Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    SalaamUAlaikum!

Someone made a thread (presumably non-Muslim), saying how someone asked a question in here regarding chess as being haraam or not. Some people really have alot of time on their hands. But I'm happy they actually scrolled and read these messages in here. Hopefully they learnt something useful about Islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enginerd.)
    SalaamUAlaikum!

Someone made a thread (presumably non-Muslim), saying how someone asked a question in here regarding chess as being haraam or not. Some people really have alot of time on their hands. But I'm happy they actually scrolled and read these messages in here. Hopefully they learnt something useful about Islam.
    Wa'alaykumasalaam.

Lol. Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enginerd.)
    SalaamUAlaikum!

Waalaikumussalam warahmatullah

Hopefully yeah

ReputationRep:
    The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said: "Allah, His angels and all those in Heavens and on Earth, even ants in their hills and fish in the water, call down blessings on those who instruct others in beneficial knowledge." - Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 422 This is because knowledge enlivens the heart against ignorance, illuminates the eyes against darkness, and strengthens the body. It transports the servants to the mansions of the select and the righteous and to the highest ranks in the world and in the Hereafter. Contemplating it is equivalent to fasting, and reviewing it is equivalent to the Night...

ReputationRep:
    الله من نمّ لك نمّ عليك, ومن نقل اليك نقل عنك Whoever slanders to you about others, will slander about you And whoever reports to you, will soon report about you – Imam al-Shafi’ee

ReputationRep:
    This is a beautiful Ayah from the Qur'an. "For truly with hardship
    comes ease; truly with hardship comes ease" [Surat al-Inshirah: 5-6]

ReputationRep:
    ‎"Remembrance is to the heart what water is to a fish. And what is the state of the fish that leaves the water?"- Ibn Taymiyyah rahimahullah on the remebrance of Allaah

ReputationRep:
    My fav sahaba, may Allah be pleased with them all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Wsalaam,

In terms of scholarship, he's fine Islamicaly, he has learned the correct way and has the qualifications. However, when it comes to being one of the most learned and knowledgeable scholars about, there are far better in that regards which we do not hear of as they are the ones still at Islamic universities learning and learning, but also teaching and passing on knowledge to the next generation of scholars/shakyhs, etc
    Really? What are his qualifications in Hadeeth, Fiqh, Aqeedah and so on?

I would suggest courses held by someone like Sheikh Akram Nadwi, after that would be to go Madinah university or Al-Azhar
    Shaykh akram also offers introductory courses. Also, there are other places to study in Egypt and indeed in other countries like Morocco, Muaritannia, Yemen (not so much now), Nadwatul Ulama in India, Syria (definitely not know) Other unis in saudi like Umm al-Qurra and so on.

Even in England there are more insitutions study with. Darul Ulooms, Ebrahim College, al-Muntada al-Islami (I am aware of some who studied the hanbali madhab up to al-Mughni with a shaykh there!), Tayyibun, al-Salam Institue, MRDF/Sabeel etc etc

ReputationRep:
    If you could study Islam anywhere in the world where would you pick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibn Fulaan)
    I literally laughed out loud at some of Truthmans stuff in this thread.

Now you guys know how muslims feel dealing with him.
    Truthman?
    Truthman is the scholar of the century compared to this:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post53307941

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themorninglight)
    Either Al-shaam
    or Azhaar
    Or Yemen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    Truthman?
    Truthman is the scholar of the century compared to this:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post53307941
    Looooool Those two could start a comedy duo!

ReputationRep:
    Saudi for Hadeeth and Hanbali Fiqh.
    Yemen also for Hadeeth and Shafi Fiqh
    Hanafi Fiqh in Nadwatul Ulama
    Maliki fiqh, Arabic and Usool in Mauritania
    Quran in Syria and Morocco

(not exclusively those subjects)

If i were to chose only one place it's be either al-Azhar for just a few years but Mauritania for studying a decade+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    Either Al-shaam
    or Azhaar
    Or Yemen
    Nice choices. My grandpa studied in Yemen for over 10 years. Before that he studied primarily in Somalia.

(Original post by Ibn Fulaan)
    Saudi for Hadeeth and Hanbali Fiqh.
    Yemen also for Hadeeth and Shafi Fiqh
    Hanafi Fiqh in Nadwatul Ulama
    Maliki fiqh, Arabic and Usool in Mauritania
    Quran in Syria and Morocco

(not exclusively those subjects)

If i were to chose only one place it's be either al-Azhar for just a few years but Mauritania for studying a decade+
    I remember watching a video of Abu Taubah speaking about studying in Mauritania, it looked awesome but very very tough.

ReputationRep:
    Yemen or Saudi Arabia...well I'm in Saudi already but yeah.
    Edit: Quran - Egypt. A lot of people who I know went there to study came back out being hafiz with beautiful voices mash'Allah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mary562)
    Walaykumaslaam hun xo
    I've seen a video where Nouman Ali Khan talked about how guys can sometimes manipulate women into the wrong path and one of the points covered was women giving dawah. May Allah protect us. Ameen. I think it's wrong to be verbally talking about it one-to-one but if it's a TSR convo or whats app then that's something different. However, you need to keep your convos on topic. Regarding your second question - Having a friend is a different thing then having a brother/sister as a friend. No you should not have a male / female friend because 100% sure that either the opposite sex will continue this 'friendship' to different levels. I prefer having a range of brothers/sisters not only one friend. Just like you guys on ISOC.
    Hope that helps sis. xx
    In regards to the convo thing, sheikhs, scholars etc...would say that unnecessary chatting you must avoid. When I sent an email to Mufti Menk, this is what he told me. As for friends, well I wouldn't befriend a male sis, but I see where you are coming from. And of course we are here for you on the ISOC sis, are you feeling better btw?
    JazakAllahu khayan for your opinion xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tawheed)
    Peace be on you too,

A very interesting question brother. This is merely my own opinion, and Allah swt knows best, but i believe the truth for any sincere, objective, truth seeking individual should be accessible. If the truth is not accessible, one would question the justice of God, surely, into commanding us to believe in something not convincing?

I would argue that disbelief can stem from ignorance - not knowing the truth. Even if you see someone making a sincere effort, yet nt being convinced, it could be due to a plethora of causes.

1. They could really be learning Islam from anti-islam sources, which cleverly distort Islam (i.e websites we all know)
    2. They may have preconceived biases , be it emotional or otherwise
    3. They may be reading inaccurate information, explained poorly - as we often see.
    4. They may beleive Islam = only sunni, or Islam = only shia. Before deciding if Islam is true, one should study both schools of thought.
    5. They may not take a holistic view of the Quran. For instance, an atheist asked - why does Allah swt say he guides whom he wills and misguides whom he wills? Why worship a God like that! To that i answered, in another verse he says for those who struggle in his cause, he will guide them , meaning Allah swt guides those who are sincere and want to be guided. You see ?
    6. Alleged conflict between religion and science. In islam, there really are no blatant outright conflicts.

I could go on and on.

At the end of the day, it will be for Allah swt to judge us all individually, he has knowledge over all things , and is merciful and just, and he himself says in the Quran that no soul will be wronged in the least.

and Allah swt knows best.
    That is a good list. :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    O you who have believed, be persistently standing firm in justice, witnesses for Allah , even if it be against yourselves or parents and relatives. Whether one is rich or poor, Allah is more worthy of both. So follow not [personal] inclination, lest you not be just. And if you distort [your testimony] or refuse [to give it], then indeed Allah is ever, with what you do, Acquainted.
    [Quran 4:135]

ReputationRep:
    Assalaamu Alaikum, I pray you're all in good health. My local Masjid does the Kutbah in Punjabi/Urdu, and not in English. I only understand every third or fourth word and find it hard to understand the full lesson. I really wished they did it in English so I could understand it! It's an English area too, in an English country! Is this a serious issue?

Usually when I come home I find an English Kutbah on youtube to sort of make up for it lol.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.