Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ejminihane)
    £14,296
    Note that this is the rate for 12 months. If you're doing a 9-month Master's (the majority of Cambridge Master's are 9 months iirc), it's going to be more like £10,700.

Source: AHRC offer email

ReputationRep:
    I had a chat with the department a few of days ago. All nominations were done already, it is all up to the Trust now. From what I read, I think a tuition award for EU students who were nominated should be quite common. I am not so sure about the a stipend award.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that it's ok to message the department whether I was nominated for the Trust awards? Has anyone done so and received the reply?

Also, is I was not nominated, I cannot get the European nor the Santander Scholarship, right?

Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    It is ok. Just give them a call!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wellindeed)
    I had a chat with the department a few of days ago. All nominations were done already, it is all up to the Trust now. From what I read, I think a tuition award for EU students who were nominated should be quite common. I am not so sure about the a stipend award.
    May I ask where did you read it?

Even the composition fee would be great and made the school possible for me.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when they'll notify applicants of the partial Cambridge Trust Scholarship (postgraduate)? Not necesasrily the Cambridge International Scholarship which are for fully funded PhDs but just for any candidates in general.

ReputationRep:
    It can be as late as July. My partner found out in July before starting as did one of my close friends-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d1993)
    May I ask where did you read it?

Even the composition fee would be great and made the school possible for me.
    I have been trying to find the pages on Cambridge website, but I can't.

Anyway, they say that about 40% of graduate students receive support from Cambridge. In another page, I think they say that about 1/3 to 1/2 of students are nominated to the Cambridge Trust.

I am assuming that EU students have a significant advantage against non-EU students. This makes EU students who were nominated very likely to receive some form of award, since given that 40% of the total receive an award.

I am sure that there are plenty of small awards (£1k, for instance) that would count for those 40%. But since there are so many and the home fee is about £7k, I think is fair to think that EU students who were nominated are likely to either get a full fee award, or a significant fee reduction.

But I am sure this is far from a bullet proof argument...

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have just been offered a place on part III maths, does anybody know whether I need to accept my offer before colleges will start to consider me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sirtsugar)
    Hi I have just been offered a place on part III maths, does anybody know whether I need to accept my offer before colleges will start to consider me?
    Congrats! No, they will start looking for a college for you immediately. There's a deadline for accepting your offer, somewhere in the links in camsis. I _think_ it's 31st of July.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sirtsugar)
    Congrats, me too! Very exciting.

Does anyone know if, having already got an offer, you automatically get the same college when you get a second offer for a different course? Or does it make the rounds again?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if the part III maths will be covered by the new postgraduate loans?

Cannot find anything online about it.

I too have just been offered a place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haypenny)
    Congrats, me too! Very exciting.

Does anyone know if, having already got an offer, you automatically get the same college when you get a second offer for a different course? Or does it make the rounds again?
    My understanding is that it would make the rounds again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farchitect)
    My understanding is that it would make the rounds again.
    Ah, thanks! Fingers crossed...

ReputationRep:
    Just got "unsuccessful at Gonville and Caius-seeking college membership". I didn't even realise it was hard to get into this college given that it's 19th on the Tompkins table.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ready)
    Just got "unsuccessful at Gonville and Caius-seeking college membership". I didn't even realise it was hard to get into this college given that it's 19th on the Tompkins table.
    Tompkins table is irrelevant for postgraduate study.

ReputationRep:
    And popularity/prestige in general.

ReputationRep:
    I have been trying to find the pages on Cambridge website, but I can't.

Anyway, they say that about 40% of graduate students receive support from Cambridge. In another page, I think they say that about 1/3 to 1/2 of students are nominated to the Cambridge Trust.
    40% refers to the students who were admitted. As far as I know (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that means they met all their conditions (i.e. including the financial one) and got their offer confirmed. Referring to the graduate admission statistics for last year around 50% of offers were confirmed. Many of those applicants who have to turn down their offer do it precisely because of the funding issue.

I'm not sure about the ratios you gave for the Cambridge Trust but the website says (on the funding part) that the Cambridge Trust awards approximately around 500 scholarships. As there have been roughly 6500 conditional offers last year it wouldn't help very much even if 1/3 to 1/2 of applicants were put forward to the Trust (I didn't bother to look up the ratio MPhil/PhD offers, which may or may not give better odds for you). Surely, from those 6500 offers many will have different funding sources than the Cambridge Trust (colleges etc) but I still don't dare to believe that the odds are around 1/3 to 1/2 even for being put forward (though it would be great).

I am assuming that EU students have a significant advantage against non-EU students. This makes EU students who were nominated very likely to receive some form of award, since given that 40% of the total receive an award.
    Not sure why they should have a significant advantage except that they are eligible for fees only awards from the Research Councils, which would not be the Cambridge Trust itself.

I am sure that there are plenty of small awards (£1k, for instance) that would count for those 40%. But since there are so many and the home fee is about £7k, I think is fair to think that EU students who were nominated are likely to either get a full fee award, or a significant fee reduction.

But I am sure this is far from a bullet proof argument...
    The website actually says "41% of these students received a full award that covered both fees and living costs.", so yes, many partial awards.

ReputationRep:
    My camsis has just updated to "application with degree committee". What does this stage mean? What do they look for in the app?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys!

Just wondering if anybody could please help me out? I've applied two weeks ago and am still under consideration by the department.

The taught MPhil course that I have applied to says there is an interview. In general, do the panel grill you with technical questions or is it more of a general interview?

Thanks so much in advance!

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.