The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drandy76
I think we're making a summer maths thread, but I've got 1 last exam so I'm in maths purgatory atm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Summer maths/bants with the lads.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Yeah, but I'm free after Wednesday morning...

I was mainly talking about other people on here anyway. Loads of crazy enthusiastic mathmos on here wanting to complete Part IA during the summer :tongue:

Not doing the Tripos but if any modules catch my eye I wouldn't mind giving it a go as well :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Insight314
Summer maths/bants with the lads.

Better start looking for Tripos notes for modules Ill want to go over then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathemagicien
Yeah, but I'm free after Wednesday morning...

I was mainly talking about other people on here anyway. Loads of crazy enthusiastic mathmos on here wanting to complete Part IA during the summer :tongue:

Hehe, aren't we all?

I am gonna talk to my Maths teacher (has experience with Cambridge) about which textbooks I would need for V&M, DE, Group theory and the other ones and I am gonna share it here if you guys want to buy them as well. I am probably gonna 1)read through the textbook 2)read through lecture notes and then 3)do example/problem sheets.

I am really excited for it, been planning it for a while today and delayed my FP3/Physics revision in the process, but I need to first smash my last two exams.

I feel like Cambridge is getting closer and closer.

*inb4 I fail my next two exams and miss my offer*
Better start looking for Tripos notes for modules Ill want to go over then

Posted from TSR Mobile

Information about Tripos - https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/course

Schedules, and contains recommended textbooks at the bottom of each course - https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/system/files/schedules.pdf

More information about part IA - https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.maths.cam.ac.uk/files/pre2014/undergrad/course/coursesIA.pdf

If you do Maths with Physics this is useful since 4th paper is first year Physics NatSci Tripos paper - http://www.phy.cam.ac.uk/students/teaching/teachingfiles/copy_of_Handbook.pdf
Hehe, aren't we all?

I am gonna talk to my Maths teacher (has experience with Cambridge) about which textbooks I would need for V&M, DE, Group theory and the other ones and I am gonna share it here if you guys want to buy them as well. I am probably gonna 1)read through the textbook 2)read through lecture notes and then 3)do example/problem sheets.

I am really excited for it, been planning it for a while today and delayed my FP3/Physics revision in the process, but I need to first smash my last two exams.

Y ask him when the pdf you linked earlier has all the recommended ones. The ones with the cross are the most useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Information about Tripos - https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/course

Schedules, and contains recommended textbooks at the bottom of each course - https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/system/files/schedules.pdf

More information about part IA - https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.maths.cam.ac.uk/files/pre2014/undergrad/course/coursesIA.pdf

If you do Maths with Physics this is useful since 4th paper is first year Physics NatSci Tripos paper - http://www.phy.cam.ac.uk/students/teaching/teachingfiles/copy_of_Handbook.pdf

Thanks fam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Y ask him when the pdf you linked earlier has all the recommended ones. The ones with the cross are the most useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True. I got the one with the cross for Analysis I already with me. However, it is possible that he recommends me some other textbooks which are better. Also, I am not sure exactly which courses to start with so he could recommend me the ones I should take priority over (I know he's gonna say probability since I haven't done any probability since Year 9).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quite a few of the courses have recommended reading list with no 'cross', so I don't want to gamble. I feel like it is best to ask someone experienced so I can be sure that I choose the best one for the course.

Edit: Some courses have more than two 'crosses'. You get what I am saying right?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hehe, aren't we all?

gen.lib.rus.ec
*sees textbooks worth 40 quid*
*whistles*
*immediately finds a pdf*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quite a few of the courses have recommended reading list with no 'cross', so I don't want to gamble. I feel like it is best to ask someone experienced so I can be sure that I choose the best one for the course.

Edit: Some courses have more than two 'crosses'. You get what I am saying right?

Yeh I understnd what more then two crosses are, I ain't retarded Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeh I understnd what more then two crosses are, I ain't retarded Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I was more like asking if you know why I need to ask him which textbooks to choose. Some courses have reading list with no crosses (they are actually daggers, like in QM transpose, but anyway) and some have reading list with more than one cross so gotta make sure I get the best textbook from the list.
Original post by ホク水ね
Can someone give me an idea of how many marks I've got in II and III, please? Thank you!

II

Spoiler

III

Spoiler

Anyone got any ideas for II please?
*sees textbooks worth 40 quid*
*whistles*
*immediately finds a pdf*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you talking about the infamous Spivak's Calculus? It is pretty expensive. However, I feel like it is best for you to buy "First Course in Mathematical Analysis" by J.C Burkill since that one is specifically for this course. Also, I feel like Spivak's Calculus is more borderline Calculus and Analysis than just pure Real Analysis. Differences like these is why I need to ask someone experienced for textbook choice.
Guys (FP2 help) how do you turn a locus given by something in terms of complex numbers, into a cartesian equation?!

For example, say you have z1 = 3 + 4j and z2 = -3 + 2j
and you have to find the cartesian equation of the locus given by |z - z1| = 2|z - z2|

... Makes absolutely no sense to me, even the next part that asks me to sketch is confusing me?!
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Guys (FP2 help) how do you turn a locus given by something in terms of complex numbers, into a cartesian equation?!

and you have to find the cartesian equation of the locus given by |z - z1| = 2|z - z2|

... Makes absolutely no sense to me, even the next part that asks me to sketch is confusing me?!

Let z=x+iyz = x + iy , substitute and then take modulus (square both sides).
Original post by ComputerMaths97

Note that the definition of |x + iy| is root(x^2 + y^2)
Are you talking about the infamous Spivak's Calculus? It is pretty expensive. However, I feel like it is best for you to buy "First Course in Mathematical Analysis" by J.C Burkill since that one is specifically for this course. Also, I feel like Spivak's Calculus is more borderline Calculus and Analysis than just pure Real Analysis. Differences like these is why I need to ask someone experienced for textbook choice.

Lol yeah, I've got that one too but I had to drop it because I had to revise for exams, completely forgot about it actually :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol yeah, I've got that one too but I had to drop it because I had to revise for exams, completely forgot about it actually :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go to the Contents page, and compare it to the the parts of Analysis I on https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/system/files/schedules.pdf. I see why there is a dagger next to it. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending