The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ar5enal Fan
Why are our back up players so bad? It was a terrible performance today by everyone. Squillaci and Koscielny remains one of the worst defensive partnerships we've ever had, if we have them two defending against Barca it won't be too dissimilar to what happened when we had Silvestre in defence against them last season. At least United's first team is so average that when they bring someone else in there isn't much difference, in fact they probably are better with players like Hernandez playing rather than Rooney. For us there is such a big drop in quality, we go from having the likes of Cesc and Van Persie to bringing in Denilson and Bendtner. As a result our performances suffer badly, and now with Nasri out for 3 weeks and probably more knowing our luck I can see us dropping silly points in the league again.

Only hope is for Rosicky of the old to turn up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhzDs32h_1o&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0-hyWPeGJA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMUTr4UQh5g

*sigh* he also seems to have gained a lot of weight over time

He used to be one of my favourite players... hope he can improve soon enough
Original post by rhinger
I lol'd.

Lol @ United. When Fergie's gone, United's gone.

We'll find it hard to replace Fergie, but you'll find it just as hard to replace Wenger.

Original post by rhinger
To be frank, I'd much rather have performances like these every once in a while. It's good to know that your team has space of improvement.

Imagine how boring the La Liga and the Copa del Rey must be for Barca and Real fans at the moment?

Tough competition and complacency reminds a team of humility.

Whut? Dominating opponents is what all the top sides aim to achieve. They want to win absolutely everything in sight with little complacency (in cup competitions especially where there is little room for error). Don't try and hide Arsenal's failings here. The performance today isn't a 'once in a while' performance, happened very recently against Leeds at home, unless you consider that a while go. Performances like that have cost you defeats/points in the Premiership and your main failure (Squillaci) doesn't seem like improving anytime soon.
Reply 2482
Original post by Mastermind`

We'll find it hard to replace Fergie, but you'll find it just as hard to replace Wenger.

In all honesty, Wenger's glory days are gone. 5 seasons and running without a trophy proves that Wenger has lost his flair.

Whut? Dominating opponents is what all the top sides aim to achieve. They want to win absolutely everything in sight with little complacency (in cup competitions especially where there is little room for error). Don't try and hide Arsenal's failings here. The performance today isn't a 'once in a while' performance, happened very recently against Leeds at home, unless you consider that a while go. Performances like that have cost you defeats/points in the Premiership and your main failure (Squillaci) doesn't seem like improving anytime soon.

I meant to add the Leeds part, just forgot to edit it.

And you, as a United supporter, would surely remember how tense the league was in 2006-07, 2007-08, and 2008-09, when United simply had to graze past massive competition to win the league, yes?

I would hate to support a team that wins all its games.

Draws, losses, and such disappointments always show you how precious wins are, especially in a league like this year's, where losing out on 3 points can mean a lot in the third week of May.
Original post by Ar5enal Fan
Why are our back up players so bad? It was a terrible performance today by everyone. Squillaci and Koscielny remains one of the worst defensive partnerships we've ever had, if we have them two defending against Barca it won't be too dissimilar to what happened when we had Silvestre in defence against them last season. At least United's first team is so average that when they bring someone else in there isn't much difference, in fact they probably are better with players like Hernandez playing rather than Rooney. For us there is such a big drop in quality, we go from having the likes of Cesc and Van Persie to bringing in Denilson and Bendtner. As a result our performances suffer badly, and now with Nasri out for 3 weeks and probably more knowing our luck I can see us dropping silly points in the league again.

Agreed we should make our youth team our reserves instead of this lot. I bet you JET and lansbury are a lot better than bendtner and denilson
Original post by rhinger
In all honesty, Wenger's glory days are gone. 5 seasons and running without a trophy proves that Wenger has lost his flair.

I meant to add the Leeds part, just forgot to edit it.

And you, as a United supporter, would surely remember how tense the league was in 2006-07, 2007-08, and 2008-09, when United simply had to graze past massive competition to win the league, yes?

I would hate to support a team that wins all its games.

Draws, losses, and such disappointments always show you how precious wins are, especially in a league like this year's, where losing out on 3 points can mean a lot in the third week of May.

He'll still be difficult to replace. Pretty sure you'll want someone who plays great football AND wins trophies.

Yes. But it didn't make the league any more enjoyable for me. Ideally, I'd rather win the league while blowing everyone else away, grazing past teams isn't good for my heart. Besides, having it all wrapped up by February means you can focus on the CL. Anyhow, even if we play badly, I'd never hide the performances as a reminder of the squad to be humble or a reminder that they have space for improvement. After 5 years without a trophy, you'd think Arsenal players should know how much improving they need to do. Or perhaps they have improved all they can and they're just not good enough? :iiam:

No team wins all its games, not even Barca and Real Madrid. I'm not a fan of those teams but I'd imagine that Barca fans enjoy the way they sort of set the benchmark.
Reply 2485
What the hell is Denilson still doing in our team when we have Ramsey out on loan.
A disgusting performance from him.

Nasri now out as well and Eboue is not looking safe at RB. If we lose by Barca by only 3 goals it will be a miracle at this rate.
Only good things to come from watching that **** for 90 mins was getting the win and potentially a return to form for Tomas Rosicky. He certainly looked a lot sharper.

Arshavin to start the next few games then...this is either going to go spectacularly brilliant or spectacularly bad. There's never a middle ground with Arshavin. Lets pray the fat **** starts finding the net.
Reply 2487
Losing Nasri is a massive, massive blow - though it possibly have been taken in a positive light if we didn't have to face Barcelona soon (in that Arshavin might regain form). It's imperative that we win at home if we are to stand a fighting chance of remaining in the CL.
...or not.
Reply 2489
Nasri out for 3 weeks..... ****
Original post by Overmars
Arshavin to start the next few games then...this is either going to go spectacularly brilliant or spectacularly bad. There's never a middle ground with Arshavin. Lets pray the fat **** starts finding the net.

When he made that last ditch sliding tackle I thought maybe he might have introduced tracking back into his game, then I saw that he'd hurt himself doing it and realised that it's never going happen again. At least he made it through the 90 minutes this time without going for a pie break.
Reply 2491
Arsene Wenger, on the possibility of signing a new player this window.

"But I cannot tell you definitely no because if somebody knocks at my door in the morning and says 'I would like to play for you' and he is a good player, I will sign him."

Highly encouraging (it was never going to happen anyway).

But you feel that something has to give soon: Squillaci is now suspended, Koscielny is one card away from another suspension, Djourou is beginning to look fatigued (and without him, the defence is ****). I'm beginning to think that a defender as backup but ahead of Squillaci would be a good idea.
Last day of the transfer window today too, I'm reasonably confident we'll bring in one player - not sure what position it will be though.

Won't be surprised if Almunia and/or Denilson leave today.
Reply 2493
Original post by marcusmerehay
Last day of the transfer window today too, I'm reasonably confident we'll bring in one player - not sure what position it will be though.

Won't be surprised if Almunia and/or Denilson leave today.

Tbh, I can't really see anything happening. Wenger has said that he didn't find anyone, and he'll say that we don't need anyone either now that Squillaci is back. He's also said that we won't be selling anyone - I would be hugely surprised if Almunia leaves, but I'd be pretty shocked if Denilson did.
Would be good if we could get a CB on loan from somewhere but I doubt we'll see any activity in or out today, surprise us again Arsene :cool:
Reply 2495
Original post by Economist
Would be good if we could get a CB on loan from somewhere but I doubt we'll see any activity in or out today

That's exactly what Wenger said... :holmes:
Reply 2496
No one is coming in today, and no one is going either. Unfortunately.
nothing's going to happen today is it..damn you wenger..
Reply 2498
I agree that nothing is likely to happen regarding Arsenal transfers today. However, I'm not really that concerned about it - the only player we might have done with was a decent-ish CB on loan, and we can probably force our way through the season without one (especially if, as reports claim, Vermaelen is back at the end of the month). :yep:
Reply 2499
I think you guys should try bidding for Howard Webbe and his associates. Could be the difference between being runners up and winning the league :yep:

You just need to persuade SAF to sell them to you.

Latest