'm just revising all of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanb97)
    my 1st post : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0#post42718490

thanks.. i think i will need it

how do you think you did in unit 1 ... on monday?

ryan
    Same, I'm just completely dreading it. Especially as I've ot my P3 exam tomorrow morning:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenF2409)
    AIC Question was alright but TKAM question was awful.

Goodbye, A*.
    Totally agree. I mean TKAMB was ridiculous, it was probably the worst possible passage!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feathersong)
    People in other forums are saying that To His Coy Mistress, Ghazal and The Farmer's Bride are the ones most likely to come up in the Higher paper, but that's purely speculation; unless someone has a systematic way of predicting which ones are going to come up, I don't know what to suggest really I'm just revising all of them
    Well, Hour, Sister Maude and In Paris with you AREN'T going to come up? They're only for foundation tier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feathersong)
    the farmers bride came up in jan so basically has no chance of coming up now

(Original post by Maaliyah)
    Well, Hour, Sister Maude and In Paris with you AREN'T going to come up? They're only for foundation tier.
    Hour is a higher tier question, however, it came up in jan so is again very unlikely to come up again
    Brothers is the other foundation poem

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.