Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    SSN confirms Sturridge will be out 'weeks' rather than days.

ReputationRep:
    How can a professional athlete be so prone to injury?
    It's actually laughable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Coutinho has travelled with the squad.

Lucas, Allen, Moreno AND Ibe all haven't travelled, though.

Expect the back four to be Bogdan, Randall/Clyne, Skrtel, K Toure, Smith/Clyne.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Coutinho has travelled with the squad.

Lucas, Allen, Moreno AND Ibe all haven't travelled, though.

Expect the back four to be Bogdan, Randall/Clyne, Skrtel, K Toure, Smith/Clyne.
    Wonder why Coutinho travelled? Surely not worth wasting his energy on the flight etc. I wouldn't have taken Clyne either.

I guess Klopp won't play an entirely reserve team. Maybe he wants to get back to winning ways/top the group?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Wonder why Coutinho travelled? Surely not worth wasting his energy on the flight etc. I wouldn't have taken Clyne either.

I guess Klopp won't play an entirely reserve team. Maybe he wants to get back to winning ways/top the group?
    I think there's definitely a case after the weekend for not playing a reserve team. Like I've said previously, I have no interest in seeing Firmino and Benteke on the same pitch, but both were poor and both are probably itching to prove themselves and set the record straight.

We can't send out just a group of young lads because it's a dead rubber. They are more important to us than merely there to alleviate the pressure on the first-team players. They aren't just there to make up the numbers, or to be utilised when others need to be out of the firing line or need a rest.

Their development is crucial, and Klopp knows that. Playing a couple of youngsters - Randall and Smith, maybe Brannagan or Teixeira - is the right way to go, but let's not saturate the side with youth.

ReputationRep:
    Sturridge only out for a max of 2 weeks as sky sports have stated so hopefully will be back for xmas fixtrues. TBH he is more of a luxury striker, he is geat asset to the team but we cant rely on him solely or we will get no where.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisIsNotMyNamex)
    Sturridge only out for a max of 2 weeks as sky sports have stated so hopefully will be back for xmas fixtrues. TBH he is more of a luxury striker, he is geat asset to the team but we cant rely on him solely or we will get no where.
    That's not too bad. Would miss a couple of league games.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Connor Randall and Ryan Fulton both sign new deals with us. The former endured a torrid opening twenty at St. Mary's thanks to Tadic, but players do.

Gerrard had a horrible time against Ginola on his debut, and Flanagan had that woeful game at Ewood Park where he was responsible for us conceding two goals and getting Brad Jones sent off.

I expect we'll see the right-back tomorrow, owing to Clyne's ability to play on both flanks, but Smith may be at left-back with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    That's not too bad. Would miss a couple of league games.
    With any normal player it wouldn't be that bad, but this is Sturridge.

He'll probably get a headache in training and be out for another month.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Such a shame he is so injury prone, the thing is he is so damn clinical I can just see him come back after two weeks and score a hat trick. He would have thrived under Klopp with Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana behind him. Such a shame we can't build a squad around him. It just seems like he's becoming more and more injury prone as time goes on. I'm sure mentality wise it's difficult for him as he gets all these little niggles so frequently.

I definitely don't think we should sell him as some fans have suggested. Any way there won't be many clubs in for him considering his wages and how injury prone he is. It'd be much better if we could negotiate a contract where we pay when he plays. On his day he can be one of the best strikers in the league and he's one of my favourite players at Liverpool. It's worthwhile keeping him even if he just starts 20 games a season since he can score out of nothing and be the decisive factor in any match. Hard to believe he's still only 26 when his body is brittle like an 80 year old's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    Such a shame he is so injury prone, the thing is he is so damn clinical I can just see him come back after two weeks and score a hat trick. He would have thrived under Klopp with Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana behind him. Such a shame we can't build a squad around him. It just seems like he's becoming more and more injury prone as time goes on. I'm sure mentality wise it's difficult for him as he gets all these little niggles so frequently.

I definitely don't think we should sell him as some fans have suggested. Any way there won't be many clubs in for him considering his wages and how injury prone he is. It'd be much better if we could negotiate a contract where we pay when he plays. On his day he can be one of the best strikers in the league and he's one of my favourite players at Liverpool. It's worthwhile keeping him even if he just starts 20 games a season since he can score out of nothing and be the decisive factor in any match. Hard to believe he's still only 26 when his body is brittle like an 80 year old's.
    Agree with this but a lot will depend on what Sturridge says. The club should just say - we think you're worth the 150k a week when you are playing. We'll give you a set basic salary of 20k a week but will rise to 150k if you tick all the boxes as per the last contract.

If Sturridge refuses to change his contract, the club may feel obliged to sell even if it means we get something paltry like 5mil and pay a big portion of his wages to recoup some value so it can go towards another squad player? I imagine his contract runs until 2019 so we're not in a strong position at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    . He would have thrived under Klopp with Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana behind him. #
    You will never see these front three behind a stiker

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Klopp's said Benteke will adapt - but that also suggests Klopp knows he needs to, which is positive. Of course, he scores, but he needs to adapt his game. I think an issue for Benteke - despite the goal at Stamford Bridge - is that he effectively played no, or at the very most minimal, parts in our three biggest wins this term: Chelsea, Man City, and Southampton.

A lot of decisions have to be made around the team, but Benteke definitely has a future. Sturridge's injury is obviously concerning and a real shame, but I'm fed up of talking about him, and I want to focus on Benteke briefly.

We don't need to be brilliant, or playing the brand of football we did at the Etihad or St. Mary's, to beat the bottom eight sides at Anfield. We don't have to be anywhere near that good. Benteke fits into that, in my view. We know he scores - roughly a goal every two games - and he can definitely be deployed in games where we aren't playing our counter-attacking, free-flowing, swashbuckling play.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1449765952.424993.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  88.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Fairly decent team. Smith deserves the start after that peach of a cross last week.

So good to have Henderson back.

ReputationRep:
    Not happy - far too strong a team

Liverpool XI: Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Lovren, Smith, Henderson, Milner, Can, Lallana, Firmino, Origi.

Why didn't Bogdan get a start in a dead rubber?
    Clyne - could do with more of a rest when we don't have a proper backup for him. We're screwed if either him or Moreno get injured.
    Milner - why does he need to play?
    Can - fine since he missed the last game.
    Lallana - we weren't able to start him at the weekend and after playing today, he probably won't be ready to play 90 minutes at the weekend again. Why did he need to travel, let alone start?

It's fine if we suffer no injuries and get 3 points on Sunday but doesn't make sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus Christ some of our passing is woeful.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by AsandaLFC)
    You will never see these front three behind a stiker

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why not? They are behind Origi now.

I've been up since about 4am so this match is just exacerbating how sleepy I feel right now.

ReputationRep:
    I know a draw is fine but....dull as dishwasher.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't watch the match.
    Sounds like I made a good choice...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.