Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Rose

Spoiler:
    Show
    Really hoping Rose gets to meet the 11th Doctor in the 50th, haven't seen them, or Rose and Clara together once so wondering where she fits into it
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  50th-rose-smith-tennant-coleman_thumb.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  48.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  50th-rose-smith-tennant-coleman_thumb.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  48.8 KB
    That's not a still from the episode, it's just a publicity photo. Doesn't mean anything about the episode.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Lots of audio/book adventures have had the 8th Doctor ending the Time War.It is established canon and Steven Moffat has no right to change it and certainly no right to just add doctors between incarnations.I now have a new idea in response what if there was an incarnation of the Doctor between 2 and 3(we didn't quite see the regeneration properly) what if there was a Doctor between 6 and 7(just because he had the same coat and blond curly hair doesn't mean this is the same Doctor).All of these ideas are completely silly and are just intended to split into established canon and ruin everything and I feel exactly the same about this John Hurt's Doctor.I wonder how hurt the actual people who have wrote/produced official/fan productions based on the 8th regenerating into the 9th must feel-it is a complete attack on their hard work and patience and shouldn't be tolerated.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Actually he has every right to, it's his show. It's never been made clear whether the Big Finish audiobooks are to be considered canon. There are certain points where they differ from the TV shows, and it's always been thought that the TV shows take precedence.

You may not like it, but you are welcome to stop watching if that's the case. No one is forcing you to watch. You complain about every single episode - so why bother watching?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    That's not a still from the episode, it's just a publicity photo. Doesn't mean anything about the episode.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Actually he has every right to, it's his show. It's never been made clear whether the Big Finish audiobooks are to be considered canon. There are certain points where they differ from the TV shows, and it's always been thought that the TV shows take precedence.

You may not like it, but you are welcome to stop watching if that's the case. No one is forcing you to watch. You complain about every single episode - so why bother watching?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Its not his show he is just the person that has been put in charge of it but Steven Moffat just doesn't respect other writers on the show and loves to mess around with the fans and ruin their lives-messing around with established canon on the 50th Anniversary isn't a good idea.I would love it when the next writer comes around to just say it was all a dream and completely uncanonise all his work and then he will know what it feels like and what he has been doing to the fans.He has even decided where the Doctor is going to die.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Its not his show he is just the person that has been put in charge of it but Steven Moffat just doesn't respect other writers on the show and loves to mess around with the fans and ruin their lives-messing around with established canon on the 50th Anniversary isn't a good idea.I would love it when the next writer comes around to just say it was all a dream and completely uncanonise all his work and then he will know what it feels like and what he has been doing to the fans.He has even decided where the Doctor is going to die.
    messing around with the fans and ruin their lives? Wtf
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    This saddens me
    http://liamdryden.tumblr.com/post/66...triviality-x-i

Not a spoiler.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    I know it's very late to say this but what did you guys think about the trailer?

What do you think is going to happen? Any theories?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    This saddens me

Not a spoiler.
    It saddens me too. But I don't see any way that they could have been brought back - apart from McGann, they all look old now. When they brought Peter Davison back for that special they had to explain why he had suddenly aged a few decades. I don't know how they could have done that for all of them. They certainly should have been included more in the celebrations though.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    It saddens me too. But I don't see any way that they could have been brought back - apart from McGann, they all look old now. When they brought Peter Davison back for that special they had to explain why he had suddenly aged a few decades. I don't know how they could have done that for all of them. They certainly should have been included more in the celebrations though.
    Even if they'd asked them to do voice overs or something though it would have been nice.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why they couldn't have been brought back they really wouldn't have looked that old if they put wigs on and put on some good makeup etc.The standards of today are pretty high and they would probably look very familiar to the old doctors and it really doesn't matter if they don't look like their original doctors(the Time Crash explanation goes well) they would still feel like their original doctors eg. watch Tom Baker in Dimensions in Time for some reason they didn't even go to the lengths of making him any younger at all not even putting a brown curly wig on him or anything and yet he is still the Doctor and fans are aware of that and love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    This saddens me

Not a spoiler.
    Bit of a **** move by Moffat there not incorporating them all into a one big extravaganza. He seemed to take it a bit personally in that interview but I know Paul McGann was fine with lending his voice for one of the trailers (its a shame he was sidelined for that very small part alone), but I guess not all of them mind. I didn't like how Chris Ec (reportedly) didn't want any part in it despite being offered a role though.. :unimpressed: But hopefully we can all enjoy what SM wrote as spectators at least.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why they couldn't have been brought back they really wouldn't have looked that old if they put wigs on and put on some good makeup etc.The standards of today are pretty high and they would probably look very familiar to the old doctors and it really doesn't matter if they don't look like their original doctors(the Time Crash explanation goes well) they would still feel like their original doctors eg. watch Tom Baker in Dimensions in Time for some reason they didn't even go to the lengths of making him any younger at all not even putting a brown curly wig on him or anything and yet he is still the Doctor and fans are aware of that and love it.
    I didn't say that the fans wouldn't like it. I said they're too old.

Look at them now.

They are old. There's nothing wrong with that of course! But no amount of make up is going to be able to make them look as young as their roles. They'd have to do something convoluted like they did in Dimensions in Time, and that only worked because it was a comedy sketch, not an episode.

I fully support them coming back for radio things, and their voices could have been incorporated. But it's just naive to say that they all should have come back.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say that the fans wouldn't like it. I said they're too old.

Look at them now.

They are old. There's nothing wrong with that of course! But no amount of make up is going to be able to make them look as young as their roles. They'd have to do something convoluted like they did in Dimensions in Time, and that only worked because it was a comedy sketch, not an episode.

I fully support them coming back for radio things, and their voices could have been incorporated. But it's just naive to say that they all should have come back.
    Tom Baker has hardly changed since his Dimensions in Time appearance and Sylvester McCoy and Tom Baker would easily look the part now with a wig on and some hair dye.It would be harder with Colin Baker but still not impossible.

ReputationRep:
    What they could have done was something like each Doctor is taken from their relevant time-streams and then has stayed there aging trying to find a way out. Tennent and Smith get there last and together and find the other Doctor's who couldn't find each other before. Then we have one big group of awesomeness. As suggested in other suggestions the first three could be involved through something like holograms where they occassionally appear and witness what is going on.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if they will be having any screenings in cinemas on the sunday? Been trying to find out but can only find ones on saturday evening, which I can't go to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sea395)
    Does anyone know if they will be having any screenings in cinemas on the sunday? Been trying to find out but can only find ones on saturday evening, which I can't go to
    Think you'll have to watch it on Saturday if you want want to see it in cinemas. Afaik cinemas won't get a copy of the episode as its being screened live from BBC One. Probably to prevent leaks and what not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sea395)
    They have started doing later showings in some cinemas at 21:30 on the Saturday, so they may announce some at a later date. But it seems very unlikely, and there certain;ly hasn't been any indication that they would do this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Messy)
    Think you'll have to watch it on Saturday if you want want to see it in cinemas. Afaik cinemas won't get a copy of the episode as its being screened live from BBC One. Probably to prevent leaks and what not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Yoghurt)
    They have started doing later showings in some cinemas at 21:30 on the Saturday, so they may announce some at a later date. But it seems very unlikely, and there certain;ly hasn't been any indication that they would do this.
    Oh ok, thanks. Would be good if they did, but looks like it will be iPlayer for me :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    Just posted this in my Doodlepad thread, but felt it was relevant in here, too.

I call this quick doodle, "Don't call ME a Potato!"

(Linked from TotoMimo's Doodlepad: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...084979&page=11)

ReputationRep:
    oh my god! I wish they put in jenny, strax and vastra in the fiftieth - or even just river song. It is the fiftieth and they should include the major characters. If they could put in the brigadier it would be even better.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by MusicIsMyPoison)
    oh my god! I wish they put in jenny, strax and vastra in the fiftieth - or even just river song. It is the fiftieth and they should include the major characters. If they could put in the brigadier it would be even better.
    The brigadier (and the actor who played him) are dead so that's a tad hard

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.