Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Guess people don't learn. Henry, Pires and Vieira were branded 'unknown' French players when they arrived and look at how that one turned out
    Maybe Vieira was unknown but, Henry was a world cup winner.

(Original post by alexsong)
    Henry and Pires were capped for France and Vieira was signed by Milan at 20 as one of the best prospects in Europe having captained a Ligue 1 side at 19 before we bought them. Nothing like some 20 yr old permacrock from the second division in France
    Sanogo has an injury record?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Maybe Vieira was unknown but, Henry was a world cup winner.

Sanogo has an injury record?
    Yeah he played 11 league games this season and 7 the season before

(Original post by 419)
    People just need to exercise some willpower and not take the bait.

Anyone that's watch 1 minute of a Chelsea's match knows that they don't play route 1 to torres/ ba.

On the Sanogo deal, he's obviously another one for the future, really hoped we'd be done with such signings, but seems like there'll be no transfer fee invovled (maybe training fees?) so, might as well take a punt.
    I would think he'd be a third-choice striker - or second-choice at best - so it seems fair enough to have a promising young striker for that. From YouTube, I quite like the type of play he seems to be - clearly still very raw, but he seems to be able to think quite quickly, which I think is important here. He'll also have the essential settling-in time that Giroud never got.

(Original post by Sufistic)
    Apparently we're in "advanced" talks to sign Yaya Sanogo. He's from Ligue 2, 20 years old. We really need to stop buying these mediocre French players!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What makes you think he's mediocre? :holmes:

Yeah he played 11 league games this season and 7 the season before
    He had his tibia fractured during the 2010-2011 season according to Wikipedia - has there been much more? I thought his low number of appearances was because he's only just breaking through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    He had his tibia fractured during the 2010-2011 season according to Wikipedia - has there been much more? I thought his low number of appearances was because he's only just breaking through.
    This is from the mirror's "resident Ligue 1 expert"

In 2010 after impressing for French U19 side he suffered a double break of his leg playing for Auxerre reserves, which ended his season. By the start of the 2011 season he had successfully recovered, was playing again for the first team and earned a call up for the French U21 side.

Everything was going well, but just after scoring his first senior goal against Toulouse he suffered another setback, injuries relating to his original leg break would keep him out for another year.

Another spell of rehab saw him make his return at the end of 2012, returning to the first team in Decemeber he scored on his first game back as Auxerre beat Niort 4-2. Then after finding his match fitness he exploded back onto the footballing world, scoring seven goals in just two games. Although Auxerre were faltering in the league, the spotlight had returned to the Stade Abbe Deschamps, and Sanogo was the name on scout’s lips around Europe.

Of course, in true Sanogo fashion this new found form was followed by another injury, this time to his thigh, but again he returned, and scored in Auxerre’s last game against Angers.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...#ixzz2TY7acsjU
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Star)
    Hmm two questions marks over the XI to start against Newcastle.

Firstly, should Giroud come straight back into the team or not? Personally,I think that although Podolski isn't naturally a lone striker the front three of Santi, Lukas and Theo seems to be working so should stay the same.

Secondly, who should partner Ramsey in the double pivot in Arteta's absence? Wilshere, Coquelin or maybe Vermalen seem like the three most likely candidates. Wilshere I don't think should start as he needs an operation as soon as the season is over so it's probably better for him to come on as a sub (if at all) as we don't want to exacerbate his injury. It's a tough one between Coquelin and Vermalen as one is young and inexperienced and other isn't used to playing in the DM role.
    Agree, although for next season I'd like to see wilshere and ramsey in midfield, with one playing a holding/DLP role and the other a box to box alternating.

Verm, would be a good idea though.

Oh, I'd like to see yaya sanogo in the prem, I've seen highlights of him and he looks good but obviously I don't watch auxerre(nor do I want to)

This is from the mirror's "resident Ligue 1 expert"
    Fair enough. That sounds a bit worrying, then. :holmes: Hopefully our scouts have thought it through. Like I said, I don't think he'd be much higher up in the pecking order than third-choice, so I don't think it would be a huge immediate problem.

(Original post by jam277)
    Agree, although for next season I'd like to see wilshere and ramsey in midfield, with one playing a holding/DLP role and the other a box to box alternating.

Verm, would be a good idea though.

Oh, I'd like to see yaya sanogo in the prem, I've seen highlights of him and he looks good but obviously I don't watch auxerre(nor do I want to)
    I really wanted a Wilshere-Ramsey partnership in midfield towards the beginning of the season, but I've begun to grow unsure about it. :holmes: I suppose it might work for the coming season - partly necessitated by Cazorla's presence - but I think in the longer run Wilshere belongs higher up the pitch with another midfielder next to Ramsey (if he's still in the picture at that stage). Entirely unsure about Vermaelen in the DM role; I can see why some people might suggest it, but as far as I know he's never been played there - even when Belgium had their CB dilemma with Kompany, Vermaelen and Vertonghen all on form, it was the latter who played DM - and we don't know if he'd be comfortable there, let alone if he can do a job.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. That sounds a bit worrying, then. :holmes: Hopefully our scouts have thought it through. Like I said, I don't think he'd be much higher up in the pecking order than third-choice, so I don't think it would be a huge immediate problem.
    Yeah agree with that it wouldn't bother me to buy him I think it's a bit of a non story really because as you say he will be 3rd choice at best and if its free then its definitely a low risk move taking a chance on the potential he can stay fit and become a premier league goal scorer

ReputationRep:
    Sanogo's fine. Expect to see him in the Carling Cup and the odd PL game as a sub. I remember the goal he scored against England under 21 so going by that I have good hopes for the future on him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Song and Pique at the Barca parade

Oh dear...

Song and Pique at the Barca parade

Oh dear...
    Are they genuinely fighting? :erm: That's definitely not nice to see.

ReputationRep:
    Are they genuinely fighting? :erm: That's definitely not nice to see.
    I dunno I haven't seen anything that says definitely either way whether its play fighting or serious this photo makes it look like puyol and valdes are stepping in to restrain Pique though

I dunno I haven't seen anything that says definitely either way whether its play fighting or serious this photo makes it look like puyol and valdes are stepping in to restrain Pique though

Wow, that certainly looks legit. :erm: I'm anticipating reading about whatever it was that happened when it comes out now.

In Arsenal-related news, Wenger says that he was once interested in signing David Beckham, but couldn't afford his wages. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Wtf... that looks awkward, we'll have to see I guess but I think it might be a joke.

Apparently song wasn't in the pictures of the awards dinner. So maybe it's not a joke. Song :facepalm2: how does wenger get these players working?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that certainly looks legit. :erm: I'm anticipating reading about whatever it was that happened when it comes out now.

In Arsenal-related news, Wenger says that he was once interested in signing David Beckham, but couldn't afford his wages. :p:
    :facepalm2: wenger has been supposedly linked or in for more people than harry redknapp.

ReputationRep:
    So that's what Song meant when he said he wanted to fight for his Barcelona future :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    So that's what Song meant when he said he wanted to fight for his Barcelona future :laugh:
    Embarrassing. That's just bad man, song :facepalm:
    People can't handle their drink.

ReputationRep:
    Embarrassing. That's just bad man, song :facepalm:
    People can't handle their drink.
    Yup they were criticized as some of the Barcelona players were supposedly very drunk :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Yup they were criticized as some of the Barcelona players were supposedly very drunk :laugh:
    Sound like some of my uni mates tbh. Still embarrassing. on an open bus parade man :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Sound like some of my uni mates tbh. Still embarrassing. on an open bus parade man :lol:
    It was pretty surprising. Alba, Alves, Puyol and some of the younger players looked smashed out their minds :lol:

ReputationRep:
    One of the reasons I wish we don't buy him back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.