Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone done/did Hamlet? I studied it last year and found it really interesting, contrary to the majority of my class :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachy23)
    We were made to do the first speaking and listening and were later told that they're not using it anymore and we don't need to it. I was so happy but a few days later, they told us that we actually were going to do it and we had to do 3 worst thing ever. Although your speech sounds much worse since I asked the teacher if I could do it on my own at lunchtime
    Lucky you, we had to do ours in front of the class It wasn't too bad though because we were all in the same position. I was too nervous to even look up from my sheet of paper that I had in front of me
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Purple-Pixie)
    Ah that's nice I didn't really enjoy English in Years 8 and 9 but ever since Year 10 I've really been loving it again! What A Levels are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've already done my A-Levels. :yep:

I'm currently taking a gap year and doing various things atm.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Gilo98)
    Anyone done/did Hamlet? I studied it last year and found it really interesting, contrary to the majority of my class :lol:
    I haven't studied it but I have seen it (and am seeing it again this time next year), it's a wonderful play :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    I haven't studied it but I have seen it (and am seeing it again this time next year), it's a wonderful play :yep:
    The perhaps only thing that I like about shakespeare's plays are the historical and cultural context of the plays - quite ignorantly, I dont really appreciate it for anything else . But I truly do find the historical/cultural/social insight his plays give fascinating!

I must go see a shakespeare play performed, I've only been to the theatre a couple of times
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    The perhaps only thing that I like about shakespeare's plays are the historical and cultural context of the plays - quite ignorantly, I dont really appreciate it for anything else . But I truly do find the historical/cultural/social insight his plays give fascinating!

I must go see a shakespeare play performed, I've only been to the theatre a couple of times
    When you see them performed, it really lets you appreciate the language too :yes: although the social aspects are pretty good too

You should, they were meant to be seen rather than read after all :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn-to-page394)
    Well you haven't met me... So lazy and procrastinate to the point that I uhhhhh.

Just imagine that, if you are giving your presentation to your english class or whatever, you're talking to only one person and concentrate on looking at them. And then just switch person now and then so you're not acting like a creepy person and excluding the rest of your audience. It worked for me as I'm quite shy in front of audiences and get mild stage fright.... It makes a bit better if i'm not addressing so much people at the same time.... (even if i technically am...).
    Not sure if that made sense. :/ Hope it helps you too!
    Haha thanks for the tips! To be honest, I'm still not sure if that would work for me since I ended up asking the teacher if I could do mine at lunchtime alone as we had the option to do that too. I still got a 7/10 which isn't that great :/ so I have to redo it

ReputationRep:
    When you see them performed, it really lets you appreciate the language too :yes: although the social aspects are pretty good too

You should, they were meant to be seen rather than read after all :rolleyes:
    I can imagine, and yep aha, I suppose :mmm:
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I can imagine, and yep aha, I suppose :mmm:
    Do you prefer the histories to the comedies and tragedies then?

ReputationRep:
    Do you prefer the histories to the comedies and tragedies then?
    Yep :yep: although the tragedies are often intertwined with everything shakespeare - at least they have been with my limited exposure to his work. The comedies aren't my kind of thing for sure though How about you?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Yep :yep: although the tragedies are often intertwined with everything shakespeare - at least they have been with my limited exposure to his work. The comedies aren't my kind of thing for sure though How about you?
    I love them all!

ReputationRep:
    I love them all!
    Do you study A Level English Lit/Lang by any chance? :mmm:
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Do you study A Level English Lit/Lang by any chance? :mmm:
    Both of them :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Both of them :lol:
    I could have guessed not in any sort of patronising way, but, above all others, the english fans are the best and most die hard subject fans in my opinion :lol: :congrats:
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I could have guessed not in any sort of patronising way, but, above all others, the english fans are the best and most die hard subject fans in my opinion :lol: :congrats:
    Yeah, there's a lot of extra work outside of lessons especially in lit you really have to like the subject to do well :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, there's a lot of extra work outside of lessons especially in lit you really have to like the subject to do well :yes:
    I can imagine!! Every person I talk to who is to do with english has a real passion for their subject that sadly isn't that consistent across all other subjects At least thats what I had seen at School
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I can imagine!! Every person I talk to who is to do with english has a real passion for their subject that sadly isn't that consistent across all other subjects At least thats what I had seen at School
    It does need a lot more passion than something like maths because it's a much more personal subject, where you give personal responses

ReputationRep:
    It does need a lot more passion than something like maths because it's a much more personal subject, where you give personal responses
    :yep: Luckily I have the most amazingly passionate teacher for english and so, despite my personal lack of love for it, I can't help but feel a little bit inspired because of my teachers passion!!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    :yep: Luckily I have the most amazingly passionate teacher for english and so, despite my personal lack of love for it, I can't help but feel a little bit inspired because of my teachers passion!!
    The teachers definitely help!
    I have one amazing teacher for English lit and one not as good one, and it does make a difference :yes:
    One of my English lang teachers is so enthusiastic, I had him for GCSE as well and he is just amazing

ReputationRep:
    The teachers definitely help!
    I have one amazing teacher for English lit and one not as good one, and it does make a difference :yes:
    One of my English lang teachers is so enthusiastic, I had him for GCSE as well and he is just amazing
    :yes: a good teacher can definitely make or break a subject!! Im off, to bed - nice speaking to you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.