The Ultimate England Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In any case, he didn't take the test. So it couldn't be proven that he had had any drugs at all. So there goes at least half of your cute little tirade: the "proven" bit, and possibly by corollary the "drugs cheat" bit too.

Anyway, Ferdinand was dealt with far too severely. Only a month before, a Manchester City player had missed a drugs test and didn't get anything like the ban dished out to Ferdinand.
Ronaldo VII
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Fields)
An accident. Yes, of course. :rolleyes:
What did he gain by missing it? He had a test a couple hours later which was clean and one a couple days later which showed he had no drugs in his system for the past 60 days or so.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There's this guy. Forget his name. Plays in a red shirt. Has been made captain the team he plays for but did drugs. Sniffed the white markings on the pitch as a goal celebration.
Jxhn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ferdinand strikes me as certainly one of the most vocal members of the england team, certainly an area where Gerrard is lacking. Reckless heart on the sleeve leadership is good, and you certainly need it within your team, but it doesn't need to be captain. It's still there and can provide another source of leadership, multiple sources of leadership when the chips are down can't be a bad thing.

Just because ferdinand's style of play looks lazy and uninterested, doesn't mean he is. He seems to just glide around doing just enough and with a minimum of fuss, but the key fact is, he's doing his job regularly. Man United have the best defence in the prem and he is a key part of that so you can't knock his class.
Throwback
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Making a proven drugs cheat captain of a national football team is disgraceful.
Still waiting for this elusive proof then
Throwback
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jxhn)
Ferdinand strikes me as certainly one of the most vocal members of the england team, certainly an area where Gerrard is lacking. Reckless heart on the sleeve leadership is good, and you certainly need it within your team, but it doesn't need to be captain. It's still there and can provide another source of leadership, multiple sources of leadership when the chips are down can't be a bad thing.

Just because ferdinand's style of play looks lazy and uninterested, doesn't mean he is. He seems to just glide around doing just enough and with a minimum of fuss, but the key fact is, he's doing his job regularly. Man United have the best defence in the prem and he is a key part of that so you can't knock his class.
This shows just how good he is at his job imo. The whole point of his game is that his positioning and reading of the game is so good that he rarely has to make last ditch tackles or blocks.
ManUtdFanDean
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just because he missed some drug tests and has had a few driving bans means nothing, its all in the past, if it was still going on then ok but its a great decision imo good leader
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Fabio Capello had confirmed that David Beckham will win his 100th cap against France. He didn't say whether this would be as a starter or a sub, and he also declined to confirm whether Michael Owen would start, or play at all.

Also, some good quotes in this article about Rio's delight at being given the captaincy tomorrow.
Fields
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ManUtdFanDean)
Just because he missed some drug tests and has had a few driving bans means nothing, its all in the past, if it was still going on then ok but its a great decision imo good leader
No, the England captain should be a role model, someone who sets an example, and who kids can look up to. Can you honestly say that Rio Ferdinand fits that description? Disgraceful.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
From what I've seen in the six days I have spent with him and from the games I've watched, Rio is a very good professional player
We all make mistakes in life, the important thing is to work hard and rectify mistakes
Capello on Ferdinand there.

Ever heard of redemption?
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No, the England captain should be a role model, someone who sets an example, and who kids can look up to. Can you honestly say that Rio Ferdinand fits that description? Disgraceful.
Name me one person that fits your description of being the perfect role model for England then.
mhsc
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well using that logic you can't use most of the team as captain. Except for Joe Cole.

Joe Cole rocks my socks :ninja:
Fields
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Name me one person that fits your description of being the perfect role model for England then.
Michael Owen - hardly captain material though. There's probably others but to be honest I don't even know who's in the squad.
mhsc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Michael Owen - hardly captain material though. There's probably others but to be honest I don't even know who's in the squad.
Michael Owen who is out of form and is hardly guaranteed to make an appearance here let alone regularly in the future? Eh?
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Was thinking you'd name him. Unfortunately, as stated, he's out of form and Capello doesn't like forwards being captains. How strict are you regarding captaincy/being a role model though? The only other candidate I can think of is Joe Cole but that's an awkward one.
mhsc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The point is we have to pick the best man to get results, not any of this role model off the pitch for the kids crap :ninja:

Kids only follow what happens on the pitch anyway majoritively, they aint going to know about Terry cheating on his misses or Rio taking crack.

N.B. am just kidding on the "things they do thats naughty" before anyone comes along and takes offense as seems to happen in this thread far too much :rolleyes:
Fields
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mhsc)
Kids only follow what happens on the pitch anyway majoritively, they aint going to know about Terry cheating on his misses or Rio taking crack.
But the players you mention are horrible ***** on the pitch as well as off it.
Ronaldo VII
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
But the players you mention are horrible ***** on the pitch as well as off it.
Would you prefer him if he let Torres out of his pocket?
Owl1867
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
"i refuse to engage in argument with such a terrible troll."

Yes I must be lying, it isnt possible for someone to think the premier league is overrated.
mhsc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ronaldo VII)
Would you prefer him if he let Torres out of his pocket?
:laugh:

In fairness it was 1 great, young player against 2 pretty good defenders at their peak. But you are right, they did contain him exceptionally well in both matches.

Perhaps next you meet (CL final? :ninja:) Rafa will conclude that maybe 2 up top would be a better choice.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (68)
23.45%
No (222)
76.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed