The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

what did everyone get for the fatty acid question? i dont understand why people are saying the second one was right :/ even though there was unsaturated fatty acids there was nothing from the question that said they were trans fat. please can someone explain?
Original post by asunny465
what did everyone get for the fatty acid question? i dont understand why people are saying the second one was right :/ even though there was unsaturated fatty acids there was nothing from the question that said they were trans fat. please can someone explain?

the first one
Original post by CharleaM
The one where you had to draw it and * the choral carbons? That one was [2] so I'd imagine one mark for the molecule and one for the correct chiral carbons.

Did u have to draw it on? I don't think I did that Fml
Original post by CharleaM
The one where you had to draw it and * the choral carbons? That one was [2] so I'd imagine one mark for the molecule and one for the correct chiral carbons.

Did u have to draw it on? I don't think I did that Fml....I made so many silly mistake n I need an A
Original post by Can't think name
Did u have to draw it on? I don't think I did that Fml

yes
Did u have to draw it on? I don't think I did that Fml....I made so many silly mistake n I need an A

Yeah it said mark with an asterisk (*)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GetOverHere
Yeah it said mark with an asterisk (*)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fml thx hopefully I'll get the mark for the structure
the answer in the book is 8.3 times 10 to the minus 4 dm6mol-2s-1

I don't understand how that can be the answer???? Any help appreciated :smile:
Original post by katiemckkk
the answer in the book is 8.3 times 10 to the minus 4 dm6mol-2s-1

I don't understand how that can be the answer???? Any help appreciated :smile:

1465988653329.jpg
The book is either wrong or you're looking at the wrong answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
image1 (1).JPG hahah looks like mine has the wrong answer at least I'm not going mad, thanks very much!! :smile:

Original post by pineneedles
1465988653329.jpg
The book is either wrong or you're looking at the wrong answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many marks was it for drawing the triglyceride..?
Original post by Emmax34
How many marks was it for drawing the triglyceride..?

2 marks, one for the correct structure, and one for the chiral centres.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lukemurp890
2 marks, one for the correct structure, and one for the chiral centres.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct

Mark scheme: https://goo.gl/gEi388
Original post by GMQ
inb4 57 for A*

it won't be that high lol
since when have ocr ever made a jump that big in grade boundaries. people are predicting 54 for a star but that would mean an increase of 8 marks from last year. highest between consecutive exams so far is like 5. i also think people are underestimating the number of weird questions in the paper compared other papers. it doesnt feel 8 marks harder than last years paper.
Anyone remember whether the other factor for isomerism was based on just Cis isomerism or both cis-trans?
Could someone please help me with calculating the pH of strong bases please? I understand that whenever you have water you have the H20 H+ + OH- equilibrium set up and I understand that you can assume from this:
Ka = [H+] [OH-] and therefore .... Kw = [H+] [OH-]
---------------
[H20]

but how do you use this to work out the [H+] when you add a base? surelyby adding OH- you are using up some of the H+ to produce H20, these are in the same proportions so what [H+] or [OH-] decreases by H20 increases by therefore you in the case of...

[H+] [OH-]
---------------
[H20

] you're then dividing a smaller number by a bigger number so how does KW remain constant? surely it would decrease? meaning you can't use 1 x10-14 :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mcdcph
Could someone please help me with calculating the pH of strong bases please? I understand that whenever you have water you have the H20 H+ + OH- equilibrium set up and I understand that you can assume from this:
Ka = [H+] [OH-] and therefore .... Kw = [H+] [OH-]
---------------
[H20]

but how do you use this to work out the [H+] when you add a base? surelyby adding OH- you are using up some of the H+ to produce H20, these are in the same proportions so what [H+] or [OH-] decreases by H20 increases by therefore you in the case of...

[H+] [OH-]
---------------
[H20

] you're then dividing a smaller number by a bigger number so how does KW remain constant? surely it would decrease? meaning you can't use 1 x10-14 :frown:

for a strong base the oh- conc is the same as the concentration of added alkali since all the alkali dissociates. therefore you use the kw equation. you know the conc of oh- and the value of kw(1.0x10-14) and so rearrange to find to H+ conc. then use ph= -log(h+) to get ur ph. dont worry about the concentration of of h+ and h20 decreasing and increasing it will only confuse you.
link to unofficial mark scheme please?
Guys how many marks was the 3 chiral carbon question?

2 marks!

1st mark for drawing tripeptide
2nd mark for labelling chiral carbons

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending