Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    12 + 15 + 20 + Q9 + Q10 is the best I can do, since I didn't do Q9 or 10.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Number Nine)
    hodor and ramsay die
    I can neither confirm nor deny such allegations

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drandy76)
    I can neither confirm nor deny such allegations

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)

I am sworn to not intervene in the realms of spoilers, my sole purpose is to create stark hype

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    How you gona get A* in physics.
    No one gets an A* in physics. No one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Might try to make it happen in the next three days, got nothing else to do lol. (PH5 on Tues.)
    Although it'd be for the bantz rather than anything purposeful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    Might try to make it happen in the next three days, got nothing else to do lol. (PH5 on Tues.)
    Same starting papers today. Me and zacken gna get A*.

ReputationRep:
    ffs gerbil stop leaving me out i feel so left out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    Yeah, pretty much the reason why I am thinking of exceeding my Physics offer.

ffs gerbil stop leaving me out I feel so left out

(Original post by Number Nine)
    ffs gerbil stop leaving me out i feel so left out
    I stole your line.

(btw you are too funny seriously :rofl:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L-Tyrosine)
    Can someone knowledgeable please predict my friend's performance:

q1 done except part 2

q8 done except part 3

q11 done

q9 part 1 done, part 2 attempted but need to get more details on how good of an attempt it was

q10 part 1 done, part 2 attempted but once again need to get more details

q2 and q4 were partially done but I don't know to what extent, so I'll update it when I find out but until then could someone please predict a lower bound for this performance? Thanks.
    Assuming "attempted" means he was on his way to the correct answer, and "done" means he got it right, your friend is probably looking at a 1 here. With the proviso for mistakes/ bad logic/ etc I would bring this down to a 1/2 grade.

I don't really see how you can partially do q4 unless he literally started it with 5 minutes left. I only see one way to do this in a reasonable amount of time, and the result falls out very quickly. Either he didn't get anywhere, or he made a small silly error and was close to a full solution. This is very much a "get it" question, just like Q3 and Q7.

(Original post by sweeneyrod)
    12 was definitely a gift. I wouldn't say 7 was easy (at least for me). 1 and 2 were both pretty accessible, and I'd say 3 was as well (as long as you realised you had to differentiate, rather than integrate).
    Yes, I missed this on Q3 when I briefly read over each question.

I think 7 is very easy; one solid diagram, knocking out the factors and it all follows apart from the coordinate transition at the end (which I doubt is worth more than 5 marks anyway). Although, I do say this having just done a maths/physics degree and not as an A-Level candidate.

Bottom line is, people aren't great at question selection in STEP. A lot of people stick exclusively to pure. So I dont necessarily expect higher grade boundaries just because of Qs 12 and 11.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llewellyn)
    Assuming "attempted" means he was on his way to the correct answer, and "done" means he got it right, your friend is probably looking at a 1 here. With the proviso for mistakes/ bad logic/ etc I would bring this down to a 1/2 grade.

I don't really see how you can partially do q4 unless he literally started it with 5 minutes left. I only see one way to do this in a reasonable amount of time, and the result falls out very quickly. Either he didn't get anywhere, or he made a small silly error and was close to a full solution. This is very much a "get it" question, just like Q3 and Q7.
    Yeah I think that was the case, he said it was a measly attempt. Thanks for the insights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llewellyn)
    I think 7 is very easy; one solid diagram, knocking out the factors and it all follows apart from the coordinate transition at the end (which I doubt is worth more than 5 marks anyway). Although, I do say this having just done a maths/physics degree and not as an A-Level candidate.
    I can see that it could be a quick question, but for me at least it was hard to get (since I don't have the benefit of a maths degree!)

ReputationRep:
    Can someone predict my performance please

1 - first part only (showing I1)

2 - did all except the distance is less than a/sqrt(2), but for parts ii and iii i didn't find the coordinates only and expression which was independent of p

3 - full (explanation may have been lacking slightly)

4 - not a lot at all, 2 or 3 marks

8 - full

9 - showed extension for the first part and then got an expression for the tension, but the bit inside the square root was wrong, must have rushed the cosine rule in the last few minutes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamm691)
    Can someone predict my performance please

1 - first part only (showing I1)

2 - did all except the distance is less than a/sqrt(2), but for parts ii and iii i didn't find the coordinates only and expression which was independent of p

3 - full (explanation may have been lacking slightly)

4 - not a lot at all, 2 or 3 marks

8 - full

9 - showed extension for the first part and then got an expression for the tension, but the bit inside the square root was wrong, must have rushed the cosine rule in the last few minutes
    I would say around about 5+10+18+3+20+ probably 10 ish but not done the question = high 60s so should be a clear 1

ReputationRep:
    Can someone give me an idea of how many marks I've got in II and III, please? Thank you!

II
    Spoiler:
    Show
    2. Did all of the long division etc. for both parts showing it was a factor but couldn't factorise.

3. Did (i) correctly, (ii) i think was correct, then moved on.

6. Did (i) (ii) and the show that of (iii) mostly correctly, maybe missing justification in some parts.

7. I did the show that, (i), (iii) and working for (ii) but didn't really get anywhere. I used the given formula to simplify and messed around with it a bit.

9. Got (i) and an expression for c but not b, and then moved on.

11. Fully correct except my reasoning might have been a little iffy for the last bit about  \alpha > \beta
    III
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1. Got all of (i) and (iii) but only used a sub in (ii) and simplified it down, did IBP once and moved on.

2. Just found equations of normals and attempted to simplify, then moved on.

4. All of (i), began to rearrange (ii) in terms of  e and moved on.

6. Got (i) and (ii) and some messy working for (iii) and (iv) that is iffy and missing some cases.

8. All fully correct.

ReputationRep:
    Why can we not register for the results until 5 days before the results are posted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ホク水ね)
    Can someone give me an idea of how many marks I've got in II and III, please? Thank you!

II
    Spoiler:
    Show
    2. Did all of the long division etc. for both parts showing it was a factor but couldn't factorise.

3. Did (i) correctly, (ii) i think was correct, then moved on.

6. Did (i) (ii) and the show that of (iii) mostly correctly, maybe missing justification in some parts.

7. I did the show that, (i), (iii) and working for (ii) but didn't really get anywhere. I used the given formula to simplify and messed around with it a bit.

9. Got (i) and an expression for c but not b, and then moved on.

11. Fully correct except my reasoning might have been a little iffy for the last bit about  \alpha > \beta
    III
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1. Got all of (i) and (iii) but only used a sub in (ii) and simplified it down, did IBP once and moved on.

2. Just found equations of normals and attempted to simplify, then moved on.

4. All of (i), began to rearrange (ii) in terms of  e and moved on.

6. Got (i) and (ii) and some messy working for (iii) and (iv) that is iffy and missing some cases.

8. All fully correct.
    For III:
    Id guess around 17+5+11+14+20=high 60s/ low 70s Id guess so definite 1

Afraid Id have to have another look at the II paper since i havent thought about it in a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student0042)
    Why can we not register for the results until 5 days before the results are posted?
    Apparently some years people have registered earlier and been 'locked out' of the system so its just a precaution so u can access ur results on results day properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Apparently some years people have registered earlier and been 'locked out' of the system so its just a precaution so u can access ur results on results day properly.
    Oh, alright. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    For III:
    Id guess around 17+5+11+14+20=high 60s/ low 70s Id guess so definite 1

Afraid Id have to have another look at the II paper since i havent thought about it in a while.
    No problem, thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Can someone predict my marks?

Q3: Part (i)

Q4: Full, except for the last part, I got the sum from -∞ to ∞ wrong

Q5: Full

Q6: Parts (i), (ii), (iii), but in (iii) I didn't consider the case b≥√(1+a²). I tried part (iv) too but failed one of the derivatives and got no answer.

Q8: Full, but I got wrong final result in part (iii). The method was good, I made a mistake in the last line of the solution.

Q12: Part (i)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.