The Pupillage Interview / Acceptance / Rejection Thread 2010 Watch

habeas_corpus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hi all,

was anyone who had an first round interview at 3PB able to get any feedback on their performance? Obvisouly this is aimed at those who didn't progress to round 2! I emailed but no response...

Thanks!
TommyHagen
Report 8 years ago
I was called to the Bar this July but not a hint of a pupillage.

I am working as an assistant to a senior barrister at the moment who works in a fairly large chambers. She is really happy with my work.

They normally take on 2 pupils but those will be Oxbridge types. I am not.

What I want to know is whether I can persuade her to take me on as her pupil on her own account? In other words, I will be the 3rd pupil for that set but under her. I already have my own business so I don't really need to get paid.

Are there any Bar Council hurdles and what would she need to say to her chambers?

You may ask, why don't I ask her myself? Well, as the old legal addage goes, don't ask a question if you don't know the answer!

Any help/suggestions with this would be welcome.

Tom Hagen

"I'm gonna make you an offer you can't refuse!"
FindFixStroke
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TommyHagen)
I was called to the Bar this July but not a hint of a pupillage.

I am working as an assistant to a senior barrister at the moment who works in a fairly large chambers. She is really happy with my work.

They normally take on 2 pupils but those will be Oxbridge types. I am not.

What I want to know is whether I can persuade her to take me on as her pupil on her own account? In other words, I will be the 3rd pupil for that set but under her. I already have my own business so I don't really need to get paid.

Are there any Bar Council hurdles and what would she need to say to her chambers?

You may ask, why don't I ask her myself? Well, as the old legal addage goes, don't ask a question if you don't know the answer!

Any help/suggestions with this would be welcome.

Tom Hagen

"I'm gonna make you an offer you can't refuse!"
Short answer: Don't ask.

Longer answer: Don't ask. If you ask her, you will embarrass yourself, and open yourself up to some serious questioning of your professional ethics. I would suggest a quick read of the Code of Conduct, starting with Annex R, then a look at the Equality and Diversity Code. The relevant provision is:

Private Arrangements
1.21 Private arrangements to take pupils should not be made, save where the requirement to advertise is disapplied or waived pursuant to paragraph 5 of the Pupillage Funding and Advertising Requirements 2003 (see para. 1.20 above). Private arrangements are contrary to good equal opportunities practice and the Bar Council will not register pupillages by private arrangement. They breach the requirement in the Code of Conduct that pupillages must be advertised.

Hope this helps.
SevenStars
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dillontroy)
I know someone who got an email yesterday from Lamb Building for an interview.
Just wondering...I know Lamb Building are doing a one round system this year...so all candidates will attend on the same day and offers will be made thereafter. What date was the someone you know given? (If you don't mind me asking!)
dillontroy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The interview is this Sat consisting of 3 interviews over the afternoon. I assume offers will be made shortly afterwards but do not know this for sure.
SevenStars
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks for that Dillontroy...a friend of mine has been called for an interview and was told about the single round and offers being made shortly thereafter. Sounds like a good way to do things.
dillontroy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I agree it is definately a good way of doing things! Just I a shame I won't be there to have a go as well!
SevenStars
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh that's a shame...didn't know you had applied. Maybe next year?
A-bel
Report 8 years ago
9SB rejection letter today.

I eagerly await the rest.
MrWigHead
Report 8 years ago
Hi, Just been catching up on the thread. Unity Street interview letters came out in the first week of October.
lj_parle
Report 8 years ago
Has anyone heard from Lamb Building yet?
dalianatkinson
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lj_parle)
Has anyone heard from Lamb Building yet?
People have been invited to interview.
lj_parle
Report 8 years ago
I meant anyone heard back from the interview? :-)
bishbosh
Report 8 years ago
I haven't heard back from lamb building since the interview yesterday. I'm not sure whether they were going to make offers yesterday evening or not though. I expect they may have done if they did manage to decide on the day as they say they like to. But maybe I'm wrong...
lj_parle
Report 8 years ago
Yeh I wasn't sure. It says on their website that they try to make a decision after one round. I initially took that to mean they would make a decision and inform the lucky candidates on the day. But, then I thought that 20 interviews + the written exercises + phoning candidates on the day probably wasn't what they meant (i.e. it just means they won't have a 2nd round). So, maybe we'll hear something at some point this week/next weej. Fingers crossed and good luck.

But, regardless, I thought the way the day was organised was very good. I think it's better to have lots of smaller exercises/interviews to test you rather than one single super high pressure interview. Plus, all the interviewers seemed very nice.
Pupil2B
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lj_parle)
Yeh I wasn't sure. It says on their website that they try to make a decision after one round. I initially took that to mean they would make a decision and inform the lucky candidates on the day. But, then I thought that 20 interviews + the written exercises + phoning candidates on the day probably wasn't what they meant (i.e. it just means they won't have a 2nd round). So, maybe we'll hear something at some point this week/next weej. Fingers crossed and good luck.

But, regardless, I thought the way the day was organised was very good. I think it's better to have lots of smaller exercises/interviews to test you rather than one single super high pressure interview. Plus, all the interviewers seemed very nice.
I received an offer of Pupillage with Lamb Buildings on Saturday evening which I am pleased to say, I accepted.

After a good two and half years of trying, I finally got one. I know it is so disheartening to read a post like this, trust me I have been reading them for a good while and the heart sinking feeling is awful! My advice is don't give up and keep trying... it will happen!!

Good luck!!
SevenStars
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Congratulations Pupil2B! Well done.
lj_parle
Report 8 years ago
Has anyone applied to Harrington Street Chambers in Liverpool?
Kessler`
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yep, apparently these have invited to interview by phone.
A-bel
Report 8 years ago
has anyone heard from 2DrJBs? Or from Chavasse crt? or Kenworthy?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (145)
38.26%
No - but I will (21)
5.54%
No - I don't want to (28)
7.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (185)
48.81%

Watched Threads